Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy indonesian fender c60 with the small defect on it's bottom (see image). How do you think might this defect is seriously affect the sound ? ( I guess sound might "leak" throught this small hole in the guitar mightn't it?) How it wil lbe possible to fix guitar ? (mb to mount accoustic pre-amp here?)

Thanks for suggestion,

James
Attachments:
?60.jpg
You know a Fender CD-60 doesn't sound all that good to begin with, don't you?

You could fix, (or rather "stabilize"), the crack by wicking several coats of crazy glue into it.

The guitar isn't worth professional repairs, and unless you have a pickup/preamp combo on hand, it isn't worth buying that stuff new to put in it.

Personally, I wouldn't put out $15.00 for the guitar. But, I have the luxury of saying that, since I have plenty of intact instruments, all of which are above that Fender's brand new price point.

So, if you can get the guitar for a fire sale and stop the crack from spreading. fine.

There is also the "action" of the guitar to consider. If it's not playable and there's not enough white saddle above the bridge to effect an adjustment, all the crazy glue in the world won't help you.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 8, 2014,
Thanks for suggestion!

Could you suggest me some cheaper fender guitares which have better sound than cd60?

Thanks,

James
Quote by James Starlight
Thanks for suggestion!

Could you suggest me some cheaper fender guitares which have better sound than cd60?

Thanks,

James

I have a CD60 and to be honest, while it's not exactly a Martin D-41 it's not actually that bad for the price. i bought mine for £99 from my local music shop and all i've done to it since is shave the action down a smidgen and add a piezo pickup via my local luthier and it sounds alright either acoustically or through my amp (Vox VT50)

yes the CD60 is a base model/entry level acoustic but as are the Squier strats but they still have decent reviews.

is the CD60 a good guitar?
- for £99 (or less) yes
- in comparison to EVERYTHING else out there in the world, of course not.

but you buy a CD60 because you can't afford to drop £3000 on a D-41 or similar.

at the end of the day it's up to you if you want it or not and how it feels to you, i may have got lucky and mine actually feels good in my hands. every guitar ever made is as individual as every human ever born, even though they have the same model number stamped into them, ultimately every single one is a little bit different and it depends on how it feels to you so ignore Captaincranky.

will the damage affect sound: probably not, but the structural integrity may well be compromised if you want to drill through it for a pick up pre-amp. Some decent clear-coat applied liberally over it and left to dry properly should sort it i reckon, but the guys at GB&C are more au fais on this than i am so would ask there too.

to back up the above, i class myself as an intermediate level guitarist, i can play a fair few John Mayer songs all the way through, including covers of songs he's done, and i own guitars ranging from £50 through to >£500 and i've played guitar for coming up to 11 years now. i love my CD60 i honestly do, but as i said, i have probably got lucky with mine.

and guitars around the price range of the CD60 = Yamaha F310 and Epiphone DR-100

other than that, i don't really know, sorry.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Aug 8, 2014,
Quote by Dempsey68
...[ ]....is the CD60 a good guitar?
- for £99 (or less) yes
- in comparison to EVERYTHING else out there in the world, of course not.
So you basically agree with me, but he should ignore me?

Quote by Dempsey68
but you buy a CD60 because you can't afford to drop £3000 on a D-41 or similar.
So, there's nothing in the middle? This is fairly useless hyperbole.

Quote by Dempsey68
will the damage affect sound: probably not, but the structural integrity may well be compromised if you want to drill through it for a pick up pre-amp. Some decent clear-coat applied liberally over it and left to dry properly should sort it i reckon, but the guys at are more au fais on this than i am so would ask there too.
If an onboard preamp is going to hide the hole, as I said before, "unless yu have one on hand free, or damn close to it, I'd let it go". This is assuming an A/E guitar is the end game. The bash in the guitar doesn't really seem to be in the most opportune spot to be hidden with a control panel anyway.

With that said over here, the Yamaha FGX-700 AE cutaway solid top, sells day to day @ $299.00. It's acoustic sister the FG-700 (same solid top, is $199.00).

So, the all laminate and broken CD-60, (IMHO) doesn't represent that great a value, when you factor in associated costs.

I can tell by the TS' syntax he's new to this hobby, so giving him a "Fender guitar kit" as a starter, may not be the best course of action.

@TS, "Indonesian made", is quite prevalent these days. Many branded guitars are coming from Sammick, Cort, and a few other OEMs. I don't know if Fender has a dedicated factory for their instruments, but I tend to doubt it.

It seems as if you're taken by the name "Fender". You shouldn't let a brand name overwhelm your decision making process. Yamaha is likely a better value it the price point you're shopping.

To be fair, it's not really fair to compare low end Fender acoustic with Fender Squire electrics. In Fender, and Ibanez as well, their acoustic lines can be an afterthought, with the priority placed on their electric models.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 8, 2014,
i agree with Captaincranky, Yamaha FG700 is the way to go. Awesome sound and playability. If you want, you should also look at Recording King. Their "dirty thirties" line are nice as well. They sound different though, rather unique. They have different types of guitar, from Parlor to OOO to a dreadnaught. They have a solid top with laminate back and sides. But laminate back and sides aren't bad to be honest. They are very inexpensive, all of this guitars have a $199.00 price tag.
Once owned a Fender CD60, not a bad little guitar.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Once owned a Fender CD60, not a bad little guitar.

