Hello. I wanted to share a recording of an original song I did last month. I dont really know too much technical stuff as I've just started messing around with recording software. For this particular song I only had 2 days to attempt to write, record, and mix it as I heard about a song competition and its deadline to sumbit was in 2 days so im sure its a little rough and rushed.

Wondering if I could get some feedback on how the mix turned out. I would really like to improve and get more knowledge on recording and mixing/mastering. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6PmAKIjzic
Last edited by andyhargrave111 at Aug 10, 2014,
andy,
Thank you for the review! Now your tune: I assume you used some sort of EZDrummer or Superior Drummer (I own both). Sometimes the guitar riffs sound quite pleasant (like the very start), and other times the timing seems to get off kilter. Not sure if you constructed the drum patterns yourself, or used toontrack's large drum pattern "library" (most of the drum patterns there sound quite good, but I don't like all of them, despite how good the real drummer playing them is). Sometimes the drums sounded good, other times the drum patterns/drum fills sounded off to me timing wise. Maybe it was the way the drums intermingled with the guitar playing (timing wise). I like the guitar tones, and the I think the general audio quality is good. Most of the lead guitar sounds quite good. I suggest using less complex drum patterns/guitar riffs until you get better with your timing, before you tackle "fancier/more tricky" rhythms. But perhaps you find basic 4/4 timing boring.
Hey Aaron. Thanks for the feedback!

Yea I used EZDrummer. I unfortunately dont have enough mics to record drums right now. I just dragged and dropped beats. I literally had 2 days to write the song so I think the drums got rushed. I couldnt really fine tune anything like I wanted.

Yea I can see how the drums sound offtime in parts but I double checked with the click track and it was on. I think you're right about some of the things not sounding together with too many odd rhythms going on though. I'm a huge fan of weird, off time stuff but maybe I got carried away lol.

Thanks for listening to the song man! I really appreciate the feedback and advice. It helps alot!
Agree. Cool song ideas, just need to tighten the groove. Odd time signatures are interesting as long as you never ever lose that undercurrent pulse and feel.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
That's really good for a first song man. The recording and mixing sound great. I do agree that maybe the drums just need to be accented better to help with the groove, but overall it's really good. The solo's are very Govanesque, and the rhythm reminds me of lighter Opeth songs.
Thanks guys. I'll try to improve on my drum placement for future songs. CF_mono Govan is one of my favorites!
better than the first song i ever did

i kind of agree with the guy that said it was a little govan-y. I also hate the drum track lol, but i hate most obviously simulated DTs so don't take that personally. I thought the rhythm playing could have and should have been a little smoother and more refined, especially when the lead starts playing--i dig that you wanted to use odd beats and rhythms and syncopation, but the lead often didn't mesh as well with the rhythm as it could've. It's good to use funky patterns for rhythm, but when you introduce the lead, you really gotta back off and just stay in the pocket so that the two can work together to really be cohesive.

But, like previously said, very good work for your first song. Now get crackin on the follow ups
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Thank you for the feedback Ace! Helps alot. I'll try to record some more soon and share it. I'll definitely take my time with future songs and refine the rhythms. I think I do get carried away sometimes with odd timing stuff and forget about the basic groove.
Sounds pretty cool. Agree with the comments regarding the drums, they're interesting ideas, but maybe a little distracting from what I really like, which is the that guitar work.

Are you using a Space or Big Sky on that reverb? Sounds really nice. I need one of those pedals for sure. Also, I like the mellowness of the gutiar sound, but I feel like raising the Highs on it might help make it a little more defined. Nothing drastic, I like the idea of the mix, just maybe a slight bit more separation with the guitars in the mix to make them "pop" more.

Very good work overall.
Hey Saugeyekillah. Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you liked it. As far as the Reverb it was just the default reverb in logic. Mightve been a space designer plugin. I just messed around until I got a sound I liked.

I'll definitely keep that in mind for the guitar mixing. When you say separating, do you mean mixing the 2 rhythm tracks differently from themselves or just from everything else in the mix so they stand out?
Quote by andyhargrave111
Hey Saugeyekillah. Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you liked it. As far as the Reverb it was just the default reverb in logic. Mightve been a space designer plugin. I just messed around until I got a sound I liked.

I'll definitely keep that in mind for the guitar mixing. When you say separating, do you mean mixing the 2 rhythm tracks differently from themselves or just from everything else in the mix so they stand out?

I alwAys end up high boosTing my guitar slightly in the eq, no matter hot perfect it sOunds coMing out of the amp.

Also messing with things like duplicating the track x panning one 100% left and the other right, and using slightly different reverb filter settings between the two tracks could do some cool stuff.
I thought if you duplicated a guitar track it just sounds/becomes centered? I'm not sure. I'll definitely try that though. Thanks dude.
Not at all, two tracks panned 100% each way sOunds way different, I know it sOunds like it would be the same bY no. .. and you can keep one in the Middle too or not, just mess with it. ..
^Don't listen to him. Copying tracks and panning them opposite won't help a thing.

Now, duplicating one, and drastically altering the other, will, i.e. putting a VERY wet reverb signal in the left and a dry in the right will amplify how far right a track sounds... and I think that's what he means but it wasn't written very well haha. Also, slightly detuning one of the tracks by like 1% wont amplify or stereo the track will, but you will get a chorus-y phazery-sound.
Last edited by CF_Mono at Aug 15, 2014,
Well listen, I'm no professional engineer that's for sure. But I've got ears, and have recorded several things. Maybe it's different on different programs. But I can tell you this: on Acid Music, (which I use) if I have one track centered at 2db, it sounds different than if I have two identical tracks panned 100% on each side at 1 db with no other adjustments.

I'm not sure why that is, and I'm not necessarily saying that it's better, but without a doubt it sounds different to me. Significantly different.

edit: I just did an experiment to make sure I wasn't "misremembering" or losing my mind, and it is definitely different. It could be subtle in some instances. But I just did it with a drum track.

1 track centered at 4db was fine. It's a vanilla sounding track. Very clean.

2 tracks panned 100% at 2db the bass drum sounded punchier and slightly louder. It was a little more full bodied and "unpredictable" sounding like a tube amp vs a solid state amp.
Last edited by saugeyekillah at Aug 15, 2014,
Im confused now lol. I was told that if you record one guitar track for example, then copy paste it and try to pan one hard left and the other hard right, it just turns into centered guitars? But double tracking (with 2 different takes) gives it that wide feel or even quad tracking for a very full sound. Im not sure, I'm really new to this.

cf_mono I like that idea of the 1% detune for the chorus effect. I'll have to try that sometime.