Page 1 of 2
Inspired by the discussion between ANUS and VG in the Bölzer thread.

What albums or bands do you think are objectively good, but you just don't enjoy them?
I'm talking about those albums that you listen to repeatedly, waiting for them to grow on you, but they never do. Or that band that everyone cites as a major inspiration , but they don't do anything for you. Or the album that your musical idol says was what got him into music, but it doesn't click with you.

I think it would be enlightening if you could tell us why you aren't into (x band). Maybe one of us can even provide some insight that could change your mind.

*edited for clarity
Last edited by NABEF9 at Aug 9, 2014,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Music isn't objective.
I'm sure you know full well what I mean.
Quote by NABEF9
I'm sure you know full well what I mean.

By objectively good, do you maybe mean 'worshiped by ANUS and their loyal flock"?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
if an opinion of a band's music can be changed with words, that opinion was probably made in haste to begin with
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if an opinion of a band's music can be changed with words, that opinion was probably made in haste to begin with

Well said.

I would just like to say that Dream Theater sucks, objectively speaking.
Quote by romencer17
By objectively good, do you maybe mean 'worshiped by ANUS and their loyal flock"?
I'm talking about music that has most of the elements that normally make up the music you would enjoy (or at least appreciate), and the majority of people who like the same bands as you enjoy them, but you do not.
I think the issue with the whole "I know it's good but I don't like it" thing is that it is used to avoid stating opinions in case they contradict the accepted view of the crowd. This in particular seems to happen with anything that seems intellectual, because people are afraid of appearing stupid by not "getting" something that pseudo-intellectuals fawn over. The further consequence of this is that it allows people to dismiss unintellectual seeming things, like metal, action films and sword and sorcery stories, by creating this difference between things you like and things that are good.

Well I like things because they are good.
Hoodoo Man said everything that needed to be said.

Quote by Hoodoo Man
I think the issue with the whole "I know it's good but I don't like it" thing is that it is used to avoid stating opinions in case they contradict the accepted view of the crowd.

This is the recent trend of UG that also coincided with much less user traffic. Coincidence?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 8, 2014,
But this thread does bring something to mind. Music formulas that sound terrible on paper yet you love them, or vice versa.

Summoning: "Epic" Tolkien influenced Black Metal with Verse-Chorus structure and giant choruses fueled by very prominent drum machine use and MIDI keyboards. Gross, right? Yet Summoning slays.

Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone: Abandon the goats and tits for a "progressivey" Opeth approach to the Akercocke formula. Sounds like I'll pass. Yet it's got my attention.

Abbath wants to make a rock album because kashmir fuck yeah? Cool, looking forward to All Shall Fall.

Boy was that disappointing.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'll just pretend like I know and say more people should praise Necromass' s Abyss Calls Life
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'll just pretend like I know and say more people should praise Necromass' s Abyss Calls Life

Most consistent user 2014.
Quote by NABEF9

I think it would be enlightening if you could tell us why you aren't into (x band).

I consider music to be a form of expression, as I'm sure most people do if not every single person ever. It's entirely emotional for me at that point. It's not going to resolve anything when I explain to you that I couldn't care less about Sacramentum on most days just because they have Mozart influence, but rather I'm rarely in the mood for their music. Crafted different, and frankly it's all about the craft.

It's not to say I hate Sacramentum, but I just don't feel obliged to care for their existence like some of the more adamant members of the metal community do.
I'm not a fan of Led Zepplin, great musicians just not my thing. Same thing with Tool.
Led Zepp and Tool objectively suck.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Tool doesn't do much for me. Pressed suits and Colgate smiles in a convenient plastic package with How To instructions on letting everyone know how you like Jazz.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Tool is great. Even got a Tool wallet to show how great they are.

You're a tool

jk
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I guess I feel this way about Morbid Angel to an extent. But really it's not that I don't like Morbid Angel, it's just that I feel that I started with the bands that were influenced by them first, so coming into Altars of Madness was somewhat underwhelming. I haven't really given them a good listen in a while though so I might like them more now
Uh, Altars of Madness remains near untouchable in quality to this day. Mileage may vary for each subsequent release for any given individual but I can spin Altars anytime of any day at any given moment and enjoy it. Still one of the best.

I want to tattoo that album on my soul and/or dick.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Yeah I dunno I first tried it a few years back and I guess I was just more into the thick, cavernous sounds of bands like Incantation, so Morbid Angel just didn't click with me like those kinds of bands.

and as for the tattoo, why not both?
Give Altars another try. If you don't like it, cool. But that album deserves as many shots as you can give it. An absolute classic in my book and the only Morbid Angel album that I unabashedly worship.

