Page 1 of 2
Getting real close to spending money.

Is there a significant advantage to getting a brand new VIP2 when there are some Vypyr 30s for sale on Craigslist for half the price? I played a VIP2 in the GC but I wasn't able to play a Vypyr 30 yet.

The Vox was a solid second-place. Does anyone want to champion the Vox - explain why the Vox might be more worthy than the Vypyr? Between the two of them I am leaning toward Vypyr but I did spend more time with it as well.

Anything I need to know about the Vypyrs? Compatibility/neccesity of Sanpera pedal? Quality control? Firmware updates? Annoying problems? Recommended upgrades (speaker?)

Extraneous information about other things i tried:
-Fender Mustang interface annoyed me.
-Line 6 Spyder felt flimsy and sounded bad. Did not like.
-Super Champ was my favorite going in but my feelings soured considerably when I realized no headphone plug.
-Not shopping tube amps right now.
Looking for reassurance? The vip2 doubles as a bass amp so there's that. I like the VT but if you liked the vyper the best just get it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Budget? Style of playing?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
Budget? Style of playing?

I think i'm past that stage but my practice slate consists of
Blackbird (Beatles acoustic)
Funky Monks (RHCP)
Smells Like Teen Spirit
It Aint Over Till It's Over (Lenny Kravitz)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
Various metallica and Foo Fighters
Pretenders
Inxs
Beatles

And max of 200. Trying to do 100.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Aug 9, 2014,
Oh and i guess i didn't explain the vox question very well either.

My thoughts go like this:
I am very much a noob. I can't dial in a good tone on my own.
So the tones i was dialing in were basically random.

Given that i don't know if it's my fault that the Vypyr sounded better - i'm willing to entertain the possibility that i was luckier when i made my vypyr tones than i was when i made vox tones.
I just played a Vypyr the other day for the first time. I wasn't impressed. I have the Vox VT80+, and while it doesn't have nearly as many options as the Peavey, it was much easier to dial in a better rock tone. The Vox was also beefier sounding.

I think the Peavey had a 12in speaker, but I didn't check. Just played away on a friends Vypyr. I'd like to see of the tube model sounds better.

I'd buy a Vox, but whatever works for you.
Quote by bish0p3473
The Vox was also beefier sounding.

Can confirm Vox for beefiness. My Vypyr 75 can dial in any tone I want (though defs not to a hair like the rackmount options can) but it really lacks any sort of lower-end sound, may be the open back design but maybe I'm just crazy. My Vox however can deliver very good clean and rock tones with bass for days, but all the metal modeling options are as bad as Line 6's.
i just say a vht special 6 sell on ebay for like $130 shipped. keep your eyes open for stuff like that.

vypyrs are great for high gain. not bad for clean stuff either. but if i wasnt into metal id look elsewhere. the vts arent too bad. but it also takes away the fun of buying and trying pedals ive noticed. maybe just grab a peavey rage on the cheap and save up for a starters tune amp for later. depends if you care about having pedals or if you would want the effects on the amp. out of the modelers for style you play id def go vox vt. id actually look for a used epihpone valve junior or the vox ac4. im pretty sure they can be had for cheap. kustom also makes a $100 tube head. for $200 i think you can get the cab and the head. would be sweet for a beginner.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Used-Epiphone-VALVE-JUNIOR-HEAD-AND-CAB-110404909-i3883389.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Used-Vox-AC4TV-4W-1X10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110397966-i3878019.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Used-Vox-AC4TV-4W-1X10-White-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110402694-i3881281.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-KUSTOM-DEFENDER-5W-GUITAR-HEAD-109509048-i3397830.gc

oh and right at your max
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-VHT-SPECIAL-A-212C-8amp-16OHM-109499687-i3384500.gc

would just need a cheap cab with the kustom defener 5 watt.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Aug 9, 2014,
i haven't tried the vypyr but i think the vox has the rep of being better for the lower gain tones. you seem to be mainly playing lower gain stuff there (not exclusively, but mainly).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by paul.housley.7
I think i'm past that stage but my practice slate consists of
Blackbird (Beatles acoustic)
Funky Monks (RHCP)
Smells Like Teen Spirit
It Aint Over Till It's Over (Lenny Kravitz)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
Various metallica and Foo Fighters
Pretenders
Inxs
Beatles

And max of 200. Trying to do 100.

