Hi, when I play chords, usually playing blues,power, and open chords, the lower strings just always dominate in volume- making the chord sound muddy and incomplete. Is this a problem with my playing technique, or my gear?- I doubt it's my gear as it occurs on both my acoustics and electrics. Finally, what technique adjustments can I apply in order to get rid of this effect?
It could be either of those things. You could be strumming in a way that starts strong and finishes weak. Your gear could be made for the bottom end to be more audible.

EDIT: What are your EQ settings?
Everything at 12 o'clock, maybe sometimes scooped mids. My acoustics are full dreadnoughts.
Quote by Harry W
Everything at 12 o'clock, maybe sometimes scooped mids. My acoustics are full dreadnoughts.

Could you give us a rundown on your gear?
Squire bullet strat, with ernie ball STHB's. Running into a fender mustang 2 modelling a vox.

My acoustic is a fender cs-l 60 (or summet like that).

Sorry for the random pluralization of acoustics, dunno what I was thinking
Last edited by Harry W at Aug 10, 2014,
Quote by Harry W
Squire bullet strat, with ernie ball STHB's. Running into a fender mustang 2 modelling a vox.

My acoustic is a fender cs-l 60 (or summet like that).

Sorry for the random pluralization of acoustics, dunno what I was thinking

I hate the sound of Fender modeling British amps. Additionally, Vox is a bit dark for my ears, it may be for you, too. Try a different model and adjust the EQ so as to boost the high end frequencies.

As for your acoustic, I have no idea.

My guess is that it's your gear, maybe someone has an idea as to how it could be a problem with your technique.
try different EQ settings. That is what it sounds like to me. if it sounds bassy, turn the bass down till is sounds good to you.
EQ with your ears not your eyes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try lowering the pickups on the bass side and raising them on the treble side. ie. high e the pickup is closer low e it is a bit further.
Quote by Harry W
Hi, when I play chords, usually playing blues,power, and open chords, the lower strings just always dominate in volume- making the chord sound muddy and incomplete. Is this a problem with my playing technique, or my gear?- I doubt it's my gear as it occurs on both my acoustics and electrics. Finally, what technique adjustments can I apply in order to get rid of this effect?

Just adjust your picking/strumming. If you put the same amount of picking energy into a thick string that you do into a thin one, the thick one will be louder. Consciously adjust that. You might also want to move your picking hand toward the bridge; things will gain treble down there.
Tried all of the above and it sounds a bit better, especially on a clean channel
Maybe also try regular 10's instead of the STHB set. The Heavy Bottom gives you larger bass strings which seems to be the sound you're trying to get away from.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Harry W
Yeah, I'm changing to regular slinky tommorow.

Wait, you were running Heavy Bottoms strings?!?

Comes down to technique.

Or cheat and get a compressor. I use a Barber Tone Press for chords and cleaner solos.
Haha for the pic, what is it that I need to change in my technique?