Hi internet!
I need some help. I've recently joined a well established rock band who perform venues of all shapes and sizes all over the country. At my first rehearsal with them last week my 13 year old Marshall valvestate VS100 finally decided not to be an amp anymore. So, i'm in need of something to power my Marshall MF400 4x12 cab. unfortunately, i'm rather poor, but i need a powerful amp that sounds good live and in the studio for under £300.
I'll be playing mostly crunchy power chord rhythms

Since i've been using the same old (cheap hybrid) amp for 13 years, just for small, local gigs I don't have a clue what to look for. I'm hoping to find a good tube amp but most of them seem to be out of my price range. My fellow guitarist in this band is running a beautiful and extremely expensive custom made Weinbrock, so the affordable amp I go for has a lot to live up to.

Any advice would be appreciated
Last edited by 8ighty6ixed at Aug 10, 2014,
Check out the Jet City amps on Thomann.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes, 50w high gain jet city it is.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
This amp will do it and sound good while doing it and it is well under your budget at 229GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah jet city
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks they might be worth a look! Never heard of jet city before.
Does anyone know anything about the orange crush series and how they measure up to the more expensive, tube driven amps? they claim to be close to a tube sound but solid state, based on their Rocker tube amps, but affordable. has anyone tried one of these? I love the tone of orange amps but have never been able to afford one

Alternatively I'd maybe go second hand to get a better amp for my money
Quote by 8ighty6ixed
Thanks they might be worth a look! Never heard of jet city before.
Does anyone know anything about the orange crush series and how they measure up to the more expensive, tube driven amps? they claim to be close to a tube sound but solid state, based on their Rocker tube amps, but affordable. has anyone tried one of these? I love the tone of orange amps but have never been able to afford one

I've got both a Crush and a Rockerverb. The two couldn't be farther apart other than the color and logo on it. Also unrelated to the topic, I wonder how your amp bought on a strict budget would sound in the mix with a botique amp playing lead.
Quote by chrismendiola
I've got both a Crush and a Rockerverb. The two couldn't be farther apart other than the color and logo on it. Also unrelated to the topic, I wonder how your amp bought on a strict budget would sound in the mix with a botique amp playing lead.

Thanks that's good to know,
and I wonder that too, thats why i think a higher end second hand amp might be the way to go
definately blackstar ht models, on ebay im sure you could pick one up for well under that, and gives you the versatility of american (mesa) and british (marshall) tones... smashes anything out the market for this price
See if you can find a used Peavey VTM or Peavey Ultra.

Otherwise, Jet City JCA50H or JCA100H.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That jet City I linked is a budget version of this amp
www.thomann.de/gb/soldano_hr_50_head_bk.htm
Is that high end enough for you? The sound is also 90% there so I really doubt you will find another head that can compete with it.

The guy who designs them both is Mike Soldano. The Peavey 5150/6506 and the Mesa Dual rectifier were variations on the SLO circuit (which the Jet City has).

If you can deal with 1 channel, you may be able to find a used Laney GH50 in your price range
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 10, 2014,
Quote by gooooog
definately blackstar ht models, on ebay im sure you could pick one up for well under that, and gives you the versatility of american (mesa) and british (marshall) tones... smashes anything out the market for this price

The HT series is mediocre at best, Jet City is a much better built and sounding amp line.

Here is a demo of the 100 watt version so you can hear it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Cugo_ais4&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 10, 2014,
+1 on the JCA50H, or JCA100H. Check out my profile if you want to hear some songs I recorded with it.

Ton's of gain on tap, and sounds sweet. I get compliments on my tone almost every time my band plays. People aren't use to hearing that Soldano tone live

It's obvious not the same quality as the real deal, but it sounds pretty damn close.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Aug 10, 2014,
Read the first few sentences, saw the budget and thought the Jet City 50h.

Do it
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by chrismendiola
Also unrelated to the topic, I wonder how your amp bought on a strict budget would sound in the mix with a botique amp playing lead.
Believe it or not, sound and price tag are unrelated.

Seriously, this seems like a polemic question.
A jet city will be good enough for the task indeed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Seriously, this seems like a polemic question.
A jet city will be good enough for the task indeed.

Cost and quality of sound are not really related.
Maybe a little bit, but not much.
Take for instance a 30 Watt Marshall MG and a Peavey Vypyr VIP 40 Watt.
Guitar Center has them both at the same price ($199)
Yet, IMO, the Vypyr is worlds ahead of the MG in terms of sound quality.
I wouldn't want an MG if you gave it to me.
Well, I might take it, then resell it.