You are NEVER past that stage. EVER.

For those styles of music, I would get the Vox.

I have owned the Valvetronix and currently own a Vypyr 30.
The Vypyr is better for hard rock and metal, the Vox is better for blues, classic rock, sort rock stuff.
I already have a tube amp head that i designed and assembled myself. It's not 100% functional but I think that it will eventually satisfy my tube needs. I'm going to re-design that and modify it to make it good for pedals and give it good sound quality.

What I'm after right now is a solid state practice amp. I will be using headphones. I have EMG active pickups. I am a little bit confused by the operation of the vox. I know that probably sounds odd - considering that the Peavey has a zillion LEDs and functions but the Peavey just seemed to be intuitive to me. The Vox is confusing me with the weird acronyms that I can't interpret and a power level knob that - i'm not really sure what it does.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Aug 9, 2014,
The power level knob (The one on the back on the one I had) adjust the wattage.

You can get the manuals for each on their respective web pages.
Read up.
Look into a line 6 pod. If it's just headphones or if you have a decent PC. There is guitar rig or amplitube. Works well for that.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Pod seems to cost about the same as the amps i'm looking at, but doesn't have the option of playing through a speaker.

I tried the pc option - amplitube - but it's finicky as far as working together with my soundcard and more importantly - i find myself stopping to check tabs (or something similar) on the web and before i know it i'm surfing reddit.

I hope i don't seem argumentative. I have a tendency to slip into that role. I think i'm doing it again.
Is there some compelling reason to get a pod instead? I find it hard to believe that it would sound better. I'm not all that well informed about what it can do. Perhaps i'm ignorant of some key advantage?

Perhaps the wattage knob on the vox doesn't have any effect if there are headphones plugged in? I didn't explore a lot but it didn't seem to do anything for me.

I do wonder if i'm being nudged away from the Vypyr in general. I invited comparisons to the Vox so that it fully expected and appreciated, but with the suggestion of a Pod and a bunch of tube amps it seems that the discussion is edging into an "almost anything would be better" direction.
Thsts just my preference. I at least like to have a hybrid. Something with at least a couple tubes. Just figured you'd want the highest quality you could get.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Well yeah if you don't play metal it probably isn't for you. But in think it's safe to say the tube vypyrs will be much better than any vox vt. But like I said, don't get the vypyr if you want sparkling cleans.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I did finally find information about the headphone issue.

Appears that the headphones do bypass the power attenuator in the vox. That explains that.
The support for Vox is worth hearing. I'm grinding through reviews and manuals as fast as can be.
The advantage that the pod has, or any mfx, is you can use it with other things. And if there's a pa where you're going you have the option to travel light. Also, if you sing, an mfx and powered speaker is a ridiculously versatile rig

The VT can be kinda tricky to dial in too. I remember when I got my first vt30 I was disappointed after a couple weeks and put an ad up to sell it. But then for some reason I plugged in to give it one last try and for some reason it clicked and sounded beautiful. I started screwing around with it more and found sweetspots all over the thing. Someone sent me an offer but I sent an apology and took the ad down. I've gone through probably a dozen amps since( including 2 other vts) and I still have my trusty ol' vt30 when I want it.

The vip is a pretty cool lil amp though, I had fun screwing around on one with guitar and bass for a lil while.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 10, 2014,
The forum method worked. Hurrah!

I went back and tried the vt40 again after the reccomendations received here and a pretty thorough read-through of the manual. I tried a few things that had escaped me. I liked it a lot better this time.
Small problem though - the vt40 isn't 200 like i remembered - it's 250.
That's way too far above the 100 bucks i was aiming for. 200 was a stretch already.

But the good news is i took a look at the used inventory in the store and there are some other compelling options at 150$

1. AD50vt - i understand that this is two models before the "plus" line.
2. Another Vypyr - but this time it's the tube 60.
3. But since i'm a headphone player i'm leaning toward trying to acquire one of the many vt15s that i've seen listed on Craigslist. Should be able to swing one of those for cheap.
I will backup a Pod if all your doing is headphone playing. The sound quality is better an there are more options. Unless you want the speaker, get a Pod. If you do want a speaker, I'd get something with a 12' speaker, the sound quality is much better. The VT series is great for what you want, the Tube Vypyr is probably a bit better, but the VT is better than the standard Vypyrs.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd jump on that $150 tube vyper if I were you. I've never tried one but if 311 says its a good amp, it probably is.
Did find a pod for 75$...

