Page 1 of 2
How do you guys justify the "You don't need another guitar" or "you have too many, sell one" arguments?

Should I just hide them now?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
When I buy a new piece of gear I don't bother justifying it to anyone. Never have, never will.

Might be different for you though, partner getting on your ass about it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
When I buy a new piece of gear I don't bother justifying it to anyone. Never have, never will.

Might be different for you though, partner getting on your ass about it?

Parents

My misses lives in Ireland, so she can't give me bother
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Parents

My misses lives in Ireland, so she can't give me bother

Hmmm, that does have a different kind of problem to it... I think the solution is more or less just to make sure you're taking up as little space as possible and not getting in anyone's way. That's how I keep my folks happy when I'm living with them at least

Obviously though, the solution is to become emancipated from your family and find one that has a large house full of other musicians; they tend to care less

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have 4 wall hangers and I'm too lazy to put up another

I'm limited to 4, and I will keep at least 2 (my Ibbys) forever. In fact, I'm currently trying to get rid of the Cort to get a Blacktop Jag.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have never had this problem with my parents... actually my mom keeps telling me that I could use another guitar/piano/keyboard/whatever. However none of my girlfriends have been too sympathetic to this

I'm currently trying to get rid of the Cort to get a Blacktop Jag.

I recently recorded with a Blacktop Tele, wonderful guitar
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by Darth Crow at Aug 12, 2014,
Usually when I get new gear there's at least one person who asks me 'do you really need this?'

Not needing a new guitar is the worst excuse to not buy one.
The way I see it, who the hell cares what others think? As long as you're happy and not hurting anyone, do what you want.

I just make sure I have money for necessities. As someone who is still studying at university and financially dependent on his parents, pretty much all my money goes to luxuries anyway.
Quote by Fisheth24
How do you guys justify the "You don't need another guitar" or "you have too many, sell one" arguments?

I dont because its kind of true. Doesnt mean I dont want another one though!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I dont because its kind of true. Doesnt mean I dont want another one though!

Pfffft, I didn't need one guitar to begin with

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I keep all of mine in cases in a closet. Also, buy more than one of the same guitar to use for different tunings or with different pickups. Don’t do stupid shit like hang a dozen guitars on the wall and expect someone else to dust them for you.
I have a lot of thoughts on this because I've been everywhere on this issue.....

First off, I'm lucky, I married the right woman, heck, she even buys ME guitars sometimes. She picked out my main HSS Strat, painted a few coats of gold on my Dean ML-X, and has had a hand in the cosmetic upgrades I have made to both my Les Paul, MusicMaster, and various other guitars.

As long as things are financially stable at the time, and and other responsibilities are met, she's fine with me buying another guitar as long as it...

1) is not the same exact color or model as one of my other ones
2) looks cool for photo shoots
3) It's especially great if I build it because she's always involved in the design/construction process in some way

Second Off, people who don't play guitar, or do and are not big-time guitar enthusiasts, don't get the point of owning multiple. To them, a guitar, is a guitar, is a guitar. No sense in trying to tell them otherwise, they don't get it, they don't have the ears to tell the sound difference, nor do they posess the enthusiasm to appreciate the aespects of different designs. To them, you hold a Red Strat and a Blonde Telecaster up to them, and they will more than likely pick one or the other based on which one is prettier or has less dings.

Lastly, I think it's a really BAD Idea to let people know how many guitars you actually own unless unavoidable. It's none of their damned business, and I've found in band situations, I get into a lot of spats with fanboys and people who own less on why I don't have xx guitar with xx features. ie "You have 30' guitars, don't you have an SG in there somewhere?" or "you have 30 guitars, why are none of them a Gibson?".

It's better not to give them the ammunition in the first place...now I'm inspired to write a blog post on this. As far as what other people think outside of friends, family, and those that matter, screw them, it's not their thing, so why are they even commenting on it?
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Fisheth24
How do you guys justify the "You don't need another guitar"

"Because I can."

It's that simple. I don't need to justify it any further than that if I earned the money to get something nice that'll supplement the hobby.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 12, 2014,
"You're right, Honey. I suppose I need drums to go with all my guitars."
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
wall hangers are my current probably futile attempt
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster
"You're right, Honey. I suppose I need drums to go with all my guitars."

Check mate.

Although my partner would probably just agree

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
We're actually shopping for electric drums now. I want to record with them, and she always wanted to learn, so it works out.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've given myself a hard and fast rule - no more than 20 of any kind of instrument or, running out of room in the spare bedroom to keep it all (whichever comes first). If I want #21 I'll have to get rid of something. Sad sad day and I just broke my own rule.... I got #21 a month ago and I'm looking over my guitar children trying to figure out which one I'm going to sell off.
Sitting at 20 right now...and looking at more.

