Page 1 of 2
Now when I was a young lad, "core" bands seemed to be the popular thing amongst us young'uns getting into metal and whatnot. Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, I killed the Prom Queen and so on. Now this isn't necessarily strictly a music discussion thread, hence why it's here and not in the Metal forum.

Now back when I was listening to these bands in 05/06 they at least seemed to have their own unique spin within the genre, even though nowadays I don't listen to them I understand why I found them appealing in my angsty teenage years.

Now I know the pit has a wide age variety amongst the users so I'm simply wondering what the genre of your teenage generation was, how it's changed and what it's become now. Note I'm NOT restricting this to metal. For me, having a look at what "core" is nowadays, more specifically "metalcore", it seems that no one band is distinguishable from the other other than what they look like, generic is the word I'd use.

Apologies for the long OP.

Anyways Pit.

Go.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Gah, lost my whole post.

Anyways, growing up, the major gens for me were numetal, Britpop, metalcore (KsE era- still one of the best bands at what they do) and UK alt rock/metal. The first three most will be familiar with, the last one was very UK-centric, although there were a number of international breakthrough bands- Funeral for a Friend and Lostprophets being the most notable examples. But you also had InMe, Reuben, The Music, Hell is Heroes, ...And They Shall Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Hundred Reasons... highly recommended for those who missed it at the time, some excellent examples of rock mixed with pop sensibilities and melodies.

I'd say that UK alt rock didn't really evolve into anything. It just... happened, and nothing really came from it.
the teens where im from only listen to (c)rap. it is saddening because i love classic Rock but i am the only person here who does. i was born in the wrong year :/

TS, no offense or anything, but most of the time, people here don't want to talk about the things you want to talk about.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
TS I'll not be an asshole and actually be serious.

I was into the whole core thing back then too, and back then it was new. Obviously it existed before that time but that's when the genre exploded. The reason everything in the genre sound generic to you is because there just isn't anywhere else to go with it. All sub genres are like that. You can only do so much before you have to dip into/add elements of other sub genres to sound different.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
TS, no offense or anything, but most of the time, people here don't want to talk about the things you want to talk about.

I think it's because he's a dork

dude you're a dork
banned
I bet you some of my friends would still be listening to shit like Avenged Senvenfold and The Devil Wears Prada if I didn't constantly erode their self confidence and force my superior opinions on them.

Most people in my high school probably listened to corridos and banda shit lol
Quote by Joshua Garcia

I know, but maybe, just maybe some people do, and I just had to take that chance. I just had to.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Ugh, the hardcore forum is leaking into the pit. Pretty soon someone is gonna be going on about metalcore not being real metalcore, and trying to convince people that Converge is so great.
Quote by ProgFripp74
I know, but maybe, just maybe some people do, and I just had to take that chance. I just had to.
Ian is gone, man.
Let him go.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by MeTallIcA313
Ugh, the hardcore forum is leaking into the pit. Pretty soon someone is gonna be going on about metalcore not being real metalcore, and trying to convince people that Converge is so great.

well yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeWDfSFcwf4
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by MeTallIcA313

nothing wrong with converge man
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
nothing wrong with converge man

Don't care for them. I got nothing against them, they were just the hardcore forum's go to circle jerk band as an example of good music.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Ian is gone, man.
Let him go.

Ian will never leave, his legacy will live on forever. He'll be back one day and he'll see all of the great work we've been doing, anticipating his magnificent return.

Actually, I've never really spoken to Ian, or taken any notice of what he says
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

sadcore > slowcore > any other core.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by ProgFripp74
Ian will never leave, his legacy will live on forever. He'll be back one day and he'll see all of the great work we've been doing, anticipating his magnificent return.

Actually, I've never really spoken to Ian, or taken any notice of what he says
All you need to know is that he was an anti-metal music elitist diaper-wearing furry who loved to troll people.

A lot of people hated him. I was always just meh of him.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Baby Joel
sadcore > slowcore > any other core.

americanpiecore and guyfiericore are my favs

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
It went from bad rap to bad pop and bad electronic stuff

this
I saw converge live and thought they were horrible

Dethklok Mastodon and High On Fire though
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
you know the other week I was thinking about the popular rappers/hip hop artists during my teens and wonder what all happened to them. Turns out most of them are bankrupt and/or in jail, pretty much forgotten.

lol

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by MeTallIcA313

the hardcore forum has plagued the pit for years now
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
For me growing up it went like this:

Video Game Soundtracks > Linkin Park > Emo/Pop Punk/Alt-Rock explosion > Metalcore > Melodeath > Eurometal and Prog.

Pop punk / alternative rock was the big thing in rock music during my teenage years. All the Warped Tour acts from 2003-2007 or so.

Nowadays that stuff is super scene metalcore or deathcore, and is pretty worn out. This is only in the states. Metal is still pretty good in Europe.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by ProgFripp74
For me, having a look at what "core" is nowadays, more specifically "metalcore", it seems that no one band is distinguishable from the other other than what they look like, generic is the word I'd use.

congratulations on realizing what has happened to every single sort of music ever to exist particularly the ones like metalcore that are semi-commercially viable

-unique, interesting, influential band
-other bands like, follow in footsteps
-"style" is developed
-more bands follow in footsteps
-newer bands sound like older bands

you now know what everybody else already has known for a while
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
growing up early it was mostly 90's stuff like Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains, and Tool inspired stuff like Chevelle and 10 Years and various rap and R&B

then I went scene

now I'm not scene anymore
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Is there any -core stuff left (I mean I listen to hardcore stuff now, but I mean core core).
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Is there any -core stuff left (I mean I listen to hardcore stuff now, but I mean core core).

You mean like 'scenecore' or whatever it's called? Absolutely.

You are just not teenager anymore. If it wasn't for a couple of my friends I would be too old to know what this shit is lol.
Quote by slipknot5678
You mean like 'scenecore' or whatever it's called? Absolutely.

You are just not teenager anymore. If it wasn't for a couple of my friends I would be too old to know what this shit is lol.

"Cuz they know I hate c*nts."

I'm glad I'm almost 25.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by MinterMan22
the teens where im from only listen to (c)rap. it is saddening because i love classic Rock but i am the only person here who does. i was born in the wrong year :/

funniest post
Where I'm from, you're not cool if you're not hardcore.
I pride myself on my humility.
Page 1 of 2