The tube vypyr didn't get a play today so i don't know why guitar center is selling it at that price. Seems very low to me. Worth looking at i suppose. Further research into the ad50vt makes me think it isn't what i'm after. Also seems that the supply of vt15s has dried up but there is one vt30 at 120 bucks if i'm willing to make a long drive.

Just had a problem with another deal that didn't get made. I need to sell one thing before i buy the other.
tube vypyrs are cheap in general.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Oh heck.
I think i turned up the missing info about the tube vypyr. I checked the website and the price is different, but there's another used peavey at 150 in the same store. I bet i just looked at the wrong pricetag.

So i'm back to a vt30 at 120$ and a pocket pod at 75$.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Oh heck.
I think i turned up the missing info about the tube vypyr. I checked the website and the price is different, but there's another used peavey at 150 in the same store. I bet i just looked at the wrong pricetag.

So i'm back to a vt30 at 120$ and a pocket pod at 75$.

I paid $75 and $80 for a vt30 on two seperate occasions, but I don't think $120 is a ripoff if its mint and everything checks out. I especially like the vt30 (I had the 100 too), it pulls off some really nice midgain tone. Its been awhile but I think my favorite amp model is the ac30tb or the tweed 2x12 if I'm using pedals.
I know the pod is probably going to be a better choice but i hate the way they look - cheap red plastic - and the hardware on the spider really turned me off. I'm expecting to find more sloppy feeling buttons and knobs if i get the pod.

But i don't like the price on the vt30 too much either. They're claiming it's mint condition barely used but they live an hours' drive from my house so it would be a hell of a tough purchase to back out of if i find that it's not in top condition.

Well a lot can change in a few weeks, so maybe i'll just chill out.
I just sold a vox vt15 not too long ago. It was an awesome practice amp. The more time you spend with it the more time you will like it. I played a lot of the same types of stuff you do. I really liked the ac30 for dirty and tweed for cleans. For the price you can get a used one I'd say there is no way you can go wrong
You could look for a POD XT, they are newer and more heavy duty. That and the X3s can probably be found in your budget. They also aren't lame red plastic.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You could look for a POD XT, they are newer and more heavy duty. That and the X3s can probably be found in your budget. They also aren't lame red plastic.

but what if he doesnt like the buttons or the color?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
but what if he doesnt like the buttons or the color?

Then he won't buy it.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Then he won't buy it.

Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

Oh stop it. A Daisy Rock guitar might be the nicest playing guitar in the store but most of us wouldn't even pick it up.

And I'm kind of hedonistic. I'm the kind of person who won't buy a stereo that has buttons to control the volume. That's not to say that my taste is better than anyone else's, but I do not like the way Line6 products look or feel.

One exception - the Amplifi. That one actually looks pretty cool.
But come on dude. If you could get better tone, wouldn't that override the lame looks?
Quote by dementiacaptain
But come on dude. If you could get better tone, wouldn't that override the lame looks?

Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
So I'll put another vote in for the Vypyr 60 tube hybrid thing.

Metal is where it excels but I don't think the low - mid gain tones are bad. Not for $250 anyway. Cleans are pretty good too.

here...
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play986098

(not the best playing but this is first run standard Q and a Schecter C1 with DD pups)

PS: headphone jack and face melting high gain all in one
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 12, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So I'll put another vote in for the Vypyr 60 tube hybrid thing.

Metal is where it excels but I don't think the low - mid gain tones are bad. Not for $250 anyway. Cleans are pretty good too.

here...
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play986098

(not the best playing but this is first run standard Q and a Schecter C1 with DD pups)

PS: headphone jack and face melting high gain all in one

Totally agree. Great amp. Mine was stolen from a friends house . I'd def get again if given the chance. Best budget option hands down.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
wow dude.

i can't believe it was stolen. You got S#'s and pics? Put out a notice. Maybe people will take watch. CL and allofcraigs and local pawn shops dude.

anyway - if you have time, listen to my Vypyr 'Deluxe' clip up there and tell me there is no good low, mid gain and picking dynamics....

Cath....?
Page 1 of 2