Meaning from nothing; the truth behind "Now That's What I Call Cool Lyrics Bro"

Page 1 of 2
As many of you will have noticed, for the past week I have made a new thread every day. Now that I have finished this seven day journey, it is an appropriate time for me to explain the meaning behind these threads.

Each of threads was part of an experiment that I was conducting. In order to keep a perfect lack of bias in the experiment, I made sure that no one knew that I was conducting this study. Here were the parameters:

-One new thread each day
-Each thread would contain only song lyrics, mainly from sadcore or emo songs
-Each thread would be posted at what I assumed to be the least busy time of the Pit (between 8-10am GMT)
-I would generally avoid posting in the thread after I posted it (although there were a few that I did comment on)
-I would intentionally give no topic of discussion

So for what purpose did I do this? There were a few reasons:
1. I was interested in seeing how the commenters' perspective or opinion of me changed.
2. With no clear topic of discussion, I wanted to see what people would talk about
3. I was interested in seeing how the number of replies and views per thread changed as time went on.
4. I wanted to know if there were any posters that would comment regularly, as in, they would leave a comment in the majority of the threads.
5. Personal entertainment

I will post a link to each of the threads, for your own reference, in chronological order, and I will refer to them by number.

Thread #1: boring thoughts boring moods boring bedtimes
Thread #2: this was the prettiest lie that I told all year
Thread #3: Not another sunrise
Thread #4: have a nice life
Thread #5: I'm happy, hope you're happy too
Thread #6: Sometimes you get what you wish
Thread #7: This thread is a saddening bore

And now for the findings.

So for my first goal, to see how the perspective of me changed.

Thread #1 contained virtually no comments about me. There was one comment that was in direct response (as it was quoting me), but it wasn't about me specifically. Thread #2 contained the first comment that was about me, though a bit indirectly, as it was a comment suggesting that the thread (being devoid of topic) should be closed for Spam.

Thread #3 is where the comments start to get interesting. There were a few comments that were positive towards me directly, and a few comments that were negative towards me. This was also the thread where comparisons between me and Eastwinn, or at least our threads, got made.

Thread #4 is the biggest anomaly out of the bunch, for a few reasons (some of which will be addressed later on). However, the comments towards me stayed pretty consistent. One post directly reached out to me in a positive way, and there were a again a few more comparing me to Eastwinn, some of which in a bit of a negative light.

Thread #5 is where the hate started coming a bit stronger. Thread #6 got a bit more aggressive, and Thread #7 topped it off with one comment saying that I was now apparently on their ignore list.

Overall, there was a general trend where the replies started not addressing me at all. But as each new thread was posted, the comments started more and more to negatively address me. As a result, I feel like because of this study, my personal standing among my fellow Pit users has fallen, and I am probably going to be hated a while.

What I did find was interesting, is the last thread became a bit of self satire. Take for instance these lines I used "this thread is a saddening bore" "saying sad things that don't make just make you look like a liar" "I should be hated here by now". I was expecting some of the comments in that thread to 'parody' those lines by using them to insult me. Only one person did, though I expected more.

Now for the second purpose of this thread series: How does the topic of replies/discussion change when there is no clear topic given in the OP?

I broke this up into seven types.
The first is the number of replies that directly addressed the OP, either by continuing on the lyrics, or commenting a specific number of replies.
The second is people just talking to each other
The third is just random comments that don't relate to anything
The fourth is either quoting a poem, or a song, or posting a song, or writing a post like a poem.
The fifth is comments about how the thread is spam, whether positive (something like www.ultimate-poetry.com) or negative.
The sixth is comments directly comparing me or the thread to Eastwinn.
The seventh is comments that directly talk about me, without falling into any of the other categories.

Not included are my own comments (which would go into category number two anyway), and Joshua Garcia's comments, although they would probably go into the first category.

So, for the third reason: the change in replies and views per thread.

Thread #2 and #4 are both kind of anonmalies, and I'm not really sure why that is, but yeah. Also Thread #7 is viable to increases in both replies and views, as it's not had the same amount of time as the other threads.

Generally it's pretty consistent though. Regardless of how 'old' the trend was, the number of replies and views floated around the same range. At the end it teetered off a little, and I suspect that were I to continue this for another week, it would probably continue to decrease (until I got banned or something).

For the fourth reason, regarding who would be consistent in commenting.

Generally it was the same people, with a few standalone comments. I found that the 'complainers' were generally the same, and they tended to post in quite a few of the threads.

As for personal entertainment,

it was fun for a little, but then it got a bit dull. There's a reason why I usually don't make lots of threads, cause I just don't like it. I do want you to know though that this was out of my nature to do, and I'm not usually like that, and I'm probably not that annoying usually.

In closing,

I found it interesting, and a bit disheartening, that there was so much overwhelming negativity. No part of the OP's were offensive. There was nothing negative that I said that could possibly be reacted towards to justify the negative responses. I also took great care to post these in what I consider the slowest time of the Pit to be, so if people didn't like the threads, they simply wouldn't have to comment, and the threads would go unnoticed. I also found it interesting that most the people complaining are often not making threads of their own. Not that they need to in order to have a right to complain. But it's something that I've seen in other threads, of people complaining about this song lyric trend thing, when those people themselves do nothing to change it, except complain.

TL;DR Really, I just think we should all try to be a bit more positive.

I'd like to thank Carissa's Wierd, Have A Nice Life, Snowing, empire! empire! i was a lonely estate, and David Bowie for their lyrics.

I'd also like to give a huge thanks to Joshua Garcia for the inspirational naming of the threads.

