I have been playing with electric guitar for about 4 months. I noticed that my sound is not very good. I mean I can hear a buzz, when I play with One Step Down tuned guitar.

I was thinking about buying better guitar, now I'm playing with Washburn RX-10, I bought it for about 200 dollars, but in my country I think it cost more than it was worth.

What I want to ask, is how much it can be guitar's problem to these strange noises? Or maybe it's all my fault?
Quote by dudeperfect13
I have been playing with electric guitar for about 4 months. I noticed that my sound is not very good. I mean I can hear a buzz, when I play with One Step Down tuned guitar.

I was thinking about buying better guitar, now I'm playing with Washburn RX-10, I bought it for about 200 dollars, but in my country I think it cost more than it was worth.

What I want to ask, is how much it can be guitar's problem to these strange noises? Or maybe it's all my fault?

Could be your pickups, could be your hardware, could be your cables, could be your amp, or it could be a very small bee that lives in your ear and is so delighted when he hears you play guitar(particularly in a half step down) that he buzzes his little butt off.

there's really no limitation of things it could be

Best solution is to get a fog machine, Not only will the gentle FFFSSHHHHHHHHH block out most, if not all, of the strange noises you're hearing, it will also make you look super badass
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
It depends on what type of buzz you're talking about. Is it electronic buzz (meaning you hear it through the amp), or is it hardware buzz (meaning you hear it from the frets, nut, or saddle)? If it's electronic than the problem is probably a grounding issue and is a simple wiring fix. If it's a hardware buzz, then depending on where it's coming from, on what strings, and how severe it is, the problem could be much worse, and it might be worth it to get a new guitar.

So yeah, it depends on what type of buzz. It probably isn't your fault, because to be honest, as much as people freak out over it, it's kind of hard to screw up your guitar that badly
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
You might need to adjust your truss rod if you want it to stop buzzing when you're playing one step lower.

Edit- Or you might need to raise your bridge a bit.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Aug 10, 2014,
Oh it's only when you tune down? Then it's definitely hardware, and not electronic.

You said it happens when you tune down one step. Does that mean you're in Eb standard, or D standard? And on what frets (cause I'm just going to assume it's a fret buzz problem) does it happen?

Also I'm going to ask the mods to move this to the electric guitar subforum, where they'll be able to help you a bit better
it's all coming back

I tuned it to DGCFAD.

Now I checked again, it sounds like hardware buzz. But I also noticed, that it happens when I strum a little bit harder or I move my finger up a bit when played a note. But talking about 6th String, thick E I mean, then I need to press really hard to keep sound clean. Is that how it suppose to be?
What gauge strings are you using? It's possible that because you're tuning down to D standard, the low D string is a bit too floppy, causing the buzz.
it's all coming back

It's probably just because you're using a cheap guitar/amp. Not really anything you can do about it if it's not fretbuzz.
I don't know anything about strings, I just bought complete guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-CM8Pta94E

Same like this. I got amp for 100 dollars, it is Fender Frontman 10G

So, if I need a new guitar, maybe you can offer something worth to look at? I need electric one, I can spend maximum 400 dollars.
Yeah it's likely that the strings are too light a gauge. When you tune down, they can get floppy which can give fret buzz. I'd recommend using at least gauge 10, or a set of bottom heavy, top light strings. That should sort you out fine.
it's all coming back

Take it to a shop.

You're new with guitars and guitar paraphernalia meaning it will be close to impossible for us UGers to determine the exact problem. Take it to a shop or someone that knows how to set it up.

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything...
Yeah it's most likely fret buzz

You can take it to a guitar shop to have them fix it if you're not comfortable but they'll probably charge you too much
Quote by UltimateGuizar
If you delete all the system files off your computers hard drive it should stop.

Enjoy your ban.