I think a Jet City, as has been suggested, would be a great choice for you.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 10, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
Cost and quality of sound are not really related.
Yeah.
As I wrote.
Quote by Spambot_2

Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Are they? If we were discussing two similarly priced items, I might agree with you. But to say that they are unrelated without any attempt to qualify the statement would be ridiculous. A lot of people like to repeat the mantra that the musician dictates the tone, but I dare say it'd be wrong to completely disassociate quality and price. Yes, a talented guitarist can make a starter pack sound pretty good, while a beginner will make it sound like its price tag suggests. That same talented guitarist would, however, sound even better playing its high tier counterparts.

Now you could come up with a few examples where something is significantly more expensive than a competing item, and that the second item is higher quality. I know that in this argument, a lot of people do that. Take for example, Beats headphones. I hate how they sound and think that at 1/3 of the price, you can find something that sounds much better. However, the relation of these two things (sound and price) is not so black and white. It isn't like there are only two extremes- (1) sound quality has nothing to do with price, and that you could sound just as good using a cheap item as you could on something much more expensive to the effect of a £300 item vs. a botique, hand-made amplifier (this is all I could find out about Weinbrock through a quick Google search. No idea on the price) and (2) sound quality and price are definitively related in such a way that the more expensive item is always better. Sure, there are definitely examples that quality is not always accurately portrayed in the price tag, but my point is, it tends to lean in a direction that suggests that more expensive is better.

Jet City makes amps that are great values, yes, but my qualm is, the other amp on stage might outshine it greatly.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 10, 2014,
I wouldn't worry about competing with the other guitar players amp. Sure, it might not sound as good in a stand-alone setting, but in a live full band mix, I doubt a lot of people in the audience would notice, let alone care.
^ if you know how to dial an amp in for what you need it to do ( and the amp fits) you don't need expensive gear. with the budget TS has to work with, Jet City is the best amp I can think of that is under his budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try looking for a used Peavey Valveking 100 head. Their great! 100 watts of all tube power. 2 channels definitely within your budget.
Quote by chrismendiola
Are they? If we were discussing two similarly priced items, I might agree with you. But to say that they are unrelated without any attempt to qualify the statement would be ridiculous.
Alright lemme retry.

Once you pass the "seriously beginner stuff" price and when talking guitar amps, price and sound quality are unrelated.

They're guitar amps, you don't need them to sound clean (in the literal sense, not only free of clipping 'cause you raise the gain too much), you don't need them to sound accurate...
So you don't need high quality components nor a perfectly designed circuit.

Guitar amps' sounds greatly vary, and some might like something that someone else doesn't like, hence it's not like there's a real better when you passed the MG line and stuff.

So, while someone might like VH4's, I don't care much for them and I'd happily take amps for less than half the price of them, and some might well prefer a JCA100HDM over a Powerball II for example.
Also some might prefer a Blackheart BH5 over a rockerverb for clean tones.
I know I do at least.

So, yeah, unless you're talking about veeery cheap stuff, it's a matter of preference, hence sound quality (which sucks pretty bad anyway in terms of accuracy) and price become unrelated.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Here's another vote for the Jet City. I have a JCA50H that i use with my band and i couldnt be more pleased with it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Spambot_2
Guitar amps' sounds greatly vary, and some might like something that someone else doesn't like, hence it's not like there's a real better when you passed the MG line and stuff.

So, while someone might like VH4's, I don't care much for them and I'd happily take amps for less than half the price of them, and some might well prefer a JCA100HDM over a Powerball II for example.
Also some might prefer a Blackheart BH5 over a rockerverb for clean tones.
I know I do at least.

So, yeah, unless you're talking about veeery cheap stuff, it's a matter of preference, hence sound quality (which sucks pretty bad anyway in terms of accuracy) and price become unrelated.

The way you phrased "matter of preference, hence sound quality" makes it seem like the two have more to do with each other than they actually do. Yes, in some cases, maybe you might prefer an MIM vs. an MIA, but in this case, we'd be talking more about preference of tone rather than trying to objectively place a correlation between sound quality and price. I'd say tone has more to do with the characteristics of the sound whereas quality has more to do with clarity and how sound sonically can be more pleasantly heard.

It's a strange thing, really, because the way we think of tone and sound quality makes it seem like they are the same thing. For example, I prefer the tone of a Squier Strat compared to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but the LP Standard has better sound quality.
My JCA50 sounds awesome, regardless of price. I would take it over a lot of amps that are twice as expensive because it has the type of tone I enjoy. You will like this amp if you try it. It's designed for guitarist like yourself who want a great tone on the cheap.
Quote by chrismendiola
The way you phrased "matter of preference, hence sound quality" makes it seem like the two have more to do with each other than they actually do. Yes, in some cases, maybe you might prefer an MIM vs. an MIA, but in this case, we'd be talking more about preference of tone rather than trying to objectively place a correlation between sound quality and price. I'd say tone has more to do with the characteristics of the sound whereas quality has more to do with clarity and how sound sonically can be more pleasantly heard.

