Hi. I have just bought a mackie 350 SRM PA ACTIVE SPEAKERS. X2. I need a subwoofer as the bass is not that good. It is for house parties. Am I right in thinking I need a 200w sub with 200w speakers? I need them to be small as will be in the living room. Please someone help. Desperate!
if it is not going to be a big area, then you can get away with a smaller sub. If your going to do any thing with some size you may want something bigger.

What size is the speaker your looking at (not the wattage)? I'd say an active 1x15 sub would be OK for most (what I'd consider) house party.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wow thanks for the quick response. The Alto TRUESONIC SUB12 Active Subwoofer is 600w \300rpm.
I couldn't find anything smaller in size and weight.
Or the Jamo SUB210 200W Active 8 inch Subwoofer?
Last edited by Joannereeder at Aug 11, 2014,
I usually multiply the wattage needed for a subwoofer by three or four times what the mains speaker is putting out. When you drop an octave, you need to move four times the air (roughly) to have the same volume (SPL). This assumes a sub with the same efficiency as the upper-range speaker.

As an example, the ISP Technologies Vector SL is a subwoofer designed to work with a 100W tube head pushing a 4x12. In order to do that, it has firmware that strips out the lows from the tube head's speaker output and feeds them to the sub's 600W power amp, which then runs the 15" subwoofer in a very large ported cabinet.
So do u think the sub woofer I chose ie the 600w /300 rpm would do the trick? Alto tssub12?
Specs look like a good match for your Mackies but I have never heard an Alto sub b4 so no idea if it sounds good. I know EV, JBL, Mackie, QSC, Yamaha products much better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
An 8" sub is not big enough for any type of live music. at very minimum get at least a 12" speaker to move the air, a 15" would be even better IMO

I run live sound and I use 2x15" sub's with 2x18" subs and it is good for a decent sized bar/venue and I am running 1200 watts into the pair of 18" and 400ish watts to the pair of 15" subs. I use all JBL and EV speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks, but what u forget is these are for my living room! Just house parties! Can't have massive sub and speakers in the living room!
Quote by Joannereeder
Thanks, but what u forget is these are for my living room! Just house parties! Can't have massive sub and speakers in the living room!

No I understand, I just meant an 8" sub will not work. You need at least a 12" sub IMO so that the bass sounds and feels good.
You might get away with a 10" powered sub but even that would be pushing it IMO.

I just listed what I use to give you a reference as to what I use and the size of the area. I didn't expect you to get something like I use for house partys. Hell most house partys have no subs so your trying a bit harder than a lot I'd say
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Rob is right. You will need at least a 12" sub to run with your Mackie SRMs. They are good for about 120db so a powered sub that will deliver 120 db down to 40hz would be ideal. For reference, Robs setup will produce over 130db so effectively twice as loud to our ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ yeah my set up is friggin loud, but it is to run sound in medium/large venues.

And I just looked up the Alto sub you were looking at Joannereeder and that should work fine for your application. You can always add another if you really need to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate