does anyone have a black and white outlook about playing music/guitar ?

Page 1 of 2
I think to myself either I will make a living out of playing music or I wouldn't play guitar at all if I fail at that. Not a middle ground for me.
Okay?

you're obviously not enjoying it then
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 10, 2014,
Is that's how you view music please don't ever play then there's already too many people who play just to make money.
That's a really narrow-minded view, and it's pretty unfortunate that you view a hobby like that.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Music should be segregated by race.

Blacks should stick to jazz and blues while whites should stick to classical

I play music because it enriches my life and makes me happy, i don't expect to ever make much money from it but i will still never stop playing
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by E7#9

They're ruining our children.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Well you're probably not gonna make a living as a guitarist so you may aswell give up now.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

If you just play to make money, you're obviously gonna suck, you have to like music to play. If you're doing it for some kind of ego-thing, you're not gonna do anything. Also, there are millions of guitarists out there looking for a gig, if you lack the passion, you're CERTAINLY not gonna rise above the rest and make ANY kind of a living off of it.
Quote by E7#9

what about brown and yellow people

and what about mixed race people
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Used to look at it like that, but now I do it for fun.

Maybe someday I play in a band, but I'm not even sure if I ever want to go gigging, I'd rather stay underground.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Good idea, you should quit. If your motivation is money, you must be severely unreasonable to pursue a career by playing guitar.
My Outlook just has the standard colour scheme. Didn't know you could change that.

But no, I try not to think like that about anything. Plus playing guitar is just something I do, it doesn't really matter where or why, as long as I can do it the way I want to. If I make money, awesome. If I don't make money, still awesome.
Gawd, please.
You play for fun, period. But at the same time being in a band that you dont belive can make it is stupid allthesame.
Just have a back up plan, its like a lottery, you can win, but your chances are so small that it is madness to go all in.
Not playing guitar for the sake of itself = Not the right hobby for you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
My "black and white" view on playing is fairly different from the one you just gave. For me it's not a matter of whether I can make money off it or give it up. It's a question of whether or not I enjoy playing at all. If I didn't enjoy it, i would give it up. Thankfully that's not the case. I play because my abilities on the instrument make me feel better about myself. They are one of the only things in my life that I have complete control over and the act of playing has enriched my life more than I could've ever thought and has also enriched the my wife's life as well as my daughter's. Now, if the opportunity rose to where I could make money off it I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but that's nowhere why I play.

If that's the question that you're asking I think you may need to re-evaluate why you started playing to begin with.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
That's the worst way to view music, or any form of art, in general. You do it because you enjoy it, not because you want to make money.

As VelcroMan stated, there's millions of guitarists out there with a true passion for playing who aren't earning a penny for what they can do. What hope do you have if you don't care for the hobby as just a hobby?

Here's some advice, should you want it; find a hobby you will enjoy regardless of being paid, find somewhere you can volunteer relating to that hobby and MAYBE you'll get a job out of it.
Take it from me, I volunteer in technical theatre because I like doing that and I'm currently in the chance of being taken on as an apprentice due to my enthusiasm (and learned skill, of course).
If that's your view, you're playing guitar for all the wrong reasons; so what, you picked up a guitar because you wanted to be some kind of recognised rock star? Yeah, I initially did too, I found a love for rock and metal music and wanted to be the one on the stage sending an audience crazy, but as a few years of playing passed I found a love for music itself, and not so much the idea of being idolized. You should be proud of what you create whether it makes you money or not - some of the greatest artists in any given artistic medium weren't even recognised until they were old or dead. Music at it's core is a means of expression that transcends traditional language, if your goal is to just make a living off of it, then you've got the wrong viewpoint and I will argue that point as a fact to the point some may consider me a musical nazi, if you haven't got the passion for it then don't bother. There's also other ways to make money if that's really your goal though, you could teach, be a roadie, hell you could even just work the reception at a label if you just want to be in a music oriented environment, but it doesn't really sound like it's your jam to be honest.
My goal in life is to become a chef, so by your logic i shouldnt make any food unless im getting paid for it.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
that's actually a fallacious viewpoint because in your seemingly eternal quest to make a living out of music you will actually be "just playing guitar" the whole time
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
So, where's your cutoff point, TS? At what stage can you decide that playing guitar isn't a viable career choice?
I play guitar and have a gigging band (and a couple more musical projects) just for $#!ts and giggles.

