Hi guys, hope you can help me out.

I have been playing for only about 10mths now and I'm slowly getting better, very slowly I have a vox night train cab (112) and a BK Star HT5RH but I'm just not that happy with it. Cleans are ok, but the distortion for home use is crazy. Clean I can get the volume about 3/5, however on dist I can barley get it to 1!

Now I'm pretty new to the gear side as you can prob tell so really need your expert help. Should I get a metal pedal (boss mt2) and run through clean channel or bite the bullet and get a different amp head.

I like to play rock, metal and budget is up to £600, was looking at Vox NightTrain G2, Tiny Terror but just don't know what's best, suggestion plsss.

Thanks in advance
I don't quite understand you. As far as I know Blackstar distortion sounds more or less the same at any volume, until speaker distortion kicks in I guess which will never happen at home. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Are you unhappy with how the distortion sounds?
Sorry probably didn't explain very well, the sound I don't mind to much, although I don't think it's great. it's how loud the dist channel is vs the clean, its almost unusable for home s I can barley get it to 1, it's either off or really loud lol
It sounds like youre worrying about the numbers too much instead of just using your ears to level the volumes. In my experience, distortion channels are louder than clean channels at the same channel volume because the gain channel is driven to clip. It sort of makes sense that your clean is at 3 and lead only at 1
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

You can use an eq pedal with a level slider to tame the dirt channel volume, if that's your problem. Way cheaper than buying a new amp.

But if you're looking for an amp your better choice is any of the <1W micro amps out there. Orange micro terror, Randall diavlo rd1 or something like that
Thanks for the advice guys, I know dist is alway louder but it's not even a gradual increase in volume, it's either no sound or ear blasting from zero to 1.

I do have another amp upstairs which is a BStar ID260tvp, which is more powerful but the increase in volume is gradual (dist on that amp is3/4), just seems weird to me lol
Yeah, you have to turn the knob really carefully. It's the same on my HT-5 combo, and many other amps tbh.
By the way if you're going to use a distortion pedal on the clean channel, it may end up sounding a little weak because the clean channel doesn't have a strong bass. I would say, stick with it or get another amp.
Cool thanks for you help Bart123, do like the look of the new Vox Night Train G2 plus I have the matching cab already. what do u reckon to it?
No idea, maybe you're mistaking me for an amp guru but I've actually stuck to my HT-5 for many years now
I feel your reason to get a new amp is mediocre. Other amps that you will buy will have the same issue as the HT. Now if you just want a new amp and are trying to justify it then whatever, but I can't imagine that a 15watt Night Train will be any quieter than a 5 watt Blackstar. The volume pot might be more sensitive but I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe try putting it in a place where you can play it louder? Or just use your ID with some headphones.
If you're this concerned about volume, you need a new hobby.

Or sell your amps and buy a pod.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
As I said evmac I'm very new to the tech side of this hence the reason for request of help rather than sarcastic response.
Check out the Suhr Corso amp head. Professional recording tube amp head. $999.. not sure what that is in euros but probably pretty close to your budget. Put the right cabinet with it and it would have no problem for club gigging.

http://www.suhr.com/corso-5-watt-recording-amplifier.html
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
You need to try amps at the volume you'll be playing at (difficult since shop volume will sound different from home volume), and sort of ignore the wattage and just go by how good they sound at super-low volumes (or if they can even get there at all, if the amp has a hair-trigger volume knob).

And as they said, if even an HT1 is too loud, you also might have to consider non-tube solutions like a pod...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't feel my response was sarcastic at all. It's my opinion. If you want to spend money on another tube amp you will probably be disappointed because they are generally quite loud and. I would find ways to accommodate the volume level instead of spending $999 on a new head.
I'm somewhat in the same situation and was hoping for some help too. I've got a Blackstar HT-1 and was completely oblivious to the fact that it's a hybrid. Its clean channel when slightly driven, volume maxed and gain at noon, sounds great. However, the drive channel has too much gain for my liking and I wish it had just a tiny bit more clean headroom. All problems that come with buying a small wattage amp, but my living situation doesn't really allow me to do much else. Looking at the Vox Lil Night Train, I was wondering if I could get that bedroom friendly driven grit the HT-1 gives while getting a more classic drive tone and more clean head room?

Everyone keeps raving about the Jet City amps, but its 20 watts would definitely be too much for a bedroom right?
Quote by j.cleary
Everyone keeps raving about the Jet City amps, but its 20 watts would definitely be too much for a bedroom right?

Amps make noise. It's what they do. Even 1 watt amps can be ridiculously loud in a bedroom. It's the whole point of amplification. Use a light touch and you can adjust the volume knob within safe parameters without annoying neighbors or family. The only other option would be a device that isn't measured in watts. Like a Pod and some headphones, and that just isn't fun.

Focus on getting the best amp for you within your budget and ignore the watts. Someday, those extra watts that you think are overkill will come in handy.

I hope that someday we can move past the "X amount of watts is or isn't good for bedroom playing." It's a silly number to worry about and when you focus on it too much, you may not end up with the right amp for you and your style.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Good point about it being useful someday; definitely won't be stuck in an apartment with roommates forever. Then it would seem the Jet City line is by far the best amp within my budget. I'll have to keep an eye out for them in that case. It's funny how you just never hear of some of these brands until you hear about em here. Then when you read into them, you start to realize how freakin good they all sound and wish you weren't so blind the first time around buying stuff, haha.
^ LOL it happened to me too. on the one hand i've spent way more money than before i found the internet, but on the other hand at least I'm sort of half (I think ) buying sensibly and not buying crap.

EDIT: speaking of the jet city... I've only tried the 50 watter but I think someone on another forum who'd had both said that the 50 was actually easier to control at low volumes than the 20 watter. So that might be worth bearing in mind. The price difference between the 20 and 50 watt 2-channel heads is very little.

Quote by evmac
I don't feel my response was sarcastic at all. It's my opinion. If you want to spend money on another tube amp you will probably be disappointed because they are generally quite loud and. I would find ways to accommodate the volume level instead of spending $999 on a new head.

I thought your post hit the nail on the head. I don't think it was sarcastic at all.

As you said, there might be amps which sound better at lower volumes, but there's no guarantee, and it probably won't be related to wattage either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 11, 2014,
Amplifiers amplify so if you don't want it loud, turn it off. Pod, Vox Tonelab, iRig, Axe, Zoom all offer better solutions for the apartment dweller that doesn't have the option of turning it up to wail. You can output these to a simple stereo or headphones and get really good guitar tone at whisper volumes. Ponder this concept a while.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Amplifiers amplify so if you don't want it loud, turn it off. Pod, Vox Tonelab, iRig, Axe, Zoom all offer better solutions for the apartment dweller that doesn't have the option of turning it up to wail. You can output these to a simple stereo or headphones and get really good guitar tone at whisper volumes. Ponder this concept a while.

If you can't find a way to play loud, this is the best option. I own a POD HD300 and its awesome. For practicing and recording at home it really does a nice job.