I've been looking into more versatile fuzz options over my current Big Muff Pi to cover more artist ground. I was thinking on the big muff pi deluxe, but saw a swollen pickle used for $70. I've been side by siding them, and I love the tweak-ability. At first I wanted something with just a mids control over it, but it's the use of it in conjunction with the crunch, clip, and voice knobs that makes this fuzz a versatile game changer.

The big difference between the two (once I tweaked the SP to sound like the BMP) is that the BMP is a lot brighter. It's not necessarily bad, but the single tone knob just isn't enough for me. I feel that the Swollen Pickle better allows different guitar, pickup, and amp setups to adapt to different tones that a regular big muff pi would struggle with. For an example, single coil pickups can sound like humbucker driven fuzz tones by increasing the crunch and scoop knob. Also, the volume of the swollen pickle really depends on the combo of the scoop and clip knob. For an example, I got a good Sabbath tone by having clip and voice near noonish, crunch at 0 and scoop at 9:00, but needed the volume near 3:00 or more. My big muff pi, on the other hand, was only at 1:00 for level, 10:00 for tone. However, the gain was the same for both pedals.

The only downside is that the manual I found online isn't too helpful (it doesn't give the particular direction to turn the smaller trim pots) and that it does take a lot of tweaking. Once I work with it a bit more, I'm pretty confident I'll be selling the big muff pi and keeping the swollen pickle.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 9, 2014,
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HPD! Swollen Pickle's rule!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???