Can any one advise me on some very simple, fun songs to start practising on?

Im playing on an acoustic guitar, I know a few cords, and can pretty much read tabs (some parts still confuse me a bit). Im learning through garage band, and I have most of the lessons down, and now I need to practise on some songs that are simple to play.

I don't really know where to begin, so I figured I would ask here for a little help. I don't mind at all what songs I learn, Im just focusing on getting a little better every day at this stage.

I mainly enjoy heavy metal, not a fan of punk all that much, just incase that is a factor what you think I might enjoy playing.

Thanks in advance for any help. Any resources or links are welcome
Any AC/DC song is a good start, Nirvana stuff, the first song i learnt was Nightrain by Guns N Roses, that's a simple one, for metal Enter Sandman's pretty easy, except the solo for a beginner but i'd go to AC/DC if i was you
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls is a good beginners song.

Metallica - Creeping Death for getting your downpicking (and some hammer on/pull offs) chops up. Its a fun and relatively simple song to learn. Its just fast so dont worry if you cant get it up to right speed in short period of time (actually it may takes a long time to get there), thats not the point here anyway. Focus on accuracy and tightness.

Actually anything from Metallica is a good place to start.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 8, 2014,
Quote by Blashark
Can any one advise me on some very simple, fun songs to start practising on?

Im playing on an acoustic guitar, I know a few cords, and can pretty much read tabs (some parts still confuse me a bit). Im learning through garage band, and I have most of the lessons down, and now I need to practise on some songs that are simple to play.

I don't really know where to begin, so I figured I would ask here for a little help. I don't mind at all what songs I learn, Im just focusing on getting a little better every day at this stage.

I mainly enjoy heavy metal, not a fan of punk all that much, just incase that is a factor what you think I might enjoy playing.

Thanks in advance for any help. Any resources or links are welcome

Iron Maiden is good beginner metal. Their song Alexander the Great ( the intro clean melody) was the first thing I ever learnt on guitar - it's very easy and slow.

Metallica has some pretty good beginner tunes as well, such as Fade to Black, intro to One, Orion, Sanitarium.

Black Sabbath riffs are probably the easiest and best place to start - Iron Man, Paranoid etc. those are great starters.
Quote by MaaZeus

I second that. That's a great starter tune!
I can't believe no one said Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water"
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by MaaZeus

Metallica - Creeping Death for getting your downpicking (and some hammer on/pull offs) chops up. Its a fun and relatively simple song to learn. Its just fast so dont worry if you cant get it up to right speed in short period of time (actually it may takes a long time to get there), thats not the point here anyway. Focus on accuracy and tightness.

Actually anything from Metallica is a good place to start.

None of these are good suggestions for a BEGINNER.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

He said he as played some acoustic guitar. For Whom The Bell Tolls is perfectly learnable for a beginner.

Maybe the Creeping Death is pushing it but personally the moment I learned reading tabs I jumped off the deep end myself with that song and Orion.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 8, 2014,
Songs -you Mean With Chords.wating Time Learning Metallica Play On E And A String .knocking On Heavins Door -g D A Minor G D C
Thanks so much guys! Thats a lot more then I thought I would get, so I have a lot to work with

Ill make a list and have a look, thanks very much
Judas priest's breaking the law is easy. Once you can do arpeggios, don't fear the reaper by boc isn't too bad. I second acdc. The main riffs are usually easy like hells bells.
Knights in White Satin by the Moody Blues

Living After Midnight by Judas Priest. if u are getting into electric guitar the whole "British Steel" album is not too hard to play
AC/DC and Pink Floyd are always good songs for a beginner. In fact, most classic rock songs are easy enough to pick up and are good fun to play.
Try and learn "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day. Also, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)". Both are nice songs that might help you excercise your fretting hand (specially the second one)
Quote by steven seagull

I actually somewhat agree. The palm muting can be too tricky at first.

How about America- Horse with No Name. Only two chords essentially, and works on strumming pattern quite well.
alphadark.com
Get a free eBook for beginners.

Concertear.com
Don't be a fool, protect your hearing for life.
Smoke on the water, rock you like a hurricane for power chord starters... Then go to some of the Metallica rythym stuff. Then maybe some crazy train (without the solo of course). Cream or similar. That is the order I did it in. Then I did a few Clapton (even though I don't really like Clapton), then I learned some SRV (mommy my fingers are bleeding)... Then a few years later I tried Eruption but realized I didn't have the finger endurance.

For beginning lead, a few simple BB king tunes and maybe the slower ballady part of Satriani stuff, as well as some scorpions ballads are fairly easy (and they really help your technique because they are subtle).

I think some people have naturally much weaker fingers than others.
You guys must be really experienced to think that these songs are beginner level, he wants simple, fun stuff, something easy, a confidence builder such as Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, or Take it Easy by the Eagles, these give plenty of practice and increase confidence and learning. Zac Brown's Colder Weather or some Neil Young such as Hey, Hey, Hey. I started playing a year ago, I'm 68 years old, I play three to four hours a day and these were easy songs to play and fun if someone wants to sing along with the You Tube videos. Another easy one, and sounds good, is Simple Man by Shinedown, three simple chords played in a simple way that say modern, and right.