It looks like a spambot thread, but I'm not a spambot. My programmers assured me that.

Anyway, its grand opening was a mere four hours ago. Has anyone gone to check it out yet? I'm planning to go there soon, hopefully to find some of the gear I've been wanting to hear for my own ears (e.g. PRS S2 Mira, Teletronix Mullholland Drive, many more). I look forward to checking out the 28,000 sq. ft. worth of space some time this week (I think that's about 2,600 sq. m. for those of you don't use the unreasonable mess of a system of measurement that is the Imperial System).
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 7, 2014,
I thought GC was hemorrhaging money? Great store location but I can't imagine it'll help with that issue.

Still, it's awesome advertising/PR if they can afford it. There's been a bit of a vacuum since most of the 48th street stores closed.
Quote by Roc8995
I thought GC was hemorrhaging money? Great store location but I can't imagine it'll help with that issue.

Still, it's awesome advertising/PR if they can afford it. There's been a bit of a vacuum since most of the 48th street stores closed.

This store was bought in January, but this article was written in April.

I don't know if they planned something before planning to put a store there, but it's reassuring to know they're not so far in debt.
28,000sq ft is just over 1/1000 of a sq mile.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 8, 2014,
Quote by mmolteratx
28,000sq ft is just over 1/100 of a sq mile.

Yikes. When I did the conversion in my head, I must have skipped the "sq." part of it. That's embarrassing.
You should have went to the grand opening.
I went to the one in Hollywood years ago and it was fun. From what I remember anyway.
Got lots of free stuff, even if it was crap.
Like buy one set of strings, get 11 sets free.
Quote by mmolteratx
28,000sq ft is just over 1/1000 of a sq mile.

Yeah... 2600 sq miles is 5.5 times the size of New York City...

Might as well just rename it the state of Guitar Center at that point...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Oh God, imagine the noise of being in Guitar Center covering an entire state.

Depends on the state. Wouldn't be too bad if it was like Alaska or something. Granted, the cold might not be great for the guitars(Alaska is like America's fridge, right?).
But if it was Alaska, you'd be too far away from anyone else to really hear them.
And you'd probably have to take a helicopter or something to get to stuff you wanted to try. And you'd get really filthy looks if you tried a whole bunch of different guitars, and then bought a packet of strings.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yeah... 2600 sq miles is 5.5 times the size of New York City...

Might as well just rename it the state of Guitar Center at that point...

That time I didn't make a mistake. The "sq. m." is shorthand for square meters, "mi" is shorthand for miles.

2,600 sq. m. = 27,986.14 square feet ≈ 28,000 square feet
Quote by CodeMonk
You should have went to the grand opening.
I went to the one in Hollywood years ago and it was fun. From what I remember anyway.
Got lots of free stuff, even if it was crap.
Like buy one set of strings, get 11 sets free.

Yeah, went to a grand opening of a new store here in the Houston area. Both my kids won $100 gift cards, I got a crappy T-Shirt...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I walked right by there in April when we visited friends in Manhattan (we stayed right in Times Square), & I saw no sign of a GC being built. Weird. There was all sorts of construction going on in the area at the time though. Little did I know there would be a music Mecca. Oh well. Gives me another good reason to go back
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I walked right by there in April when we visited friends in Manhattan (we stayed right in Times Square), & I saw no sign of a GC being built. Weird. There was all sorts of construction going on in the area at the time though. Little did I know there would be a music Mecca. Oh well. Gives me another good reason to go back

That's funny, because I think many (most) of us have a sort of love/hate thing going on with GC. I love the prices and the selection, I hate having to smile and wait while some knobhead "explains" to me that what I think I need isn't what I really need, and what I really need is this piece of shit fine piece of gear that's even on SALE!

Yeah, you can tell them to piss off, but I try really hard not to be as abrupt and rude in public as I am on the internet...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
That's funny, because I think many (most) of us have a sort of love/hate thing going on with GC. I love the prices and the selection, I hate having to smile and wait while some knobhead "explains" to me that what I think I need isn't what I really need, and what I really need is this piece of shit fine piece of gear that's even on SALE!

Yeah, you can tell them to piss off, but I try really hard not to be as abrupt and rude in public as I am on the internet...

I'm not GC's biggest fan by any means, but it's VERY convenient for me if I want to try some stuff. Between the San Jose store & San Francisco store, you can try a ridiculous amount of cool high end shit, & no one bugs you. The SJ store is literally 4 blocks from my work on the same street.
I just act like I know what I'm doing, & they just leave me alone, esp once they hear me play a little & realize I'm not a complete noob, which they prey on I've never had to be rude. I would not be tolerant of a pesky salesman though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
e, esp once they hear me play a little & realize I'm not a complete noob, which they prey on

Wow...I am sufficiently chastised...

Also......

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Wow...I am sufficiently chastised...

Also......

Sorry, Arby! I certainly didn't mean it that way
Maybe the sales guys out here are trained to not be too pushy to keep people coming into the store. In CA they're losing tons of business to the internet, so they really try to be helpful without getting in your way generally. I do see sales people gravitate toward those novice players who like to turn up really loud, & offer them guidance
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
I'm not GC's biggest fan by any means, but it's VERY convenient for me if I want to try some stuff. Between the San Jose store & San Francisco store, you can try a ridiculous amount of cool high end shit, & no one bugs you. The SJ store is literally 4 blocks from my work on the same street.
I just act like I know what I'm doing, & they just leave me alone, esp once they hear me play a little & realize I'm not a complete noob, which they prey on I've never had to be rude. I would not be tolerant of a pesky salesman though.

I always play Stairway and Smoke on the Water.
Quote by chrismendiola
This store was bought in January, but this article was written in April.

I don't know if they planned something before planning to put a store there, but it's reassuring to know they're not so far in debt.

Functionally, they're still in deep trouble, and the debt swap didn't help them. They're simply now owned by Ares. If you haven't noticed the VERY thin shelves in your local GC and that they've rotated the guitars to be flat on (rather than at an angle) so that it *appears* they have a full wall of guitars, you will. You'll also note that PRS has mostly disappeared from a lot of GCs, that the amp shelves have liberal airspace between the amps, that the used/vintage wall has mostly $199 guitars and that there are a LOT more no-name cheapos hanging. Far fewer higher end guitars, no backup boxes on the shelves, etc. I'm expecting Ares to begin dumping stores as leases come to an end.
Quote by dspellman
Functionally, they're still in deep trouble, and the debt swap didn't help them. They're simply now owned by Ares. If you haven't noticed the VERY thin shelves in your local GC and that they've rotated the guitars to be flat on (rather than at an angle) so that it *appears* they have a full wall of guitars, you will. You'll also note that PRS has mostly disappeared from a lot of GCs, that the amp shelves have liberal airspace between the amps, that the used/vintage wall has mostly $199 guitars and that there are a LOT more no-name cheapos hanging. Far fewer higher end guitars, no backup boxes on the shelves, etc. I'm expecting Ares to begin dumping stores as leases come to an end.

I actually did notice some things a week ago. It could just be the natural highs and lows of inventory, since I've only been playing for three years- seriously for one. I was disappointed in the lack of PRS because I wanted to try an S2 series. The salesman told me that the store was going to stop carrying USA PRS guitars. The used guitar section seemed to hold more Squier-quality guitars than usual. Where the used amps section were an H&K, Fender Twins, etc. now holds a B-52 enclosure, an Ibanez TSX150, etc. The two Guitar Centers near me haven't changed the angling of guitars, though.

I have no interest in business/finance, so all I know is that they were in debt and were bought by Bain Capital and then bought again.
The last few years have seen a huge downgrade in inventory except in tier 1 stores. I started playing 11 or 12 years ago, and the inventory even the smaller GCs carried back then was crazy. Walls of custom shop Gibsons/Fenders, high end PRSs, and vintage gear that they'd let just about anyone play. I remember going to the opening of the tier 2 south store in Austin back in 2005 and the amount of gear they had packed into such a small store was absolutely insane. Amps stacked on top of each other, walls packed with guitars as tightly as possible, etc.

