I bought a used MIA strat a few years back. When I bought it it had a hot rail in the bridge and stock pups in the middle/neck. I put the hot rail in a different guitar and am aiming to get a true single coil vintage tone out of my bridge pup.

I bought a Tex-mex pup for the bridge and I hate it. Much too trebley and hot. can annyone suggest smarter market replacement???? I am not looking to buy an entire set. As I truly like the neck/bridge.
any sort of vintage-style strat pickup should do it.

what's your budget and location (affects prices)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender 54', 69', fat 50's, vintage noiseless would all be decent choices. TexMex pickups are garbage IMO
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by Dave_Mc
any sort of vintage-style strat pickup should do it.

what's your budget and location (affects prices)?

I don't have a budget. I live in the northeast USA.

I've always been told you get what you pay for. I am just a hobbyist player. Not a pro. So I figured for 35$ the Texmex may get the job done. No way. IT SUCKS!!!!!! I'm not gonna pay 200$ for 1 pup. But I'm looking in the 50$-100$ range
all the pickup i recommended are $200 for the whole set. and i believe $70 a piece. probably find them cheap if you do some web searching and what not.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
check out this site, good pickups and very cheap also www.guitarfetish.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Golden Age pickups from STEWMAC deliver a decent vintage tone for a reasonable price (a luthier I know uses them, and I have a set of the humbuckers in a guitar from him):
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Golden_Age_Alnico_5_Single-coil_Pickups.html

The Tesla OPUS-S1 is another nice vintage singlecoil. I have a pair of those in a HSS custom I had done (by a different luthier):
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=opus-s1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 10, 2014,
what is your idea of a "vintage" strat sound? traditionally a strat bridge pickup is very trebley . what you may want to consider is having the bridge position hooked up to a tone control to roll off some treble.
Quote by Smigzy
I don't have a budget. I live in the northeast USA.

I've always been told you get what you pay for. I am just a hobbyist player. Not a pro. So I figured for 35$ the Texmex may get the job done. No way. IT SUCKS!!!!!! I'm not gonna pay 200$ for 1 pup. But I'm looking in the 50$-100$ range

Thanks

I dunno about "get what you pay for". If you ask me, you have to judge each case on its own merits- some cheap stuff is just cheap crap whereas some cheap stuff is remarkably good value. Conversely some expensive stuff is great and some expensive stuff is someone chancing his/her arm for something which isn't worth it.

Regarding the pickups- Duncan SSL1s should do what you want and should be readily available (and reasonably-priced) in the USA.

Quote by EyeballPaul
I can vouch for fat 50's,My strat sounds nice.

If he bought it used a few years ago it might not have fat 50s. They've only been coming with fat 50s for the past few years, I think (could be wrong).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 11, 2014,
Funny how different people have different preferences. I love my tex-mex pickup set.
roll back your tone knob.

vintage-esque tone on a budget.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.