I've been mocked publicly and privately, online and in person, for having a bunch of guitars and pedals and only one amp...but even moreso for not having recorded any of my playing.

It bugs me, too, since I have come up with several compositions, but have forgotten how some of them go. (I never learned how to write sheet music or tab.) If nothing else, recording my stuff would let me revisit pieces I haven't played in months. Bonus: if/when said recordings get put into a digital format, I'll be able to manipulate them in my ReacTable app, anywhere I carry my iPad.

I may or may not buy an Orange, Mesa/Boogie or some such in the future, but the only recording gear I own is a Tascam GT-R1 and a Teac microphone from the mid 1970s,

This means I have not even an inkling of a clue as to how to mic an amp to record what comes out of it. Nor do I have even HALF of that as to what I'd need to spend on gear to do so.

I don't need a pro setup. I don't have ROOM for a pro setup. I just want to be able to record an amp/axe/pedal setup at reasonable volumes with a microphone...into something.

So...ideas? Quality, ease of use, and capacity are my main concerns, followed by cost and space.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You can go the Pod HD > USB > DAW route. Music Go Round has a few Pod HDs for $300.

A good mic, cable, and interface (and probably a stand) will run you a few hundred bucks. Can probably shave off a lot by buying used.

I'd really like to get some of these things to be able to do basic clips. I think it would be a lot of fun...

EDIT: I believe the Peavey Vypyr Tube has a USB out for recording. Those are relatively cheap.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It bugs me, too, since I have come up with several compositions, but have forgotten how some of them go. (I never learned how to write sheet music or tab.)

I also have this exact problem.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Aug 7, 2014,
Well, I already have Korg and Tascam digital modelers that would let me go directly from them into the computer. I'm looking to figure out what I need- gear AND approximate budget- for recording what comes out of my amp & pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've been mocked publicly and privately, online and in person, for having a bunch of guitars and pedals and only one amp...but even moreso for not having recorded any of my playing.

what a dick

Quote by dannyalcatraz

So...ideas? Quality, ease of use, and capacity are my main concerns, followed by cost and space.

those are indeed the deciding factors on what type of recording setup you want to purchase. it's not like back in the day when i started, where you only option was pretty much a cassette tape based 4 track recorder.

if you are really looking for the simplest setup for ease of use then something like your gt-r1. the limitation being that you won't be able to do much more than record a performance, there is little to no multi tracking capability on such a thing.

for capacity, i am not sure what you mean. but if that means being able to record a bunch of music on it, then that is no problem almost any digital recorder will be able to record hours of music before you have to dump it on a computer.

you can go with a standalone recording unit then something like a tascam portastudio will serve your needs, though generally if anyone is planning on going this route i tend to steer them toward just getting an interface and using a DAW. it tends to be far more flexible and usable that way.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I know the Tascam has the twin mics, but I was under the impression it would handle acoustic guitar much better than an amplified electric. I was thinking I'd need something beefier for that. Am I wrong?

For recording, I've got an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (IIRC it was $150) as my digital interface. For a mic, I have a Shure SM7B ($350). If I wasn't also a singer, I'd have gotten the SM58 we all know and not the SM7B. I simply plug in the mic into the DI, open a DAW and hit record (no, it isn't really that simple. Of course you'll have to venture into your own and learn). It's what you want- quality and efficiency of tangible space. It also doesn't break the bank too much. If you're really a lawyer with a lot of guitars and can afford to plan for an Orange/Mesa Boogie, I imagine this would be a comfortable set of purchases.

It's by no means a "pro" setup, but it opens up a lot of possibilities should you choose to do more with recording in the future. It's pretty flexible, and digital interfaces, as opposed to other methods of recording, are probably more popular than anything else.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know the Tascam has the twin mics, but I was under the impression it would handle acoustic guitar much better than an amplified electric. I was thinking I'd need something beefier for that. Am I wrong?
Should be fine. You may get better quality with a more directional mic. But you can probably plug the mic into the Tascam as long as it's a dynamic mic. Also a multifx will plug into that Tascam as well and sound good.
Recordings thread, Interfaces sticky. Loads of advice there.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Is it in this forum? 'Cause I didn't notice them. If they're not, got a link?

It's in Recordings, not GG&A.

Here you go:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771

(If you go full on with software, there's also a sticky over there with loads of amp sim recommendations).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Nah, I really want to record what my carpet o' pedals sounds like. Thanks for the link!

And, of course, thanks to all for the other suggestions!

I use a Zoom digital 8 track. I do use a POD with it so far as getting a decent recording of my live setup has proven harder than I thought. keep in mind that it's not just the gear but also the room etc that comes into play. if you have a decent practice room then you will most likely have more success.
Welp, since you only have one amp, it should be pretty easy to get you set up to record...

You no doubt know that you can record directly into the GT-R1, so all you really have to do is connect the last pedal to it and set an amp simulator on in the effect section?

You can also set the GT-R1 near the amp and use the built in mics. Yes, it will work. Experiment with distances and levels.

You could also purchase an SM57 and mic stand, plug it into the GT-R1 and close mic your amp (Slightly off axis etc etc., there are others here that know vastly more than I do about this!)

That's about all you would NEED to get started.

Of course if you had another amp, then you could get even more sonic versatility in your recording...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I think what I'm going to do at this point is go buy a stand to mount the Tascam on and see what I get with its mics. I'm not going to be playing loudly- no more than 3-4 on my HRD- so maybe it'll be up to the task.

If that doesn't work, I'll revisit the topic!

Again, thanks, everyone!

For a point of reference here is a clip of a buddy and me plugged into the same amp (dual inputs) and recording with a cheaper Tascam than yours. It was sitting about 2 ft from the amp on a small footstool. Put a rhythm into the looper and then we are just jamming over it. He's playing the slide.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/fly135/music/play991558
Presonus has an audiobox+condenser mic set for under 200 bucks (i think it's 150) that can do some pretty good recordings.