When playing through my solid state amp my hammer ons are the same volume as a fretted note. But when I plug into my tube amp my hammer ons sound horrible! Why? Is it my technique? Is that just how it is? What can I do to improve
You're going to have to be a bit more detailed. Why does it sound horrible? Is it not loud enough, too much unwanted noise or there's buzzing?
Amp peavey valveking 112, guitar black walnut strat HSS with dragonfire invaders. Strings Ernie ball not even slinky d standard tuning. Hammer ons are OK on the clean channel but pretty much non existent on the lead channel
No compression and no affects (yet) got a metal muff on the way. And the problem is I can't hear basically anything when I hammer on. I've tried every position on the selector switch and nothing helps
If you can hear your picking fine but you can't hear your legato, you need to work on your legato technique.
Quote by Anon17
If you can hear your picking fine but you can't hear your legato, you need to work on your legato technique.
i can here my hammer ons through my mustang though
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Like someone above said, if your picked note sounds fine then it's probably your technique.
Quote by elsatanica
i can here my hammer ons through my mustang though

Solid state amps tend to be less responsive than tube amps.

If you can hear other techniques through your tube amp but can't hear legato, it is your technique.

If you can't hear your picking through your tube amp and can through your mustang (like you say happens with your legato), then you have a problem with your tube amp (or a problem with picking technique too).
Ok, just to clarify a bit here since no one is really telling you what's wrong other than "your technique":

If you can hear everything other than your hammer-ons then it's probably because either you're not doing them strong enough or you're not doing them in the right place within the fret space. You need a good firm hammer to get them to really sound and your finger should land just behind the fret wire.

The reason you can hear them on your other amp (at least in all probability) is that the distortion sound is more naturally compressed than the Valveking. Being able to hear them on the clean sound just fine doesn't make much sense though, I have to say.

Is there any way you can get a comparison video up? Show your technique and show us how it sounds on both amps and both sounds?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The descriptions here make no sense - If you can do them on a clean tone, then you should be able to hear it on a distortion setting. That being said, I suspect your problem is not properly dampening the other strings ( although that wouldn't explain the difference from the two amps...)
OK I will try different things, the other amp definitely has way more compression though, thanks for the replies
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
I raised my pickup height much better. Still could be better though. Can anyone recommend a cheap compression pedal?
Quote by elsatanica
I raised my pickup height much better. Still could be better though. Can anyone recommend a cheap compression pedal?

The solution is still very much to improve your technique. A compressor is not the best answer at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by elsatanica

I wouldn't waste money on a compression pedal unless you've pinpoint the issue. The best way is to record a clip of you playing some normal picking stuff and some hammer-on involved riffs. Also, you should probably do it with all your gear for comparison on what you think sounds right and which one you think sounds bad. Video would be a plus to point out bad techniques if there are any.

If hammer-on is the only thing that sounds bad, it's more than likely to be your technique. Some amps and pick-up are just a bit more responsive/receptive. And finger strength helps with having clearer hammer-ons which unfortunately can't be developed overnight. Try slowing down and hitting your hammer-ons hard but on target, so your finger hits the fretboard in one clean motion and it doesn't move about after. And similar to tapping as someone mentioned in another thread, more gain might help you sound marginally better in the short run but it is not the answer as that encourages bad technique.