Hi.

Have you guys ever heard of Troy Grady? He has a site called cracking the code that's been around a long time. The site looks at virtuoso guitar picking technique and the players and mechanics behind it. He recently released season 1 of his cracking the code video series which explores his experience with guitar techniques and various guitarists and styles.

Here is the 1st episode of season two that delves into the actual techniques and in particular looks in depth at Yngwie's technique - which can be applicable to any guitar style.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TnddE2k598
Last edited by tomhere at Aug 7, 2014,
Quite familiar with Troy and the Cracking The Code series, but I don't think this is really a guide to correct picking mechanics. This is a way of doing it that really helps with what Malmsteen does; that is ending every string on an upstroke. If you want to do what someone like Paul Gilbert does (or did back when he picked a lot more), or what John Petrucci does, then you can't rely on what Troy's presenting here.

Still, I'll probably watch the rest of Season 2 when I can; should be interesting if only to see what else Troy has to say about it all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I should say a video series on correct pick mechanics.

However, what he presents here according to Troy in this particular video is applicable to Yngwie, Shawn Lane (whose technique according to Troy is identical to Yngwie save for Shawns trailing edge picking), EVH, Eric Johnson and Django Rheinhardt and many other guitarists. Granted, these players all have different styles and play different things, but they are also all essentially downward pick slanters requiring for ease the upstroke string shift and all do it.

He is also going to cover up/downward multi pick slanters like Paul Gilbert, MAB, Rusty Cooley (who does everything) and other variations like the primarily up and sometimes down pick slanter Vinnie Moore in coming episodes. I agree it should be interesting.
Last edited by tomhere at Aug 8, 2014,
Quote by Freepower
Looking forward to this, I had no idea Cracking The Code was actually out after all this time!

Season 1 dropped about... 2-3 months ago now I think. I was seriously surprised when I found out, I'd considered it dead along with everyone else

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, I'd heard whispers every now and again that Troy had it in the works but that it's actually here is blowing my mind. Just checked the blog posts I remember, it's been about 8 years! It's fantastic he's making it freely available and the production is great, I guess it was time well spent!
I gotta admit, its hard to believe that Yngwie structures ALL of his playing so that EVERY string cross is done after an upstroke. I can see it if he planned out certain pet licks that he wanted to play at top speed....but as much and as fast as he improvises, it would be mind boggling to think that he sets up EVERY string cross to be after an upstroke

as one who favors inside picking, I have worked on certain "pet" licks that feature only inside picking, but if I improvise then obviously sometimes it will be outside string crosses too
Quote by JohnProphet
I gotta admit, its hard to believe that Yngwie structures ALL of his playing so that EVERY string cross is done after an upstroke. I can see it if he planned out certain pet licks that he wanted to play at top speed....but as much and as fast as he improvises, it would be mind boggling to think that he sets up EVERY string cross to be after an upstroke

as one who favors inside picking, I have worked on certain "pet" licks that feature only inside picking, but if I improvise then obviously sometimes it will be outside string crosses too

Of course he doesn't. You didn't watch to the end.
Quote by Facecut
Of course he doesn't. You didn't watch to the end.

hmmm, just watched to the end again. After he figured out Yngwies picking pattern I dont hear him say anything about whether it applies to ALL of Yngwies playing or just to certain licks

Im slightly dubius because it just seems immensely complex to me. So his right hand is paused in midair at some point while his left hand throws in a pulloff at megaspeed?
Quote by JohnProphet
hmmm, just watched to the end again. After he figured out Yngwies picking pattern I dont hear him say anything about whether it applies to ALL of Yngwies playing or just to certain licks

Im slightly dubius because it just seems immensely complex to me. So his right hand is paused in midair at some point while his left hand throws in a pulloff at megaspeed?

I really don't find it that hard to believe; if it's something you're used to doing a lot as part of written parts then it's going to be the kind of thing that seeps in to your improv playing when you've been doing basically the same thing for as long as Malmsteen has.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.