Perhaps not.

But, that isn't my concern here.

The TS seems to be fixated on the Fender name.

I don't think the TS knows what he's getting himself into.

Another member suggests, "take it to that shop", (loose quote).

Good or bad, the guitar isn't worth a whole hell of a lot to begin with.

With low end guitars, the factory AE option is less money than buying aftermarket parts and installing.

OK, best case is your first guitar is a Frankenstein special, but it plays pretty good.

But repairing the crack with strip, stain, and reshooting it, is far beyond the eventual value of the instrument.

So, if you can get the guitar dirt cheap, glue up the crack with some crazy glue, and just play it, while your saving for your upgrade, it might be an OK deal. Other than that, I still recommend passing on this guitar.

Any dealer is going to try and make a profit, even on a display model, damaged, discontinued, or whatever.

I'll tell you a story, it's a far different item, (a refrigerator), but it shows the ethics of a reseller.

I went into Home Depot,shopping for a fridge, and they had several on sale, in my favorite appliance brand, GE.

I asked the lady how long the sale was, and she pointed to the sale sticker, it said Aug 6.

I went back on the 3rd of August, and all they had left was the display model. To be sure, it was marked down a bit lower than the sale price, but free delivery was off the table, and I was told it would cost $75.00 to have it delivered!

OK, so the box is marked, @ $437..00. The trouble is Home Depot was trying to get rid of the line model. As it turned out, the identical refrigerator could be ordered from the catalog for $402.00 with free delivery. I opted for that and saved $100.00, and got a brand new unit, stuffed right in my ******* free of charge.

But, after I got my new icebox, I went back to the store, and some fool went ahead and took "the deal " on the display piece. Even if you carted it home in your own pickup truck, it still cost $35.00 more than a new one. Caveat Emptor.

I'm sure the dealer would very much like to get rid of this particular CD-60. I just don't think it would be a good idea to buy it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 9, 2014,
Hi there guys,

for me there is opportunity to buy a guitar for 25 euro but I'm very carefull abut this hole in the bottom which might be extended in time. Because the shape of this area is not flat I guess it would be hard to mount here amp or something else wouldn't it?

James
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm sure the dealer would very much like to get rid of this particular CD-60. I just don't think it would be a good idea to buy it.

For 25 euro($33.50) what the heck. At that price this could be a perfectly fine beater guitar to learn on and have fun with. Maybe the op can't afford something better. Most beginners give up or never really put a whole lot of time and effort into it anyway, no sense in spending a whole lot on your first guitar. The CD60 may be a lower end guitar but it's not a piece of trash either like some really cheap guitars. I'd say go for it and get a tube of crazy glue for the crack.
Quote by James Starlight
Hi there guys,

for me there is opportunity to buy a guitar for 25 euro but I'm very carefull abut this hole in the bottom which might be extended in time. Because the shape of this area is not flat I guess it would be hard to mount here amp or something else wouldn't it?

James
OK, I explained how to fix the crack, so it wouldn't spread, in my first response.

Second, since the hole ISN'T even in the center of the body, how would you expect to mount a preamp panel to cover it?

I'm not about to continue agonizing over how you spend 25Euros.

The simple fact is, if you get 6 months out of the guitar, you've more than gotten your money's worth..

If you're going to marry this thing, and start putting pickups in it, and it's supposed to last you for the rest of your life, that's your fantasy, not mine.

Quote by rohash
For 25 euro($33.50) what the heck. I'd say go for it and get a tube of crazy glue for the crack.
Agreed. And I told him about the crazy glue fix in the first post. He's been holding out telling us the price until now.

Glue up the crack, play the guitar. Save for a better one if you decide to stick with it. Very simple. Now, you can barely take a date to a movie for 25 Euro.

If you have dreams of installing pickups systems and such in it, that's where I get off.

Buy a frakkin Snark Tuner for it, and be done with it.

Here's the context o f my first post, so nobody thinks I've done an about face. Or that anything since is new business.
Quote by Captaincranky
You could fix, (or rather "stabilize"), the crack by wicking several coats of crazy glue into it.

The guitar isn't worth professional repairs, and unless you have a pickup/preamp combo on hand, it isn't worth buying that stuff new to put in it.

Personally, I wouldn't put out $15.00 for the guitar. But, I have the luxury of saying that, since I have plenty of intact instruments, all of which are above that Fender's brand new price point.

So, if you can get the guitar for a fire sale and stop the crack from spreading. fine.

There is also the "action" of the guitar to consider. If it's not playable and there's not enough white saddle above the bridge to effect an adjustment, all the crazy glue in the world won't help you.
CC
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 9, 2014,