I can't seem to get a good metal tone out of this rig. What do you guys recommend?

which speakers? you've told us before but I forget

it wouldn't be my first choice of amp for metal tones, though. even hard rock tones really. but speakers help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah, it's the penis rig from SSO.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
A tube screamer and an EQ will get you going the right direction.
I would just get a Metal amp ..... I did the pedal thing for awhile with my 1973 Fender Twin Reverb in our metal Band and Metal it's not , ended up getting a used Peavey 6505+ off the local Craigslist problem solved ..... not necessarily recommend you get the same Peavey amp as me .... but if you want some good Metal sound then get a Metal amp
I dig your cabs. That's all I have to add
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Sell everything and get an amp that will do what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ I didn't mean to imply his speakers were bad, just that I didn't know what they were. From my experience with the amp, suitable speakers can help, at least to a certain extent, but at the same time they turn it from "not a metal amp at all, barely even hard rock" (with the stock alnico red fangs" to "can handle hard rock, and not too heavy metal, at a pinch with some help from pedals", rather than turn it into a metal amp. IMO. And the way I play and dial it in etc. etc.

So yeah it's not really a suitable amp but at the same time if he gets back to us and tells us what gear he's using with it there are definitely things which can be done to help which aren't as drastic as buying a whole new amp, and which might be "good enough", especially if he likes the amp and mainly uses it for lighter stuff.

Quote by diabolical
I don't think that amp is very good...

It's a nice amp, it's just not really aimed at metal. It's more or less (I think) a more modern, more versatile take on a vox ac30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 9, 2014,
The Emperor cabs are legit. My understanding is that they are most similar in design to Orange cabs. One has Eminence Legend V12's and the other has Eminence Governors. These are good speakers for metal.

Dave- Cleans on this amp are the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Such an awesome head for cleans and light gain. I'd love to try it out with a semi-open back or alinco speaker.

I found a "RAT" pedal on Craigslist. I will apply it and see if I can get more rock out of this rig.

If that fails, I will consider the head-based options.
ah ok yeah those speakers should be fine for heavier stuff, yeah. maybe a little middy with that specific amp (maybe set it to bright or deep setting on the amp, if you haven't already, to help with that), but other than that, yeah, they're metal-capable speakers for sure. So that's not your problem.

Yeah trying a heavier distortion pedal is probably the thing. That's what I normally do. I have mine set up to edge of breakup/kinda crunchy if I dig in, and then kick in a mid gain distortion pedal over the top when I need more. And an overdrive to boost that pedal when I need even more.

Rat should work well, yeah.

And yeah I mean if you have room there's no law that says you can't use the black pearl for lower gain tones and get something higher gain for heavier tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out some pedals and made a quick vid during lunch. This is at pretty low volume. My first time owning a RAT. It's a kind of cool pedal, has tons of 'tude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaIHFfdzxo&feature=youtu.be

The Black Pearl *really* excels at cleans. I had it dialed in all dark and doomy for these pedals and my crappy riffs.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Aug 22, 2014,
Nice That sounds really good.

I think my favourite pedal (that I've tried) with my black pearl is the joyo hot plexi I'm not trying to sound br00tal, though, and also I'm using the alnico red fangs which are pretty dark (and the hot plexi is really bright, to a fault really).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?