Hello everyone,

I recently picked up my acoustic guitar after a number of years of not playing. The short version of my background: I never played/practiced enough to get to be as good of a player as I'd like to be.

I've recently been spending several hours a day practicing and learning new songs, etc, to get back into the swing of things. One of the songs I'd like to learn is Stairway to Heaven and from what I understand the majority (if not all) of the song is finger picked. I know the correct thumb/finger usage as it correlates to strings, etc.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I jump right into the song and just have at it or is it beneficial to give myself a few days of finger picking drills? Would anyone happen to have any good resources I could get into?

If it matters, I'm going from being primarily an electric player (from years ago =P) and I am getting really into acoustic guitar. I'm still working on the callus' and hand strength, so I still do get some muted strings,etc from time to time.

Thanks everyone!
I say jump in to the song. As a starting point for finger picking Stairway is actually one of the best if you ask me; I can barely finger pick at all and I can still play all the fingerpicked parts of it!

All the motions are nice and simple, there's no complex independent bass work going on, the fretting hand is very simple... definitely a damn fine starting point.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I say jump in to the song. As a starting point for finger picking Stairway is actually one of the best if you ask me; I can barely finger pick at all and I can still play all the fingerpicked parts of it!

All the motions are nice and simple, there's no complex independent bass work going on, the fretting hand is very simple... definitely a damn fine starting point.

Alright cool. I'll be working on it this afternoon. Thanks for the speedy response
Quote by Skizz_oV
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up my acoustic guitar after a number of years of not playing. The short version of my background: I never played/practiced enough to get to be as good of a player as I'd like to be.

I've recently been spending several hours a day practicing and learning new songs, etc, to get back into the swing of things. One of the songs I'd like to learn is Stairway to Heaven and from what I understand the majority (if not all) of the song is finger picked. I know the correct thumb/finger usage as it correlates to strings, etc.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I jump right into the song and just have at it or is it beneficial to give myself a few days of finger picking drills? Would anyone happen to have any good resources I could get into?

If it matters, I'm going from being primarily an electric player (from years ago =P) and I am getting really into acoustic guitar. I'm still working on the callus' and hand strength, so I still do get some muted strings,etc from time to time.

Thanks everyone!

That song is easy enough to jump right in. As far as exercises go, I strongly recommend you look up some basic classical guitar arpeggio exercises and work on those. I'm sure there's some on you tube.