Hello, I'm very very new at forums and everything, but I need some help and maybe someone can help me with this. So I own two Les Paul looking guitars, one is a Epiphone les paul special 2 and and Ibanez art100. The Ibanez has some fret ware and the epiphone is fine. I have a friend, whos brother wants to sell his epiphone les paul 100 for $75. I was originally looking to get a Ibanez S670qm or a S570dxqm. Even though I really love Les Pauls but I wanted to get into different guitar(one with a whammy bar) because with a les paul your so limited, I know cause I own two of them, and with the two Ibanez's that I was looking at you can do a lot more. And I wanted to play more stuff by Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Rothery etc. But not just play other peoples songs, also to write songs because I'm in a band and we have about 5-6 shows a year. I really want to get the Ibanez S series guitar because then I can really expand my style of playing. I have been playing Les Paul guitars for 7 years and I think its time for a change because it gets boring playing only Les Pauls. But then there is the Les Paul that my friends brother has, that he wants to sell for $75 and I think it is a good deal. I am also starting to get into the recording side of music too.

What do you think I should? Tanks for reading!
No. You really don't need yet another cheap LP-alike.

You're not limited on Les Paul shapes with trems, either, even if you're on a budget. I have an Agile AL-2000 Floyd (http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000floyd.html ). Normal price is $299 (no case).

This is a very traditional-looking guitar from the front, but look a bit more closely.

It's actually a 24-fret guitar, with the 24th fret where the 22nd fret would normally be on a standard LP. That alone gives you better upper fret access. The Agile ALs have a stubby cutaway "horn" compared to an Epiphone. With my XL size hands, that means that I don't have to rotate my hand to avoid hitting the inside of the cutaway horn, the way I do with a gibson/epiphone.

Look closely at the back where the neck meets the body (easier to see on a white one). It's got a "tilted" neck-body join. I have a real Gibson Axcess Custom, with the sculpted neck heel. This tilted neck-body join, surprisingly, works pretty much as well as the Axcess! It's extremely comfortable for upper fret work and eliminates that whole "fill your palm with pointy wood" aspect of playing a standard LP-shape guitar.

The Floyd on my guitar (identical to this but purchased five years ago) is some aftermarket thing, and I assumed it would be a piece of feldercarb. As it turns out, it's excellent, and while I have a gold Schaller in the bubble pack sitting on the shelf waiting for this one to screw up on me, this has yet to do so (and this has been one of my"bar guitars" for a while now).

I can guarantee that you can NOT do anything more with the Ibanez's than you can do with this guitar, but there is one major difference (besides the body shape). This is a heavy (10 lbs) guitar, and I'll pretty much guarantee that you'll have more natural guitar sustain (as opposed to artificially induced gain compression, etc.) with this guitar than with the much lighter Ibanez. I've got a number of 24-fret superstrats (most of them Carvins), and I appreciate the shape and the lighter weight. But they really don't do "LP".

This guitar comes with jumbo frets and a 14" radius fretboard, and it's definitely not a baseball-bat neck. That alone is different from most LPs. On the other hand some ibanez' can be a bit TOO thin for some folks, so you definitely want to get some time with an Ibby before you buy.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 10, 2014,
If you're bore with 'only playing Les Pauls', then buying a shit one(however cheap) isn't going to help; and with the best will in the world, the Epi LP 100 is not a great guitar(a mate had one for a while, and smashed it up because that "felt and sounded better").
I've never played the Ibanez, but I can't imagine the Lp100 is a great step up from that.

Personally, I'd keep the money for something else.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by dspellman
....[ ]....I can guarantee that you can NOT do anything more with the Ibanez's than you can do with this guitar, but there is one major difference (besides the body shape). This is a heavy (10 lbs) guitar, and I'll pretty much guarantee that you'll have more natural guitar sustain (as opposed to artificially induced gain compression, etc.) with this guitar than with the much lighter Ibanez. I've got a number of 24-fret superstrats (most of them Carvins), and I appreciate the shape and the lighter weight. But they really don't do "LP".

This guitar comes with jumbo frets and a 14" radius fretboard, and it's definitely not a baseball-bat neck. That alone is different from most LPs. On the other hand some ibanez' can be a bit TOO thin for some folks, so you definitely want to get some time with an Ibby before you buy.
FWIW, I have an Ibanez ART-100. I bought it because it was a second, but also because it is left handed.

IMHO, Ibanez goofed up when they decided to relocate the volume and tone controls too close to the bridge. Every time I play this damned guitar, the volume and usually the tone, are turned down halfway before the 1st song is over.

OK, I'm a strummer, and am likely better off with any of my acoustics Still, I almost never take this axe of of the case because of this problem.

I'm considering trying simple rubber "caps", (shaft covers, if you will,), to replace the knobs. Hopefully, my arm or sleeve wouldn't have enough leverage to permit the controls to move while I'm playing.

I also don't think the fret work on this guitar is as good as it can be.

As always, the TS' "results may vary".

But I think I'd like to try one of the Agile Les Pauls. When I see one with the wide neck and left handed in a color I like, I think I will. Especially since you say the AL-2000 series is decent enough to take out and play. Without the whammy bar, they're only about $230.00.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 10, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky

But I think I'd like to try one of the Agile Les Pauls. When I see one with the wide neck and left handed in a color I like, I think I will. Especially since you say the AL-2000 series is decent enough to take out and play. Without the whammy bar, they're only about $230.00.

I have three Agiles -- that AL-2000 (it was a B stock), an AL-3100 (used) and a custom-built neck-through. The latter was sort of the prototype for the AL-3200 (shaved neck heel ala the Gibson Axcess, tummy cut), and it's been heavily reworked (controls moved, sustainer added, Chandler tone-X added, yada yada). The first two are my bar guitars, and all three have Floyds. I usually define bar guitars as those that can be replaced easily enough, that have great playing characteristics, and that have sufficient mass to be defensive weapons if called upon <G>. "Bar gigs" include anything where liquor is served, where the venue has a low (or no) stage and where errant bodies and/or alcoholic beverages or various and sundry body fluids can reach the front of the stage. This will include weddings (no matter how fancy). For those events, a Line 6 FBV Shortboard is the only piece on the floor out front. Everything else -- Pod, wireless, power amp, speakers -- stays in the backline. The Shortboard connects to the Pod via a cheap ethernet cable and that's the ONLY cable running from back to front.

I'd check with Kurt regarding lefties. He DOES have them, and you can order them in the "custom order" section (mo' money), but they don't necessarily hit the website (he also has guitars on eBay). Give him a call or shoot him an email and see what he's got. I think that what ends up on the website does so in whatever order it's come off the container(s), and I imagine that lefties come and go quickly. B stocks have lasted as long as several minutes on that site. You definitely have to have your hand resting on the "MINE!" trigger when you see one you like.
If you want a good LP-clone with a tremolo, here's one (though it does have actives :shrug:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/monterey/70-monterey-deluxe-tremolo.html

If you want something non-LP-ish, what are you thinking about?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I was thinking more in terms of features & specs!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
oh sorry, for features and specs I was looking for a 24 fret guitar, with either HSH or HH (with the pickups split coil function) but mainly HSH, whammy bar(something that will actually stay in tune if I want to do huge dive bombs or anything like that), locking nuts. not really looking for anything les paul shaped because I have of them and don't really want another for a next guitar.