I have had my Mitchell MD100SCE guitar with AT-3000 pickup for a few years now and I am trying to replace the battery in it.

There is no way to do it from what I can see except for removing all the strings to access the battery box. When I try to unscrew the battery box the chords inside are not long enough to pull it out, so that leaves removing the strings and reaching inside!

I was wondering if anyone here knew how replace the battery without doing this?

Thanks a lot!
C'mon dude, what you're describing is a "design flaw". If there was a work around, I think you'd have figured it out by now.

If the batteries are going dead quickly, it could be a bad input jack not disconnecting the battery when there's no cord in the guitar. (A bit unlikely). Or, another design flaw.

I've often considered something like this with the externally accessible battery compartments. What happens when or if the plastic hinge breaks? Parts might be impossible to find, and the battery can't be held in place without it.

Anyway, you could extend the battery wires. That would be a delicate operation. You'd need to remove the entire assembly.

But, is there a place for the extra wire to go when the battery is inserted? But most importantly, solid state circuits can easily be damaged by heat. So, if you're heavy handed with a soldering iron, or you don't have one small enough, you can destroy the preamp ICs very easily. Then you'd have nothing.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 8, 2014,
I actually had one of those fine axes. That's about it, my friend, unless you want to remove the whole pre-amp arrangement and replace it with a better model by cutting a new hole in your guitar... Likely cost more than the guitar did.
Note that this model is about as "low as you can go" for such an instrument. Mine didn't sound all that bad, but the endpin-jack pulled out the first time I tried to unplug it.... The whole thing was justs friction fit. Had to re-solder the leads.

And the battery thing... Save your pennies. The Yamaha acoustic/electric models have a better pickup/electrics system, easy external battery replacement, and sound pretty decent acoustically too.