The only real plus that's come in the last few years is that their selection of pedals is 1000x what it was back in the day. Used to be just the big brands (Boss, EHX, MXR), a few mid sized brands and then the cheap garbage. Now most stores have selections on par with most decent local places.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Interesting. I was just in NYC two weeks ago and I didn't see any store being set up.

Buying gear in NY seems terrible though. Those sales taxes are murderous.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 9, 2014,
My favorite is the lefty making all the poses while playing. So hardxcore.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Seref
Interesting. I was just in NYC two weeks ago and I didn't see any store being set up.

Buying gear in NY seems terrible though. Those sales taxes are murderous.

That's why I buy everything online.

But I find it weird that they opened up a Times Square location. It's only a few blocks away from music row and those shops have been closing left and right. The only guitar store left there is Rudy's. If Sam Ash in that historic location had to close it's doors, I doubt a Guitar Center there would be very successful. Who comes to NYC to buy a guitar from GC anyway? There are tons of GCs everywhere. Why come to NYC to pay more for something due to tax when you can get cheaper at a GC that's closer to your home. If you're coming to NYC to buy a guitar, you should go to a more historic and renowned place. And I doubt it's for people who in the city because there's another GC 2 stops away.
Quote by jpnyc
Gothamist has video from the new store. Unsurprisingly, a Guitar Center in a giant 24/7 tourist trap neighborhood is the most aurally offense spot on earth.

This is pretty much why I'm waiting to go there. Hopefully, it won't be as crowded as it was in the video. It's packed enough in NYC, I'd hate to add a bunch of noise in the mix.

Quote by JELIFISH19
But I find it weird that they opened up a Times Square location. It's only a few blocks away from music row and those shops have been closing left and right. The only guitar store left there is Rudy's. If Sam Ash in that historic location had to close it's doors, I doubt a Guitar Center there would be very successful. Who comes to NYC to buy a guitar from GC anyway? There are tons of GCs everywhere. Why come to NYC to pay more for something due to tax when you can get cheaper at a GC that's closer to your home. If you're coming to NYC to buy a guitar, you should go to a more historic and renowned place. And I doubt it's for people who in the city because there's another GC 2 stops away.

I don't plan on buying anything there, but to try out gear that I'm not able to try otherwise before buying. I wish this was around when I was shopping for my Rockerverb- I saw one in the video posted above.

But yeah, I'm going with a specific goal in mind. It's definitely a head-scratcher that there was a store established in that particular location.
Quote by Roc8995

Basically, they were bought out by Bain Capital years ago, financed by the addition of a large amount of GC debt. Unfortunately for them, there was a recession, followed by long term stagnation.

So while their stores have continued to be profitable, they've barely been able to make the debt payments. Early this year, Ares bought a large chunk of the company in exchange for paying off $500 million of their debt, reducing the size of the payments they have to make. They're continuing to expand in order to reduce the size of their debt relative to their revenues.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by JELIFISH19
But I find it weird that they opened up a Times Square location. It's only a few blocks away from music row and those shops have been closing left and right.

It’s all about the high-end stuff those other stores don’t sell. Because it was in a college neighborhood the old Union Square GC flagship never did a good job of moving the high-end guitars they were trying to sell. I saw $10,000+ guitars collect dust in that store for months at a time. But in Times Square they’ll probably sell at least six figures a month to wealthy tourists buying vintage or limited edition guitars. Even if all that does is pay the rent they can just treat the rest of the store as marketing for middle-class American tourists.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s all about the high-end stuff those other stores don’t sell. Because it was in a college neighborhood the old Union Square GC flagship never did a good job of moving the high-end guitars they were trying to sell. I saw $10,000+ guitars collect dust in that store for months at a time. But in Times Square they’ll probably sell at least six figures a month to wealthy tourists buying vintage or limited edition guitars. Even if all that does is pay the rent they can just treat the rest of the store as marketing for middle-class American tourists.

+1