It's a strange thing, really, because the way we think of tone and sound quality makes it seem like they are the same thing. For example, I prefer the tone of a Squier Strat compared to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but the LP Standard has better sound quality.

Thats funny cause I prefer the sound quality of a squier strat but the Gibson Les Paul has better tone. We must now knife fight to til one of us dies. Goodluck.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by chrismendiola
I prefer the tone of a Squier Strat compared to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but the LP Standard has better sound quality.
From wikipedia, "Sound quality is typically an assessment of the accuracy, enjoyability, or intelligibility of audio output from an electronic device. Quality can be measured objectively, such as when tools are used to gauge the accuracy with which the device reproduces an original sound; or it can be measured subjectively, such as when human listeners respond to the sound or gauge its perceived similarity to another sound."

In this field, sound quality sucks pretty bad everytime.
A VH4 will be a lot clearer than a dual rec, but it'll still suck under the actual quality aspect.

A standard LP will not have a sound quality particularly higher than a squier strat.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by gooooog
definately blackstar ht models, on ebay im sure you could pick one up for well under that, and gives you the (a) versatility of american (mesa) and british (marshall) tones... (b) smashes anything out the market for this price

(a) no, far as i'm aware it's a glorified mid frequency control (if it's even as sophisticated as that, i forget exactly what but it's not "game changer" or anywhere close)

(b) don't think so. the jet cities are half the price, sound good, and are actually all-tube

Quote by chrismendiola

Jet City makes amps that are great values, yes, but my qualm is, the other amp on stage might outshine it greatly.

My jet city can hang with my engl. in fact i probably prefer it for certain tones.

Caveat: I use good speakers (eminence v12s) with it. But TS said he has a mode 4 cab, which I think is meant to be a good cab (either has v30s or g12k100s in it, i think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah the MF400 cab has Celestion K100's, the MF280 has V30's and they are bigger than the typical Marshall 1960 cab. They are the same cab size as the 1960TV cab which is about the same as a Recto oversized cab (3" taller than the normal 1960)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 11, 2014,
Quote by soulgrenade
You can look into Bugera, they have some affordable tube amps that sound great.

But you need a fire extinguisher to use em live!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Never heard of Jet City- will check them out.

I use a Laney GH100 live- it's a good 5150 type tone with plenty of gain, but it's very messy. I played a Blackstar Series One and absolutely loved the sound of that. Might be a bit out of your price range though.
Quote by matthewa

I use a Laney GH100 live- it's a good 5150 type tone with plenty of gain, but it's very messy. I played a Blackstar Series One and absolutely loved the sound of that. Might be a bit out of your price range though.

The Jet City is soposedly a budget version circuit the 5150 was based on, the Soldano SLO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by matthewa

I do like the Series One, but my problem is the price. It's a great Splawny type head, but a JCA is so good for so much less that I couldn't justify getting it unless I had a lot of money
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ yeah the MF400 cab has Celestion K100's, the MF280 has V30's and they are bigger than the typical Marshall 1960 cab. They are the same cab size as the 1960TV cab which is about the same as a Recto oversized cab (3" taller than the normal 1960)

thanks. yeah I thought I'd heard they were oversized.

Quote by matthewa

the gh is a hot-rodded jcm800, I think (don't quote me on that)

the jet city is a cheaper soldano

not a million miles away from each other but the jet city is a little more modern- and compressed-sounding, while the gh is a bit crunchier and more classic-sounding.

speakers affect it a lot too, I tend to use crunchier/more vintage style speakers with my gh to accentuate that and more modern speakers with the jet city
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks. yeah I thought I'd heard they were oversized.

the gh is a hot-rodded jcm800, I think (don't quote me on that)

the jet city is a cheaper soldano

not a million miles away from each other but the jet city is a little more modern- and compressed-sounding, while the gh is a bit crunchier and more classic-sounding.

speakers affect it a lot too, I tend to use crunchier/more vintage style speakers with my gh to accentuate that and more modern speakers with the jet city

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense that the GH is based on a more crunchy tone. I only borrow the head from the singer of my band so I don't use it outside of gigs.

I've found a sweet spot with the tone that isn't far from a 5150 sound that we had on our last recording, but with fairly high gain the note clarity dies quite a bit.

Will have a listen to some Jet City demos today. I don't want to be playing high gain stuff forever and I still see myself with a Fender or Vox combo in the future, so this could be a great affordable chance to improve my live rig for the time being.
oh yeah i mean the gh is a very much hot-rodded 800, it can get a fair bit of gain, and I don't doubt that you could dial in a pretty heavy tone on it that probably wouldn't sound a million miles from a 5150.

and yeah the jet city is hard to beat for what it costs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?