I'd also like to apologise to those who asked me nicely to stop, and I didn't. I don't want to be nuisance, and I'm generally not, but this was for science. Apologies again, and thank you for participating in this with me!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
not sure if i should be upset that i'm featured in this or not ???
i don't know why i feel so dry
i commend your work
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Eastwinn
not sure if i should be upset that i'm featured in this or not ???

You just came up a lot as a topic. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised you didn't come up more often.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I feel like this is all just a set up for an even bigger social experiment.

it's all coming back

now that's what i call cool research bro!

but like

you purposely made obnoxious threads

and then comparisons to me featured on a pie chart

fuck you guys
i don't know why i feel so dry
So you made spam threads on purpose and made us part of some no life experiment and you wonder why they were so negative..
: )
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Eastwinn
but like

you purposely made obnoxious threads

and then comparisons to me featured on a pie chart

fuck you guys

This is actually not an experiment but an elaborate burn
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

The analytical part of me (the part that likes to play around in Excel looking at random data) is impressed.

Another part of me is disappointed that I only posted in three of the threads. It's like I completely missed a bonus quest or something.

Yet another part is sad (and yet somehow kind of proud) that that all of my posts were basically really bad jokes.
Not this guy again!

Didn't even read the OP because I know it's just some BS emo lyrics or something. What a sack of crap. Baby Joel, what an apt name. Why don't you do us all a favor, roll out of your crib and quit making useless threads!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Wormholes
So you made spam threads on purpose and made us part of some no life experiment and you wonder why they were so negative..

I don't know. If people had known that it was for a social experiment, I would've imagined they would've gotten more annoyed, and I could understand that. But just a bunch of crap threads in a row, posted during low-traffic times, I didn't really know what to expect to be honest.

Like, this is what I expected:
Would you please stop this spam shit.

The Pit is not meant to be your personal angst outlet

I didn't expect this:
Why is this whining little twat still allowed to make threads with no topic?

I guess it's just that the second one is much more a personal attack, and that's not really what I was expecting.

Quote by c3powil
Not this guy again!

Didn't even read the OP because I know it's just some BS emo lyrics or something. What a sack of crap. Baby Joel, what an apt name. Why don't you do us all a favor, roll out of your crib and quit making useless threads!

Sorry for ruining the Pit everyone
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel

I didn't expect this:

they mad lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by institutions
All part of my on-going social experiment

I've been had!
it's all coming back

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
they mad lol

Like, I'm not bothered by what was said. I've got thick skin and I've heard far worse things before. It just seemed like such an irrational response to something so trivial.

Maybe I'm just being naive or something, I don't know
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
It just seemed like such an irrational response to something so trivial.

that's what I was thinking

like I've seen some threads on here that were pretty bad and some people post some pretty dumb or messed up shit and they didn't get nearly the same reaction as this
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
this is the kind of contrived rambling that I am all about.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Baby Joel

Sorry for ruining the Pit everyone

...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by theguitarist
this is the kind of contrived rambling that I am all about.

Did you sticky this

I will say, the reply that got the biggest (internal) response from me, was in the 'have a nice life' thread, when Orson said "you are released"

I genuinely thought I was getting banned

Quote by c3powil

Now you think my guilt is some sort of joke to you?
it's all coming back

This is both pointless and great.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Baby Joel
Did you sticky this

I will say, the reply that got the biggest (internal) response from me, was in the 'have a nice life' thread, when Orson said "you are released"

I genuinely thought I was getting banned

Now you think my guilt is some sort of joke to you?

well I was meaning I release you from all the constraints and expectations and pressures you face in life, on behalf of the rest of humanity. the reason I could do that is because those things holding you back from true happiness and a really 'nice' life are all actually internal even though it may seem like it is something outside of your control. you just needed to hear someone outside of you say that you can let go in order for it to be a legitimised affirmation within yourself.

or it was a bad joke response to what sounded like a short suicide note. take whatever meaning from it that makes you content.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Nice stats but you still posted a load of threads with no discussion value so eh.

It'd be more interesting doing a bunch of threads on different inflammatory topics such as feminism, Ebola, Batman, hot girls, religion and masturbation and seeing what happened.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 8, 2014,

Give this man an Ig Nobel Prize:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize

Srs though what was the purpose of this experiment? It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that consecutively posting aimless threads void of content will garner a negative response and a hit to your reputation.

But admittedly, the comparison with Eastwinn is an interesting outcome I didn't expect.
Last edited by E7#9 at Aug 8, 2014,
I read through a few (not sure which ones) and just thought to myself "meh, I have nothing to say here and it looks like no one else does either... why are some people mad?" and then moved on. Seriously, I couldn't understand the anger over what was a trivial bullshit type thread. It's not like we have a whole front page's worth of interesting topics anyways, so it wasn't even pushing anything worth reading or responding to down to the second page.

However, I was apathetic enough about these opinions that I didn't even bother posting because I got tired of pointless internet arguments a long time ago.
Very interesting. I don't think I commented in any of the threads because they didn't interest me. The titles were the only thing Eastwinn-like though
I thought you were being an attention seeking bitch. but this makes up for it I guess. (Unless ur only posting this now to make up for it and you didn't plan it all along!?)
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Baby Joel
I'd also like to give a huge thanks to Joshua Garcia for the inspirational naming of the threads.
Ha.
I contributed to something productive on an internet forum.
Take that internet society.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Eastwinn
"eastwinn-like"

y'all

do you know who you are?

Page 1 of 2