I was given a digitech death metal pedal as a birthday gift. Can I use it as a boost? Anybody have any experience doing that? I guess I could sell it and get a fish and chips or an sd-1.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Never tried it, but it might be hard to use it as a boost since it doesn't seem to have a gain control. normally you'd set the gain control pretty low.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by romeozdistress
I was given a digitech death metal pedal as a birthday gift. Can I use it as a boost? Anybody have any experience doing that? I guess I could sell it and get a fish and chips or an sd-1.

i have done it a few times (with a modified rat) and have heard reference to doing it with a metal zone before. i usually ran it with the gain dialed back to 0.

the results can be quite good, it can also not be so good. for example the rat was great boosting a driven amp and tightening up a good distortion tone, but it tended to sound pinched when used to get 'dirty' tones and it robbed a bunch of low end as well.

best thing to do is just try it out. can't hurt anything.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Had a Digitech distortion pedal that had no gain controls. I think it's from the same series your Death Metal pedal is from. I doubt it can be used as a boost. It was all gain, all the time.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Had a Digitech distortion pedal that had no gain controls. I think it's from the same series your Death Metal pedal is from. I doubt it can be used as a boost. It was all gain, all the time.

i just looked it up, no gain control. don't think i have ever seen a distortion pedal without a gain control.

so, yeah, you won't be able to use this as a boost.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ Yeah that's my concern. I mean, you can still try, it shouldn't hurt anything, just it'll be balls to the wall all the time, as you said.

You can certainly do it with a distortion pedal which does have a gain control, I've tried it with a bunch of distortion pedals- rat, ds1, etc. I generally prefer OD pedals for that, though. But everyone's different and it's worth a try to see if you like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I figured , just figured I'd see if anyone had tried it. Was just wondering if it would be useful. You can use a new for a clean boost right? Like say fish and chips. My new coming tomorrow has no eq. So is think a eq would need to come before od. I can probably sell this pedal on eBay.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
yeah you can use an eq as a clean boost. advantage of an od is you can dial in overdrive on the pedal (and it's much more controllable in terms of volume).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I used my DS-1 as a boost, worked ok. A Death Metal pedal all gained out, no. Even an overdrive with the drive up all the way will sound 10 times better than that as a boost.
Hell, even a metalzone will work better a boost.

Like people said, the problem is the lack of control on the gain.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Dave_Mc
Never tried it, but it might be hard to use it as a boost since it doesn't seem to have a gain control. normally you'd set the gain control pretty low.

The only thing I can add to this is that it's not that it just "might be hard," but in all likelihood, impossible. Just judging by the name and appearance, it's probably a high gain pedal.

I didn't even know gain there were gain pedals that don't let you set just how much gain to add to the signal.
Yeah it's weird lol
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'll just eBay this and maybe get danelectro fish and chips. Something useful.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It can't hurt to try. I briefly kept my Metalzone when I bought my 6505+ and tried using it as a boost -- didn't work at all so I sold that POS. But my HM-2 works as a boost just fine. I leave the distortion on zero or very close to zero and oddly enough, run it in the effects loop. It doesn't give my 6505+ any more gain that way, but colors the tone with that classic meatgrinder sound, while retaining the tightness of the 6505+.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
my gf got it from gc so well just take it back. it was like $20 lol. put that torward fish and chips probably maybe grab a sd-1 or bad monkey later.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Without a gain control you are kinda outta luck.

I've found some interesting sounds using a metalzone as a boost/eq filter kinda thing used in combination with a fuzz
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal