Okay so I've really gotten into guitar since I replaced my crappy les paul copy with an Ibanez strat, and have been learning things as I go. But now have hit a wall, pull offs, pulling off to a fretted note is easy for me but open pulls always end in my hitting the string bellow..

Any advice on how to remedy my problem

P.S. I have been practicing.them for at least a month and a half at varying speeds from 20bpm quarter notes up to 50 bpm in triplets.
Muting, you're going to have to learn this if you want to play lead. Basically any note you play, every other string should be muted unless you want them to ring out on purpose. From what you've said, it seems you're muting properly when doing a pull-off onto fretted notes as your hand has to stay on the neck. So I'm gonna guess that when you pull-off onto an open string, your whole hand leaves the fret board, hence you're not muting the bottom strings.

If this is not the case, then more info will be needed to discern your problem. Though overtime, your pull-off will use less movements anyway as you get use to the mechanics.
I think you are missunderstanding, I'm talking about my finger brushing off another string as I pull off to an open, thus sounding the other string . It has nothing to do.with muting strings with my index finger as I am not fretting another note. I am looking for advice on how to prevent my finger from recoiling back so far that it sounds another string while pulling to an open string.

Muting wouldn't really come into it as it would be kinda difficult to mute say the high E.when I pull off from the B without muting my B aswell.
Quote by PhilDuggan
I think you are missunderstanding, I'm talking about my finger brushing off another string as I pull off to an open, thus sounding the other string . It has nothing to do.with muting strings with my index finger as I am not fretting another note. I am looking for advice on how to prevent my finger from recoiling back so far that it sounds another string while pulling to an open string.

Muting wouldn't really come into it as it would be kinda difficult to mute say the high E.when I pull off from the B without muting my B aswell.

Which is exactly why you mute it. So, say you're pulling off on the B string to open. There are different ways to mute. Personally, I would mute with either my fretting hand or picking hand. Although with practice, your pull-offs should require less motion eventually as you get use to the mechanics and develop some finger strength. But yeah, if you don't want other strings you ring or sound out, you mute them.

As for cleaning up your pull-offs motion, the only thing I can suggest is slowing down and pay attention to your technique and motions.
Okay triplets are going out the window so! Thanks for the help mate, em just to make sure I am actually pulling off correctly mind telling me if this is right method.

Fret the note eg 3rd fret D
The pull the string lightly downwards (like a quarter step bend)
Until the string slips from your finger
Sounding the next note whether it be open or fretted
Lift your finger up to clear the strings as the string is released from your "grip"
Quote by PhilDuggan
The pull the string lightly downwards (like a quarter step bend)
Until the string slips from your finger

While the exaggerated motion might help you get used to roughly what you should be doing, when you're actually playing you should never hear the pitch change at all. You want both notes to be exactly the note they are when fretted normally at all times.

You don't really want to pull the string so far that it slips from your finger, you want the motion to be coming away from the string in such a way that the string moves as little as possible while still getting a nice, strong, clean note from it.

Quote by PhilDuggan
Lift your finger up to clear the strings as the string is released from your "grip"

As I kind of mentioned above, the movement away from the string should basically be included in the plucking motion. You don't really want these two things to be separate steps, the motion should be one smooth motion down and away at the same time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah when you pull off youre not just lifting your fingers off the fretboard. You want to grip the string in your fingertip and pull down then release letting the string snap back to its place and thus ringing out. You are essentially using your fretting hand to pluck the string. The pull off is more of a pull-down and release in a sense :P.

That said. It's pretty standard to utilise muting to prevent the string below your pull off from ringing out. Just keep a finger from your picking hand on the string below to stop it from making any audible sounds.
Quote by PhilDuggan
So.in a sense a diagonal movement?

Basically yes but because of the way fingers work it's more like a curve than a straight line.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.