Hi all I have been playing guitar for four months now and so far so good. Currently I am borrowing my friends starter strat and I need to give it back to him soon. I'm a huge fan of the Explorer body style (probably because I play a lot of rhythm and a huge fan of James Hetfield).

I have narrowed my choices to the Dean and the LTD. Both have great reviews and are priced competitively. If you where to pick one which would it be?

Thanks for the help and rock on!
What is your actual budget?

(I ask because, even though I like Deans, I DONT like cheap Deans.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is your actual budget?

(I ask because, even though I like Deans, I DONT like cheap Deans.)

300 dollars is my budget.
def go used. if not ibanez rg 421.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
def go used. if not ibanez rg 421.

Thanks man. However out of the two options given which would you choose? It looks like you would suggest the ESP LTD.
In that price range, between those two, LTD.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i wouldnt. id take advice and go used in that price range ir get the ibanez
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Go used or save up more money for an Epiphone Explorer 84 or something. You're generally just not going to get a good guitar at $300
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 8, 2014,
Either save up and buy a better one later or go used. I had a cheap Dean back then and it was really uncomfortable. You can find some gems if you buy used though, so don't discard that option just yet.
Ibanez RG1570 (Tone Zone/Evo neck)
Ibanez RG920 (X2N/Evo neck)
Ibanez XPT700 (D-Activators)
Ibanez AR420
Ibanez GRG270 (heavily modded)
Dean Deceiver (EMG 81/85)
ESP LTD V-200 (Dimebucker/59)
ESP LTD H-1001
Fender Blacktop Strat (JB/Jazz)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Go used or save up more money for an Epiphone Explorer 84 or something. You're generally just not going to get a good guitar at $300

I agree with this. The EX-50 just doesn't have much to offer.
You may even find a used '84 for around $300. Even a used '58 Gothic Explorer. Those are sitting at around $300 on the used market. An eBay search will probably show a dozen of them around $250.
I like LTDs, mine is the upper end of the pre-lawsuit explorers. But anything under 300 in the number, like EX-200 just isn't worth it.
The inverted "V" headstock on the deans always bothered me. Didn't look right on the Z's.

There's also the Mustaine Zeros, you may find a used one of those in your price range, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Man, the price went up on the EX-50s, those things used to be $150 guitars! What gives?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals