Right, so I bought a faulty line 6 flextone 60 watt off ebay with the intention of repairing it, and being a complete newb in the field I knew it would be challenging. Unfortunately I've reached a bit of a stalemate.
So when I first got the amp and turned it on is produced a warm buzzing noise as per the description of the seller. I plugged my guitar in and there was no response whatsoever. Then after about 5 seconds i hear a loud pop, the buzzing noise changes and some acrid strong smelling smoke starts coming out of one side of the amp.
I took the amp head out, opened it up and found no visible damage to any components. There was some brown stuff under one of the biggest two caps, but I think that's flux from the mountain of solder they used. There was a big bunch of caps on the side of the board where the smoke came from ranging from 1uf to 4700uf, and I used an ohmmeter touched to either side of each of the caps to test them, some went to infinite resistance others didn't. The ones that didn't I marked with a red pen, however, I'm not sure how valid the measurement is with the cap plugged in.
I cleaned out the pots and jacks with some switch cleaner, and put the whole thing back together again. This time when I turned the amp on it made a regular periodic popping and unpopping sound, no response to any input. When I plugged a little speaker into the phones jack, the amp actually worked, but still sounded a little funny (maybe it was the speakers' fault).
I know the standard protocol for solid states is to chuck em in the tip once they go, and I know a dock off line 6 probably wasn't the right place to start for a beginner, but I really want to get this thing repaired, so any help is hugely appreciated.
Aren't flextone's digital?

Fix the components gone bad and find a way to restore the thing to factory settings.
Also what caps exploded -tone stack, filter... ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well I don't know what's gone bad. Also, I don't know what exploded; it makes sense that it was a cap, but there any visibly damaged caps, unless from the underside.
As for being digital, there's a little processor on the board, but I highly doubt it needs replacement.
If I was you I'd find schematics.

Also I'd test everything and check for short circuits.
Start from the power input and go from there to the audio input.
Before powering it up again find out what's wrong and correct everything.
And beware of current still stored in the caps.

Also the amp is a modeling amp so find a way to restore it to factory settings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, you will need to send it to an authorized Line 6 repair place. Line 6 will not sell any parts (PCB's, ect.) or give any schematics to anyone but an authorized repair center.

What did you pay for it? you can get fully working Flextone II and III combos for $119 from guitarcenter and most of them include the older L6 Floorboard (flextone II) or the FBV Shortboard (flextone II). So it will be cheaper to get a new, working amp if you want a Flextone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It was £40 (bout $60), no footswitches. Yeh, I'm in the UK. Getting it repaired would be pointless, I bought it to repair it myself. Line 6 don't give schemo's out except to their repair centres.
I suppose a schemo would help me see which bits of the circuit are busted if I know which outputs work and which don't (which I do).
I think what I'll do is de-solder the caps off, test them, and replace them as due, because I have a strong feeling they are responsible at least in part; the caps are G-luxon branded, which have an excellent reputation for being poor quality. I'll also thoroughly clean out the jacks with some switch cleaner, because the fact that there is no output when the guitar is plugged in, but suddenly when you plug headphones in there is, coupled with the manky crap I found on the jacks, tells me there might be an issue with the switching in them. Moreover, I magically fixed a silenced marshall mg by cleaning the jacks and pots out.
The diodes are all fine, I tested them.
Check the resistors and check for short circuits.

Also why do you "have a strong feeling" the problem's in the caps?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Because the amp makes a rhythmic popping sound when on, with or without an input cable plugged in. This indicates that the power supply may be leaking into the speakers somehow? The idea I had was that the dodgy capacitors, rather than smoothing the AC current to a nice DC current, were instead charging and then discharging in large chunks.
The other mystery is that the main speaker output doesn't work at all; it just carries on popping whether I play my guitar into it or not, whereas If I plug a speaker into the phones jack, or even the fx send, it works fine. Whether the same fault is causing both symptoms or not, I don't know.
What do you think?
In my non-professional opinion as a shade-tree electronics repair tech... the power amp section is roadkill. Recycle the components and you have yourself a nice 12" ext speaker cab for $60. Once the power amp has gone over-current and everything starts to smoke and turn into goo, repairing is not a viable option. There are lots of great repair opportunities out there to learn the ropes but this is not the one. This one will break you.

Disclaimer: JMHO YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 11, 2014,
I plugged my fender m-80 into the line 6 speaker and it's busto, the speaker sounds all rattly like a loose snare. I think the coils must have got ruined with all the popping.
If the head phone out on the amp still works, you can use it to record to a computer. The Flextone has some decent amp/cab and FX modeling.

Since the speaker is broke, do you have another speaker you could try the L6 through at all? It very well mat have been the voice coil you heard popping/smelling so I rule that out first. I'd use the cheapest speaker you have (even a non guitar speaker) and see if that is the issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 12, 2014,
When I plugged the fender head into the speaker it worked, it just sounded rattly. When I plug the original head in, it makes the popping noise, and doesn't work.