Hi,

I have a pedal chain which is as follows :

TC Polytuner
Dunlop Crybaby
Maxon ST9 Pro Plus
EHX Little Big Muff
Boss GE7
TC Flashback x4

All in a chain connected to an Orange TH30. There is quite a lot of hiss, and I have tried different leads and each pedal individually to try and find a cause to the hiss, but haven't found anything.
I'm considering getting a noise pedal and narrowed it down to :

Boss NS2
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
ISP Decimator

Any reccommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B Jones
Last edited by Blew1 at Aug 9, 2014,
Does your amp have an FX loop?

Sounds like the hiss is coming from the amp, in which case putting a noise gate in your chain won't do anything to relieve it. You have to put it in the loop.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a decimator II, it's awesome. Cuts all noise-buzz from pedals and gain, feedback from gain-and hardly affects tone.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I have a decimator II, it's awesome. Cuts all noise-buzz from pedals and gain, feedback from gain-and hardly affects tone.

+1 I also own the decimator.

I owned the smart gate also. It was a waste of money. Just killed my tone and hardly reduced the hissing.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I have the standard ISP decimator, No tone suck at all, gets rid off all buzz and hiss and doesnt cut off long sustained notes (Sometimes It can if you have a really tight setting on it)
I also have the ISP G-String Noise Decimator II. It's really the counterpart to the Boss NS-2, since both allow you to run through the front and through the effects loop simultaneously. When it comes to noise suppressors, the two are usually pit against each other. If you're considering an ISP and you have noise coming from both sides of the signal chain, you'd have to go with the Decimator II.
The answer is Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+

I too had tons of buzz (I run 11 pedals, no fx loop) and was about to buy a noise gate but then I got the Pedal Power 2 plus and suddenly the noise is gone... of course you are still going to get noise if you turn everything on at once with the gain cranked all the way to 11 but having a good power supply is the first step in having a silent pedal board.

Also, are you using humbuckers or single coils?
Quote by Blew1
All in a chain connected to an Orange TH30. There is quite a lot of hiss, and I have tried different leads and each pedal individually to try and find a cause to the hiss, but haven't found anything.
What's the best cable you tried, what p/ups are you using, and is your guitar grounded?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the response guys!
The pickups I use are stock Gibson Humbuckers on my Explorer and Les Paul.
I use Planet Waves cables, I recently bought a new cable for the pedal chain but it didn't make a difference, so I don't think its a cable problem.
My amp (Orange TH30) does have an effects loop, but to be honest, I'm not sure which pedals will work best in the loop as opposed to the front. I understand an fx loop works best for time or modulation fx such as delay etc, whereas distortion and fuzz etc aren't reccommended?
this is how to run your pedals:
Guitar
TC Polytuner
Dunlop Crybaby
Maxon ST9 Pro Plus
EHX Little Big Muff
Amp Input

FX Send
Boss GE7
TC Flashback x4
FX Return

If you go for the Decimator G or the NS2 you want to run it like this:
Guitar
TC Polytuner
Dunlop Crybaby
Maxon ST9 Pro Plus
EHX Little Big Muff
Suppressor IN
Supressor Send
Amp Input

FX Send
Suppressor Return
Supressor Out

Boss GE7
TC Flashback x4
FX Return

if you go for the regular decimator then just run it after the dirt and before the amp

Hope that helps
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Aug 13, 2014,
I've got the Noise Gate. I find it great at the price point for cutting out noise when I'm not playing. Although I've found that in some environments (seems to be very loud, small venues) that the clamp doesn't work at all.

Only just discovered there's an internal switch that should be changed when not using the fx loop. I'm not using the fx loop, so will see if it makes a difference. But it seems to work ok most of the time as-is.