The demos are perfect for me as well.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Yeah I'll probably give it another shot today. I did hear a live clip a few days ago that someone linked on a different forum and it was absolutely killer, so I've been meaning to try it again.
Tool. riffs that should last four bars last a minute. good music but its just too slow for me to get into

also I've heard a lot of people say btbam is good but they don't like them. theyre a favorite of mine
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I guess I feel this way about Morbid Angel to an extent. But really it's not that I don't like Morbid Angel, it's just that I feel that I started with the bands that were influenced by them first, so coming into Altars of Madness was somewhat underwhelming. I haven't really given them a good listen in a while though so I might like them more now

While I do love the titties off of Altars Of Madness, and know every riff and word from every song off it, I can understand this. Best parallel I have to this, although quality is substantially different, is how I listened to a ton of metal bands like Trivium and As I Lay Dying when first got into the music and felt like every Slaughter Of The Soul did was old hat(which, technically, it was) so it never struck a chord with me.

I agree with VG, go through the Maze and Chapel one more time and see if clicks.
Gave Altars another chance and my opinion of it has changed slightly for the better but I still didn't feel that click that I usually do.
I remember listening to Altars for the first time. I put it on in my car with the intention of just driving aimlessly and it was like a swift kick of testosterone to my frontal lobe. Still feel that way to this day, such a visceral and relentless album full of masculine youthful vigor.
HESSIAN HAREM
I just don't get why it doesn't click with me at all. Like I wouldn't be nagged by the thought if it weren't for the fact that I LOVE Nocturnus.
Objectively good? THESE CONCEPTS DO NOT GO TOGETHER!

Anyway, as for POPULAR bands I find unappealing, probably anything not overly melodic without diverse inspiration from other genres.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Aug 9, 2014,
Yeah I say to give Altars some more time, I'm not a big death metal fan what so ever, but it definitely is one killer release. I was very similar at first as well, I thought it was just throwaway but I listened to songs like Chapels of Ghouls every now and again, and eventually fell in love with the album. Still don't listen to it a ton, but thats more so the fact I don't listen to much death metal ever. But when I do, Altars is a staple.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Aug 9, 2014,
Altars took a while to grow on me. Even now that it has, I still really don't see the hype for it as anything more than a reasonably solid death metal album. Every other album after that (apart from a couple of tracks here and there) have sucked big time. I tried to appreciate Blessed, but it's just so neutered.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Neutered is correct. That Morris sound makes it even worse.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Guitars need more beef, bass needs to be raised in presence, and the drums need to not be asscock. I don't think I've been happy with any MA album's production, though. Altars comes close, but the guitars still feel a little too buried and unclear.
I would give my explanation as to why I think you're wrong, but I'll just leave it at this; Altars is fucking perfect.

Ia! Iak sakkakh! Iak sakkakth!
Ia shaxul!
Ia kingu - ia cthulu - ia azbul!
Ia azabuaaaaaaahhhh!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 9, 2014,
Why do you guys hate on Blessed? The album is deliciously evil and putrid. The production is certainly odd but it really doesn't bother me and the space allows Browning and Trey to really explore; which coincidentally the album meanders like a sick waterway. It still retains forward motion though, which is something most meandering bands seem to miss.

THEY SPEAK MY NAME IN TONGUES
DEMONS RACE INTO MY EYES
HESSIAN HAREM
Contradictions? Blink-182 is one of my favorite bands of all time, but I can't stand almost every other band they're typically lumped in with. I don't know what it is, and I'm sure at least part of it is the fact that I grew up with Blink, and it's probably just nostalgia at this point, but whatever. I still listen to them all the time, including their new album from just a couple years ago, which I think was phenomenal. But I don't listen to anything else that sounds anything like that, and can't stand most other bands in the genre.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Music isn't objective.

Surely you don't actually mean this? If music is entirely subjective, how can sheet music exist? How can music be discussed in any way? What would the point of this forum be?

I think you meant, interpretations of metal have essentially subjective components. In which case, so what?

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if an opinion of a band's music can be changed with words

As opposed to belches and whistles?

that opinion was probably made in haste to begin with

Or in ignorance, without full context, without some type of understanding that could only have been gained through someone informing them, etc. Regardless, an opinion made in haste is still made. The only way to discern that is through discussion.
Page 1 of 2