I ordered a guitar about 6 months ago with a floyd rose. I had never owned one before but I knew enough about them. My guitar won't stay in tune. It's definitely a floyd rose problem but I don't know how to fix it. Upon inspecting the claw screws, I noticed that they were drilled in very poorly. It's an $800 Jackson, so I wouldn't assume it would have such shitty craftsmanship. But you can see that the screws had been drilled in, and then redrilled into different spots.

That's my first problem. Cosmetically. And I was wondering how common that is. My second problem is that it won't keep tune. Say I have it in tune and dive down a little on the tremelo. It won't resume it's original position. It sticks a little flat. Then if I pull up on it, it will stick back up to normal tuning or even a little sharp.

It does this even if i rest my hand on the bridge to palm mute, it will change the tuning slightly until I fix it again. Please help. I will add pictures / video if necessary (can you even upload videos to UG? I haven't been on this site in a while)
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
That is a pretty normal thing to occur with a floyd type system and is typically just a little maintenance and setup issue.

There is this stickied link right here on UG https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

You can also read this one that I like alot. Its written about Ibanez Floyds but really applies to all of them. http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm you will want to look at item 16 for your specific concerns, but its good to read all of it.

Oh and as far as your other thing with the trem claw. You would think that if you spend that much on a guitar it would have high quality control, but really depends where it was made these days. My guess is that one probably came out of India or Indonesia, there are still alot of issues with guitars made in those regions. Just because those screws were off a little probably isn't causing your tuning issues though.
Last edited by Fastmerc at Aug 8, 2014,
Okay thanks! From reading those I believe I need to lube up my knives (?) to stop them from turning sharp. I'll see what I can do. And apparently UG doesn't resize pictures down to normal and I'm too lazy to. I don't believe the sticky covered my problem but the Ibanez forum did.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Yeah lubing the knife edges will usually go a long way to solving that issue. Chapstick or maybe some dry graphite lube is good.
Is it an actual Floyd Rose, or one of the Jackson licensed ones? If it's a Jackson licensed Floyd, save yourself a lifetime of headache and return the guitar if you still can. If it's not an Original Floyd Rose, it's not worth the hassle. It will never work right.
Quote by the_bi99man
Is it an actual Floyd Rose, or one of the Jackson licensed ones? If it's a Jackson licensed Floyd, save yourself a lifetime of headache and return the guitar if you still can. If it's not an Original Floyd Rose, it's not worth the hassle. It will never work right.

OFRs are not the only Floyds that work correctly and last.

I have no idea about the "Jackson licensed Floyd" (there is no such thing anymore as a "licensed" Floyd, by the way), but I have an OFR on a Gibson that was made on the same Korean production line as the LFR that came stock on an Agile. I have Schaller-made Floyds, Schaller-made Graphtech Floyds, Samick-made Floyds from about 1992, a couple of Gotoh Floyds and who knows what else. I have a gold Schaller sitting on the shelf waiting for the Samick's Floyd to go bad, because I'm *sure* that's a cheapie, but it's been superb for the last seven or eight years, so I've left it on there. My experience has been that if it was installed correctly in the first place, a bit of maintenance will keep those things going a very long time.
Well yeah, there are other brands who make good trems and locking bridges. I'm just talking about the Floyds specifically though. The original ones, or higher end pro models are the only good ones. The cheap versions are just crap. I don't know what they call them anymore, but particularly the floyd style Jackson trems that come stock on their entry level and lower-midrange models are just atrocious.
I've used the Korean made Floyd Rose 1000-series that come on pretty much everything these days for years. Works perfectly.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
The Jackson JT580LP LFR is actually one of the better cheap ones. I've got two. They're somewhat stiff and aren't very good at the more subtle Floyd tricks, but they hold their tune much more solidly than the other cheap units.

Besides, if this is one of the current models it'll be a Floyd Special or an FRT-1000 series.