This is my first electric guitar, though I've played bass guitar for 7 years now.

I went into a music store on Thursday to check out basses and I saw this on the shelf and had to play it. I played this one first, and it felt and sounded great. I decided to put it down and pick up a few more strats (an MIM standard, a Squier Classic Vibe, and an American Standard). This Deluxe Roadhouse felt and sounded the best unplugged. I plugged it in and played it for another 30 minutes, during the time I realized it also had a bypassable preamp with six different settings. The more I played it, the more I loved it, and I bought it without hesitation.

It came with the best padded gig bag I have ever seen, two allen wrenches (for truss rod and bridge saddles), manuals, and stickers. I was told the stock strings were Fender 10's, but I wanted to tune it into Perfect 4th tuning (EADGCF) so the shop gave me two D'addario lighter gauged B an E strings (so I can tune them up a semitone).

Later that night, I restrung it and set it up according to Fender specs, and have been loving it even more since.

My only slight complaint is that the guitar does need to be shielded, or possibly there's a loose wire in there - I haven't checked yet, but when I have two pickups on and I'm plugged in, there is a hum that stops when I touch the strings, and sometimes a "pop" that is heard when I take them off of the strings. I should add that the hum and"pop" are very quiet, and I've had several basses that were far worse in stock condition, but still worth mentioning. I also plan on adding straplocks at some point.

To bypass the preamp, press in the button in the volume knob. Press it again to engage the preamp, which takes one 9vdc battery. The preamp has six different settings, from "wiry" to "thick" as shown on the sticker that was on the pickguard. These are adjusted by the middle knob. There is one passive tone knob on the right, and it acts as a single tone knob for both pickups, adjusting both equally.

I did record some samples, so you can here the difference between the settings. All recordings are done with Neck & Middle Pickups selected, Tone fully open, playing with a .46mm nylon pick over the middle pickup.

1 - Preamp bypassed
2 - Preamp switch at 5 (Lowest / "wiry" setting)
3 - Preamp switch at 6
4 - Preamp switch at 7
5 - Preamp switch at 8
6 - Preamp switch at 9
7 - Preamp switch at 10 (Highest / "thick" setting)

https://soundcloud.com/matthew_jh/strat-sound-samples-july92014-neck-middle-tone-full

Thanks,
Last edited by MatthewJH at Aug 9, 2014,
Nice, just the kind of thing I would buy. I didn't know that Fender were doing a switchable preamp. It is the great feature of Blade guitars (I once owned one), and I assumed that the reason it wasn't used by other makers was because they had it locked up tight in a patent. Does the passive tone control work in conjunction with the preamp? Ie you set the preamp, then adjust the treble bleed with the passive tone control? - As in Blades.
Yes, the passive tone control works on any setting - preamp engaged or bypassed.

If anyone has any requests they want for soundclips, please let me know and I'll see what I can do (please keep in mind I'm a newb, so keep it simple).

For now I mostly playing with the preamp bypassed, but if I ever get on-stage with this thing, it will be great to make changes without running to the amp.

Also, I recorded this clip by going directly from the Strat into my Tascam US-122L Digital Interface on my laptop.
Last edited by MatthewJH at Aug 9, 2014,
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like it was carved out of butterscotch or toffee. Delicious!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by gregs1020
check the intonation.

looks great though.

Yeah, I had the intonation set, but then I had to loosen the truss rod a tad and haven't checked it since. I think I have to raise the action a bit on the lower two, maybe three, strings as well. So I'll check the intonation again afterwards. Thanks - and good ears!
Quote by MatthewJH
Yeah, I had the intonation set, but then I had to loosen the truss rod a tad and haven't checked it since. I think I have to raise the action a bit on the lower two, maybe three, strings as well. So I'll check the intonation again afterwards. Thanks - and good ears!

I don't think it was his ears, the saddle positions look dodgy. I didn't spot it though until gregs mentioned it.
Sweet pick up man. I'm sure she's nice.....

Why the he'll did you block out the serial #. None of my business. Doesn't really matter. Just weird.
Sweet, I love that scratch plate
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Deckboards are a bit tatty.
And is it autumn there, WTH?

Nice axe btw! HNGD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Tony Done
I don't think it was his ears, the saddle positions look dodgy. I didn't spot it though until gregs mentioned it.

Yeah, the C saddle (or standard B) saddle, does look a little off... I haven't re-checked it yet though, but I should tonight or tomorrow.
Quote by Smigzy
Sweet pick up man. I'm sure she's nice.....

Why the he'll did you block out the serial #. None of my business. Doesn't really matter. Just weird.

Whenever I get new gear, I take a photo of the serial number in case the gear is ever stolen, I'll have an earlier photo with the serial number... And just in case, I don't like publishing the serial number on the web.
Quote by The Judist
Deckboards are a bit tatty.
And is it autumn there, WTH?

Nice axe btw! HNGD!

LOL, yeah, we bought this house about a year ago, and I don't have the extra money or time to redo the deck yet... It's a little hard when you keep buying new gear.

And yeah, that plant to the left the guitar seems to die early... I'd like to change it, but again...
Classy Strat, and excellent choice of strap. Looks great. HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Smigzy

Why not? I mean I'm not saying it will definitely prevent fraud, but you might as well protect yourself as much as you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good call gregs1020 and Tony Done on the intonation/B string saddle - it was a bit flat at the fretted octave. Now it's bang on and all of the saddles are perfectly inline as they should be.
Last edited by MatthewJH at Aug 12, 2014,
Quote by MatthewJH
Good call gregs1020 and Tony Done on the intonation/B string saddle - it was a bit flat at the fretted octave. Now it's bang on and all of the saddles are perfectly inline as they should be.

this is about how i'd expect a strat with 9's or 10's to be set up. so long as it doesn't have a compensated nut.

i mean every guitar varies but when you see all the saddles in a straight line things are probably on the whompass. (whompass = not intonated)

again, nice strat!
Quote by gregs1020

this is about how i'd expect a strat with 9's or 10's to be set up. so long as it doesn't have a compensated nut.

i mean every guitar varies but when you see all the saddles in a straight line things are probably on the whompass. (whompass = not intonated)

again, nice strat!

Really? Mine doesn't like like that at all. Mine looks something like this:

.  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  -
.  .  .  .  -  .
.  .  -  -  .  .
.  -  .  .  .  .
-  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .

Though the saddles are lot closer than that, and almost look inline until you look closer.

I'll check again - maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I'll make sure the open string is perfectly in tune, and then play the fretted octave note and ensure it is perfectly in tune as well. If the octave is not in tune, I adjust the saddle, retune, and check again.

I know some people compare the octave harmonic at the 12th fret, to the fretted octave as well, but in my experience, it's a waste of time - if it's in tune at the open string, it should be in tune at the harmonic, where the harmonic rings out on the scale will vary slightly depending on intonation.

Thoughts?
Last edited by MatthewJH at Aug 13, 2014,
Nice guitar love my maple necked strat sure yours will serve you well. Always check intonation with the fretted note. That is how you play when you fret it you change the length slightly and it will make a difference. Nothing as good as playing a properly tuned intonated guitar.