What strat copy is it (if you know)?

Off the top of my head, it looks fairly cheap with not much grain so I'm guessing nothing to get too excited about (but I could well be wrong).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've had it for years as it was my first half decent guitar back in the early nineties. It was hand made by someone called RM Matthews. It's got a nice birdseye maple neck but sadly needs a refret. Perhaps it's not worth the effort to resurrect it.
It looks like one of those anonymous tropical hardwoods to me, could be merante. Merante is widely used as a general-purpose interior hardwood, at least here in Oz, and comes in a wide range of physic properties from almost as soft and light as balsa, to something as heavy and hard as mahogany.

Merante
I'd guess alder, which is a widely used wood for strats, and often has indistinct grain, and about that color. If the builder went through the trouble to put a birdseye neck on it, not likely he would have used crap wood for the body. Definitely worth restoring.

If you've never had the frets leveled/re-crowned, likely you could get by doing that rather than a full re-fret. I run a small shop in Iowa, and I charge $80 for a level/re-crown vs. $150 and up for new frets.
Last edited by stormin1155 at Aug 10, 2014,
Thanks all. The frets are already too low and flat and there are a couple of nicks on one which need to come out. I'll see how much a refret costs this side of the Atlantic. If it's in the same region as $150 then I think it's worth it.
Quote by ianjfitch
I've had it for years as it was my first half decent guitar back in the early nineties. It was hand made by someone called RM Matthews. It's got a nice birdseye maple neck but sadly needs a refret. Perhaps it's not worth the effort to resurrect it.

Oh ok I'll retract my previous statement about what type of wood it was

If it's handmade (assuming handmade well), then it's probably a good guitar and is probably worth salvaging with a refret or whatever.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Oh ok I'll retract my previous statement about what type of wood it was

If it's handmade (assuming handmade well), then it's probably a good guitar and is probably worth salvaging with a refret or whatever.

Me too, I was assuming it was of Asian origin. As you say, if it seems well made and the neck is good, it would be well worth fixing up. - The refet would be DIY, but I would likely get one of the local automotive sprayers to do the body if I wanted it looking really good.
Well, I got the frets recrowned in the end. They're very low now but all sound ok.
I got a Wilkinson trem, replaced all the wiring and put some Warman pickups in and finished the wood with Tru-oil as I like the natural look of the wood. It's not the best looking guitar in the world but I'm pleased that I can use it again.
Attachments:
strat.jpg
Quote by ianjfitch
Well, I got the frets recrowned in the end. They're very low now but all sound ok.
I got a Wilkinson trem, replaced all the wiring and put some Warman pickups in and finished the wood with Tru-oil as I like the natural look of the wood. It's not the best looking guitar in the world but I'm pleased that I can use it again.

I'm pleased it worked out. I think a black pickguard would look good against the plain timber. and maple board.
Tortoise-shell or red pearl would be classic. A blue or black flake might pop, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^^^ Nice

and yeah a coloured scratchplate might brighten it up a bit, but even with the white it's nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhh, I've ordered a see-though acrylic pickguard and I've got some copper sheet which I was going to put underneath for sheilding. I'll then paint a picture on the underside of the guard and let the copper show through the spaces. Or that's the theory anyway.
Morning wood.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
that neck is gorgeous.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by ianjfitch
Ahhh, I've ordered a see-though acrylic pickguard and I've got some copper sheet which I was going to put underneath for sheilding. I'll then paint a picture on the underside of the guard and let the copper show through the spaces. Or that's the theory anyway.

I do'n't think you will be able to glue the copper to the acylic neatly, but it should ne OK as a separate sheet. I've made a few clear acrylic pickguards and lapsteel fingerboards and painted them from the back. If you plan on painting in more than one colour, use polyurethane, not acrylic. If you use acrylic, the colours will run into each other and end up looking like variegated birdshit.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You could also get all fancy-schmancy with a funky pickguard from a place like Greasy Groove or WDMusic.

I like the rosewood one from WDMusic. If my artwork goes wrong I may well go for that.
Quote by Tony Done
If you use acrylic, the colours will run into each other and end up looking like variegated birdshit.

To be honest I think that's how it may well end up looking even using just the one colour. I'm going for a woodcut style picture.
Quote by Carrot
that neck is gorgeous.

It is nice. You can just about see on the photo that my most frequently played chord at the time was "A".