I justify them to myself- and no one else- by saying:

1) different guitars sound different- HSS doesn't sound like SSS, HH or 3xP90, or etc. Solidbodies, semihollows and hollowbodies have different tonal qualities. And Baritones. And 12-strings. And Acoustics.

2) I play in alternative tunings, and retuning is a PITA which also stresses the strings.

3) within each tuning, I want a variety of options- see point 1.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just cause I've ordered some more stuff and I want to sneak it past my parents when it comes to the door. Problem is it looks like none of my other guitars! I need to start buying red strats and only red strats!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Just cause I've ordered some more stuff and I want to sneak it past my parents when it comes to the door. Problem is it looks like none of my other guitars! I need to start buying red strats and only red strats!

What have you bought now?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
What have you bought now?

Guess
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A warlock or something pointy.

OH ANOTHER DEAN OLD SKULL?!

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
i just tell my mom this one sounds different than my old one and i got it with a cheap price xD

im working and buying my gear with my money so i dont need to justify anything

but my friends ( none of them play guitar) are giving me a hard time they thing u should only have one guitar and a crap amp is ok to go with it and rock n roll is the music of the devil damn

but how do u guys justify(to yourselfs) going to ebay right after u brought your new guitar home
please ignore my username
Last edited by nirvana_n_roses at Aug 12, 2014,
Quote by Carrot
A warlock or something pointy.

OH ANOTHER DEAN OLD SKULL?!

I wish Couldn't afford it! It's another Dean tho.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by nirvana_n_roses
i just tell my mom this one sounds different than my old one and i got it with a cheap price xD

im working and buying my gear with my money so i dont need to justify anything

but my friends ( none of them play guitar) are giving me a hard time they thing u should only have one guitar and a crap amp is ok to go with it and rock n roll is the music of the devil damn

but how do u guys justify(to yourselfs) going to ebay right after u brought your new guitar home

Part of the GAS my friend, part of the GAS!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I wish Couldn't afford it! It's another Dean tho.

Ive no idea what you could of gotten now..

Oh ive had an offer of a Dean Hardtail ( mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck, ebony fret board, Dean Nostalgia and Equaliser pickups)
Any ideas?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Dean 550?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by nirvana_n_roses

Justify schmustify.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by nirvana_n_roses

As long as you have enough money to live comfortably, do as you please with your money. This is why I love the zZounds Pay As You Play option.
There's nobody in my life who thinks that too many guitars could ever be problem. And if anyone ever does, they're not going to be in my life for long.
Quote by the_bi99man
There's nobody in my life who thinks that too many guitars could ever be problem. And if anyone ever does, they're not going to be in my life for long.

Tell that to my parents
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Tbf, my mate has an full 8 guitar rack and 2 guitars on wall hangers and a couple under his bed. His parents dont really mind as they are all in his room and paid for by himself.

I really want to get a 7 rack and get an SC607 telecaster and something pointy..

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
If someone tries to get me to justify buying more gear I explain why the new gear is useful to me in so much detail they regret bringing it up
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i start counting her shoes and purses.

truth be told, she'd rather i kept them all. i only want a few that i like so i sell off the heavier ones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just say "Gee mom, by selling some guitars and not buying more I'll have the cash to start shooting up on heroin and banging hookers - even the high class ones! Great idea Mom!"
Problem solved.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Fisheth24

Should I just hide them now?

They only one I have had these kind of thoughts with is myself.

Due to that it is also one of the logic reasons that I end up with just my Stratocaster and Jackson RR + 2 acustics.

They all sound very different and feel different which makes them worth keeping.

I have a little problem deciding on getting a new 3rd electric but to break the old stupid habit I got one on hold as I am writing this.
Quote by The Judist
Just say "Gee mom, by selling some guitars and not buying more I'll have the cash to start shooting up on heroin and banging hookers - even the high class ones! Great idea Mom!"
Problem solved.

Gonna try that!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The answer is simple: I EARNED THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THIS!

As long as the money was earned by you or given to you as a gift, it's yours. No one should be dictating how you spend it. I can understand if space is a concern or if you're not able to pay bills, but beyond that...do what you want with your money.
Quote by Blompcube
If someone tries to get me to justify buying more gear I explain why the new gear is useful to me in so much detail they regret bringing it up

hahahahaha

"You see, this one has alnico V magnets. Now, these are totally different from alnico II- which I also have because they're nice in a different way.

Interesting fact, these ones use bar magnets whereas in these ones the pole-pieces are magnets..."

yeah that could work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2