When i play my G string open, it buzzes. It sounds like it's coming from around the bridge area, but everything looks to be on the up and up. this only started happening after i put these new strings on. I usually use the lime-green ernie ball package, and these are ernie ball "skinny top fat bottom." What gives?
Quote by RyanMW2010
When i play my G string open, it buzzes. It sounds like it's coming from around the bridge area, but everything looks to be on the up and up. this only started happening after i put these new strings on. I usually use the lime-green ernie ball package, and these are ernie ball "skinny top fat bottom." What gives?

New strings. Different tension. Neck bends a different way.
If you've got your guitar set up for one set of strings, continue using them. If you change string gauges, you've got to be prepared to adjust your setup.
If you have a Tune-o-Matic bridge, check the intonation screws. If they come loose, then they vibrate and make a buzzing noise. I had that same problem when I started playing, and I didn't know what was wrong, so I took it to a tech, who told me it was the screws. So now, I just have to screw the screws back in whenever I hear that buzzing. Once I do that, the problem goes away.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
It's an american standard strat, my bad, i should have mentioned that. are we talking truss rod adjustment here?
If it only buzzes on the open string, that usually points to your nut being cut too low. Don't go cranking away on your truss rod until you know what the problem is. Make sure both screws of your saddle are firmly touching the bridge plate. How close is the string to the first fret? If you can't slide a thin pick under the string at the first fret without lifting the string, probably the nut slot is cut too low. You can build it up by putting a drop of super glue in the slot. Just make sure to file or sand the slot for the correct string height and so the string can pass through without sticking...

Check your relief.... simultaneously fret the string in the first and last fret (a capo helps) at about the 8th fret there should be just enough space to slide a piece of paper between the string and fret. If the string is laying in the string, you'll want to loosen your truss rod to give it more relief (turn counter=clockwise) 1/4 turn, wait a couple minutes, recheck and repeat as necessary. Your truss rod is for setting relief (curvature of the neck). That's it! It IS NOT a magic button that you can just dial in your desired action, like so many people on these forums seem to think.

If everything checks out ok, sometimes it's a bad string. I run a luthier shop, and every now and then I run across that.

Also could be a high or low fret, though unlikely if it only affects the G string. If you have a straight-edge that spans 3 frets at a time, slide it up and see if it bumps in the first fret. Also see if you can get any rocking motion on other frets.