Playing guitar is fun, and playing live is even more fun, even when we don't make money off of it.
If I ever end up without a band, I'll just keep playing guitar at home for my own enjoyment.

Nowadays it's extremely difficult to make a living out of the music business in my country anyway, so I'm finishing my lawyer internship and I'll keep working as a lawyer.
Playing guitar and gigging in my free time is a great way to blow off steam after my dayjob.

Maybe you picked up the guitar for the wrong reasons, TS.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I sorta agree with the TS..

but I'm persistent when it comes to my dreams
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
i like playing guitar, if you see it as a chore then you're not getting all you can out of it bro
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Vanhalaf
Good idea, you should quit. If your motivation is money, you must be severely unreasonable to pursue a career by playing guitar.

Yes, he does not possess the superior intellectual intellect of the fedora empire.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, go sell your guitars then, TS. See ya.

good idea cray cray samuel then ts can get a macbook and make dubstep
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface

He won't make money doing that either. He'd just end up selling his macbook.
No, not really. I just enjoy playing. I don't expect to ever make a living from it. However, if I could make a massive amount of money playing music, I would. I wouldn't care what kind of music. I would play music that I hate every night if it meant that I would make a large amount of money.
Quote by E7#9

Weed nowadays isn't the same as it was back then. These new strains of weed are making the black men want our white women.

I actually know people who think this
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by zackk
However, if I could make a massive amount of money playing music, I would. I wouldn't care what kind of music. I would play music that I hate every night if it meant that I would make a large amount of money.

And then you would hate what you do and be very unhappy. Etc. etc. etc.

Music shouldn't be treated like a job. Yes, you can (potentially) make money playing music. But you shouldn't play music that you don't like. Music is about fun. If you're not having fun playing a certain type of music, the crowd will notice. And then, chances are, you will be hired to play gigs less often -- which means less money.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
He won't make money doing that either. He'd just end up selling his macbook.

it's not about the money, it's about the music man
banned
Quote by Catlodo

You play for fun, period. But at the same time being in a band that you dont belive can make it is stupid allthesame.

Why is this exactly?

I've been and stayed in bands that I thought/knew wouldn't 'make it' just based on my own thoughts that the style of music wasn't popular enough to give even a slight chance of 'making it'.
Wouldn't just enjoying playing in that band, having fun with it and hanging around with friends drinking beers, jamming and playing some gigs be a lot more fulfilling and 'fun' than quitting because it won't make you rich (presumably to shortly after joining some blonde bimbo selling bland, soulless music via her looks to play music you hate for easy money)?
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I'm going to second every else's opinion and say... stop playing. Now. Music is something that many many people do and very very few people ever make a dime on, and with an obvious lack of passion you're never going to make it into the second group.

Most of the people on this forum have put thousands of dollars and thousands of hours into music and have gotten nothing in return except the enjoyment of doing it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And then you would hate what you do and be very unhappy. Etc. etc. etc.

Music shouldn't be treated like a job. Yes, you can (potentially) make money playing music. But you shouldn't play music that you don't like. Music is about fun. If you're not having fun playing a certain type of music, the crowd will notice. And then, chances are, you will be hired to play gigs less often -- which means less money.

I play because I enjoy it. I feel like I would enjoy playing horrible music more than I would enjoy doing a lot of other things as a means to make money. With that being said, I do not envision this happening.
Quote by deadsmileyface
it's not about the money, it's about the music man

That's sort of the point, isn't it?

Quote by zackk
I play because I enjoy it. I feel like I would enjoy playing horrible music more than I would enjoy doing a lot of other things as a means to make money. With that being said, I do not envision this happening.

Then...what's the issue?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 11, 2014,
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't make a living playing music I hate. I don't even feel motivated to play guitar unless I like what I'm playing.

Quote by deadsmileyface

Now this is a more modern fantasy. Guitar based music isn't as mainstream as it used to be.
Page 1 of 2