I am looking at buying a made in Korea Koa strat. It sounds decent is set up well and is super comfortable to play.(and it looks great) They are asking $300.00 Cad.

Its hard to find any decent reviews, does anyone have any thoughts good or bad about this guitar? I'm hoping its not a 3 dressed up as a 9.
Quote by ghobby
I'm hoping its not a 3 dressed up as a 9.

Play it in the dark. That's where the rubber meets the road.
Quote by dspellman

You have the oddest fetishes
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by dspellman

I have enough trouble playing with the lights on.
I don't have any stories to share but i did do some research that eventually convinced me that it's not a safe pickup unless you check it over thoroughly. Lots of complaints. Also the pickups sounded pretty bright and if i recall correctly fender used an unusual pot/cap combination or something like that, so it's not going to sound exactly like a strat.
Quote by paul.housley.7
I don't have any stories to share but i did do some research that eventually convinced me that it's not a safe pickup unless you check it over thoroughly. Lots of complaints. Also the pickups sounded pretty bright and if i recall correctly fender used an unusual pot/cap combination or something like that, so it's not going to sound exactly like a strat.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm finding the same thing (mostly from older forums). Its hard to weed out the only good Fender is an American Fender bias, from actual unbiased info.

My first impression was that it is pretty decent. I'm going to see if I can try it out for a week first.
If it's Korean made, and Koa, it may not be a 3 dressed up as a 9, but it's probably no more than a 5 or 6 dressed up as a 9. The US made Fenders definitely aren't the only good ones (the Mexican models are usually solid, after a setup), but the Asian ones are definitely nothing special. The pickups and hardware are probably crap, but it might play well enough to be worth it. Like others said, just play it and see how you like it. Might be worth replacing the pickups, and it could be a good, and pretty, guitar.

At the store I work in, we have a US Select Series Telecaster with a Koa top. THAT thing is a beauty, and sounds like a dream.
Quote by The Judist
You have the oddest fetishes

You have no idea.

Could be worse, though. I might have been British.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 12, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
If it's Korean made, and Koa, it may not be a 3 dressed up as a 9, but it's probably no more than a 5 or 6 dressed up as a 9. The US made Fenders definitely aren't the only good ones (the Mexican models are usually solid, after a setup), but the Asian ones are definitely nothing special. The pickups and hardware are probably crap, but it might play well enough to be worth it. Like others said, just play it and see how you like it. Might be worth replacing the pickups, and it could be a good, and pretty, guitar.

At the store I work in, we have a US Select Series Telecaster with a Koa top. THAT thing is a beauty, and sounds like a dream.

If its a 6 then it might be worth the 300. It's just Koa veneer, but the neck is birdseye maple. The pickups are SD Alnico pros, the tuners look to be just standard and its got a 2 point tremelo.

I played it a lot today, seems pretty good. I did notice a small chip but nothing major.

I have seen the US Select Tele but with blackwood (think that's right) top. It was a gorgeous guitar, didn't try it as I'd just be teasing myself.