I have an ibanez and i've always thought that the positions were as goes
1 Bridge Humbucker
2 Split coiled bridge
3 Bridge and Neck humbuckers
4 Neck coil split
5 Neck Humbucker

by position 1, i mean the switch is all the way back and so on

but recently i saw someone say other wise, can anyone confirm?
What's the model? The Ibanez product page may tell you what the settings are.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
if its anything like a prs then:

1 bridge humbucker
2 bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil
3 bridge and neck humbuckers
4 neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil
5 neck humbucker
Quote by VeilSide
if its anything like a prs then:

1 bridge humbucker
2 bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil
3 bridge and neck humbuckers
4 neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil
5 neck humbucker

see thats the other positions that someone told me and thats why im confused, i've looked on the ibanez website and can't seem to find anything about it, not even the manual specify's

The 2 humbucker RG421's use this. Hopefully it is relevant.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

The 2 humbucker RG421's use this. Hopefully it is relevant.

wow thanks, how did you find that??? im going to try and find one for my guitar specifically, anyways thanks, and what does parallel mean on a pickup???
If Ibanez has a model listed on their website, they provide a diagram of the pickup selector.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=284&color=CL01

I'm not knowledgeable on humbucker parallels.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
from my experience, when pickups are wired in parallel they have somewhat a single coil - y sound.
and when wired in in series they make the 'humbucker hot' sound.

probably duo to different loads on each coil in each wiring method.
Last edited by VeilSide at Aug 7, 2014,
If you have the guitar just touch the pole pieces with something metal to find out which pickup is active.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Unless I'm mistaken, parallel connected pickups are like positions 2 and 4 on Fender Stratocaster. Two single coils together which cancels hum.
Last edited by darrenram1 at Aug 8, 2014,
Quote by darrenram1
Unless I'm mistaken, parallel connected pickups are like positions 2 and 4 on Fender Stratocaster. Two single coils together which cancels hum.

you're mistaken. we're talking about double humbucker guitars here.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
You can run each humbucker pickup in serial (normal humbucker), parallel (a thinner sounding but still humbucking mode) and either coil by itself. There are other variations, of course, that include wiring into one of the coils and including just *part* of it to reduce hum and still have a more or less single coil mode.

There are a lot of things you can do with a pair of humbuckers -- Gibson's original L6S has a six-way pickup selector. Three of the selections are as you'd expect, and include bridge only, neck only and bridge plus neck (serial mode, in phase), the standards. The other three selections are all bridge plus neck, but include a serial mode out of phase, parallel mode (for each pickup) out of phase and parallel mode in phase. The parallel mode out of phase includes a capacitor that delays the neck pickup and reduces its bass output; this is a pretty Fendery-sounding selection. In addition, the guitar has both a treble rolloff (we commonly call that a "tone" knob) and a mids rolloff.

The reissue L6S substitutes single coil modes for the parallel modes and eliminates the capacitor. In addition, it substitutes a bass rolloff for the mids rolloff.
Quote by VeilSide
from my experience, when pickups are wired in parallel they have somewhat a single coil - y sound.
and when wired in in series they make the 'humbucker hot' sound.

probably duo to different loads on each coil in each wiring method.

Coming from ESP's user manual:
Series: combination of coils in full output (this is traditionally how most humbucking pickups are wired). Parallel: combination of coils wired to reduce output and simulate a single coil, yet still remain hum-cancelling.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson