I am new to customizing and modding guitars, so Im not sure if this is a stupid question. Does cutting into the body of a guitar ruin it completely? I know it might alter the sound a bit (correct me if Im wrong)
I want to take my squire strat and cut a sliver off the side of the body to make something along the lines of this
http://www.tonycochranguitars.com/boostercaster.html
as you can see from the pics I would re-attatch the sliver on by means of some brass bits, but I dont think that will matter much.
Thanks
It will change the sound a bit, but on a low end guitar like that it won't be terribly noticeable. Just know that in doing so you are drastically affecting the resellability of the guitar. A refinish is one thing, carpentry is another.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Oh, I thought that if I do end up doing this it would INCREASE the value because now its more like a piece of art as opposed to a good playing guitar.
and I probably will be upgrading the hardware and stuff (Pickups etc.) once I do this.
Quote by ygmantell
Oh, I thought that if I do end up doing this it would INCREASE the value because now its more like a piece of art as opposed to a good playing guitar.
and I probably will be upgrading the hardware and stuff (Pickups etc.) once I do this.

The number of times this results in desirable art: one out of nine-hundred-eight-nine.

One man's "art" is another man's "Why the hell did some yahoo DO this to a perfectly good guitar?"

One more thing you want to understand going in. What you consider "upgrading" (hardware and stuff) is usually just considered a "side grade" by most other folks. No matter how much you're spending or how much better YOU think the results are. Chances are good that your "upgrades" will actually degrade the value of the guitar.
Quote by ygmantell
Doing this would mostly be for me, and not to resell.

In that case, whack away. You have my blessing, my son...

Post pics during and after. I want to see this.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Make one for it I personally really like the steampunk look on guitars, but yeah if I did it, it would have to be for my enjoyment. Would be a limited resale market for sure, especially on a squire.
get a piece of sheet metal and cut your own. The guitar you linked was 100% custom modded it is the thoughtful re purposing of things to get that steam-punk look right.

What is funny is that guy is selling you a modded cheap guitar for the price of a PRS Custom 24
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know, thats why I thought it made guitars valuable when you mod them like this. And people actually buy them!
This is also going to seem like a stupid question. Again Im new to this, But can I repaint the body over the already existing finish. (red sparkle, if that matters)?