No.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
Never thought I'd be so disappointed in this band... Lopez is the only part of this band keeping it real. The rest is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

....sorry, fell asleep for a second
The beginning sounds like Watershed material, passed through an uninspiration and dilution filter. Then it sounds like Still Life / Damnation / Deliverance, which is alright.

I paused Inquisition to listen to this. Compared to all the fun Incubus gets to have, I feel bad for Axe.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
For years Opeth just remained uninspired to my ears, but the last two albums have been real eye openers for me. The Jazz/protorock fusin is just unreal. Shows how far the musicality of a metalhead can go in other settings.
Upon further listening, I've decided Mikael Akerfelt has lost his motherfucking marbles.

In other news, Opeth does more imitation '70s Prog Rock in 2015! The story, next!
Music oughta grip your soul, never the portrayed visual image. Rush never sold out. They helped pushed the boundary so long, they got tired and ran out of ideas, on account of old age. Opeth... well...

"Thunderheads are rumbling in a Distant. Over. Ture!"

Now that's how you ****ing do it right there.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Aug 19, 2014,
I found that Rush had a solid career throughout but never matched the quality of their contemporaries from the 70s. They did however remain solid while the rest of them petered out in the 80s.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by blackone666
They could keep doing The Lotus Eater forever, and become a joke-big-band like Trivium or Machine Head, but they chose not to do it. For me, that is respectable (or maybe I'm just gullible)

---> http://pitchfork.com/advance/519-pale-communion/

Or, you know, they could keep mixing metal and prog in interesting and new ways, like they did before Heritage.
I'm actually going to backpedal slightly and admit that the record as a whole was a bit better than I expected it was going to be. It's the same style as Heritage was, but executed much, much better. There were some moments of classic Opeth brilliance in the last couple minutes of Moon Above, Sun Below and I quite liked that part in Goblin where it sounds like there's a bit of delay on the electric guitar, and I really liked the "ooh, ooh" part of Faith In Others.

But it still falls a little short simply because there are parts where it would be perfect to go into a heavy riff, but just continues along it's prog worship. Like that part of Goblin I mentioned above- that would be a great spot for a heavy guitar to come crashing in and shake things up a bit, but it just continues in the same monotonous tone.

Overall, it's not exactly a headbanger album that you blast in your car... it's more like an album to drink coffee & chill out to in the morning on your day off from work. Like all Opeth albums, it seems as if it will suit the cold, Autumn months... so I look forward to listening to this more in October.
Quote by progbass
I found that Rush had a solid career throughout but never matched the quality of their contemporaries from the 70s. They did however remain solid while the rest of them petered out in the 80s.

yeah i always found it interesting that they fall under classic prog but their peak was late 70's/early 80's. i think they had a few really strong records but overall i agree, i think there was always a lot of hard rock influence left over which is why they are more popular/accessible as well as less complex then some other classic prog bands.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long

I want more life.........fvcker
HESSIAN HAREM
With Opeth, I've learned to like their new stuff for what it is, not what it isn't. All comparisons to other prog bands aside, their music still has an Opeth feel and takes me on a journey. Heritage isn't an album I play very often, but when I do, I'm always pleased with the moods and textures. As someone else said, it's a great album for sitting around the house drinking coffee on a rainy autumn day. From what I've heard of Pale Communion, it'll be much the same.

That said, I prefer the older Opeth content. I thought they were progressive enough with Ghost Reveries (my favorite album by them) while still being a death metal band with heavy riffs. If they could incorporate at least a few heavier riffs from time to time, I'd be more excited about their new material. Some of my favorite old songs from them didn't necessarily feature death growls, but the music was still heavy and dark. I wish Mikael would just come out and say he can't do death growls anymore -- instead of saying shit like "he's tired of metal."

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see them live during the Ghost Reveries era. They were epic.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I wish Mikael would just come out and say he can't do death growls anymore -- instead of saying shit like "he's tired of metal."

I had actually been meaning to ask... does he not do them at all anymore? Like, has anyone here seen them live post-Heritage? When they play old songs, does Mikael do the growls? I was gonna look into seeing them in San Francisco with In Flames later this year, but if he doesn't even do the growls in the old songs that had them to begin with, I'd be much much much less excited to see Opeth.
Quote by KailM
That said, I prefer the older Opeth content. I thought they were progressive enough with Ghost Reveries (my favorite album by them) while still being a death metal band with heavy riffs. If they could incorporate at least a few heavier riffs from time to time, I'd be more excited about their new material.

Yes, there's so many opportunities for that in their new stuff. BUT NO! It just keeps trying to be '70s Prog. Fuck that, Mikael.
Quote by KailM
I wish Mikael would just come out and say he can't do death growls anymore -- instead of saying shit like "he's tired of metal."

I would suspect he has a hard time doing them because he's tired of metal. It's very hard to do any kind of music convincingly if you don't feel it right down to your bones, and that is especially true for death metal. Because most death metal fans are straight up obsessive & possessive about the music they listen to, it's very easy to spot someone who is "faking" it.

I agree with the opinion that Mike should've ended Opeth after Ghost Reveries & gone on to a solo career... however, that would mean Opeth would've broken their contract and he wouldn't have even been able to put out new music at all. And everyone is aware of the ruthless treatment Roadrunner subjects their artists to when they fail to meet their contractual obligations. So, it's either that, or the fact that he feels that he *is* Opeth since he writes all the music, just as Mustaine *is* Megadeth.

Or I'm just talking out my ass. You choose.
^^There may be some truth to that. But I think even he has admitted that his voice has been damaged over the years. It's very unfortunate. I saw a recent youtube of him performing an older song and he still did the death vocals, but it seemed like he was struggling to do them -- he even made a comment beforehand to the effect of "this will probably kill my voice, but here goes..." I'm not judging the guy for not wanting to do them anymore -- it has to hurt!

Anyway, I've got nothing bad to say about Mikael or Opeth in general. I like their new approach, but I prefer the older albums which were actually metal.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Well, while Mikael is clearly uncomfortable with the growling parts, he is capable to do it. There is a ton of videos out there.

Reading the comments, it's like you all almost want Opeth to be stale! D:
It would help if he played better music. I'd prefer an hour of nonstop counterpoint melodies with Mike and Peter than any of the relative (being the keyword) garbage that is this stuff. They can be a purely musical act, no vocals, and it would sound ****ing beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74VTf9RypfU

I don't want Opeth to be stale, but they are stale, cuz Mike's not willing to explore, really. Yeah, he's doing some prog stuff, but it sounds like ass, and he has and can do tons better.

No growlies necessary. Just put together the riffs like you and Peter used to, Mike.

edit: and so many great members in the band's history! (DeFarfalla is like Thunderfingers himself).
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Aug 23, 2014,
Shouldn't even speak as I haven't heard it (would cost money and don't want to steal it, but)...

Am quite enjoying December Flower right now, and Moonsorrow. Opeth was the shit in 2004, but it's 2014 and there are other great bands out there. If this thing fails to continue to inspire then who cares?

I just won't buy it, and haven't bothered yet.

More excited about In Vain than Opeth..
I usually don't comment until I've had 3-4 listens to a new album, but I felt compelled to do so after one listen of Pale Communion.

They took everything that was good on Heritage and got rid of it. There are next to zero riffs, the more "moody" stuff is just recycled from Heritage, and yeah....

There's a couple nice solos I guess. This will be the last Opeth album I buy. I won't say that it's bad music, it's just not Opeth and it's definitely not metal. It's not even hard rock. As others have alluded to, I think Opeth started dying when Peter Lindgren left the band. That death is now complete.

I will eagerly wait for the new At the Gates album to restore my faith in Swedish metal...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by KailM
I usually don't comment until I've had 3-4 listens to a new album, but I felt compelled to do so after one listen of Pale Communion.

They took everything that was good on Heritage and got rid of it. There are next to zero riffs, the more "moody" stuff is just recycled from Heritage, and yeah....

IMO, Pale Communion fixes everything that was wrong with Heritage. The songs are more focused and the album feels far more coherent and unified as a whole. Heritage had some good tunes but was a jumbled mess.

It's not Opeth of old, nor is it reinventing the wheel, but it's a solid prog album with good songs. I like it. I suggest giving it that 3rd or 4th listen before you blast it to pieces.

Quote by KaliM
I will eagerly wait for the new At the Gates album to restore my faith in Swedish metal...

Why wait for At the Gates when you can just listen to the new albums from Portrait and Falconer? At War With Reality is probably going to be significantly worse than both. (EDIT: The new Crystal Eyes is pretty tasty too.)
Last edited by Scourge441 at Aug 27, 2014,
Not to be a negative Nancy but we aren't going to get a caliber release along the lines of Red in the Sky is Ours from AtG. It will be a shallow and depressing effort akin to SotS.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Not to be a negative Nancy but we aren't going to get a caliber release along the lines of Red in the Sky is Ours from AtG. It will be a shallow and depressing effort akin to SotS.

Which is why we have the new Prosanctus Inferi to keep us happy.
I really enjoyed the album. I'm also kind of a 70s geek. But, it's pretty simple for those of you wondering whether or not to buy it. If you're purely a metalhead, you're not going to like it. If you're opened minded, you'll either like it or appreciate it for what it is; a prog rock album. A7X and Metallica went through the same type of criticism on changing their sound and they seem to be doing okay.
Ugh. I hate the term "open minded." Reeks of hipster douchiness. Don't get me wrong, it's good to be able to think critically, I just hate that term... it's always the worst kind of people that use it. It's like the "go to" term for someone to spew when you don't agree with their dumbass opinion... "well, if you were more open minded, blah blah blah..."
Being a huge fan of the Golden era of progressive rock, I will be the first to say that this album is garbage and would of faded into obscurity beside those releases. And rightfully so.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by guitgrinder
Ugh. I hate the term "open minded." Reeks of hipster douchiness. Don't get me wrong, it's good to be able to think critically, I just hate that term... it's always the worst kind of people that use it. It's like the "go to" term for someone to spew when you don't agree with their dumbass opinion... "well, if you were more open minded, blah blah blah..."

Chip on your shoulder much? lol
Last edited by FamousA at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by progbass
Being a huge fan of the Golden era of progressive rock, I will be the first to say that this album is garbage and would of faded into obscurity beside those releases. And rightfully so.

Honest question. What albums has Opeth ripped off to make Pale Communion? I'm loving the sound of this album and I'd enjoy a journey to the true best moments of 70's prog. I've heard (and enjoyed) a bit of Camel and Yes, if that helps (though I have no albums, so album recs for those bands would be great too, if they are on the list).

*edit: I accidentally called it "Pale Folklore"
Last edited by NABEF9 at Aug 29, 2014,
Comus' First Utterance is where they got the title for "My Arms, Your Hearse" and probably a lot of influence.

and for good reason, as that record is one of the finest in prog

as far as reccs for prog albums in general, we have a thread we made a couple years back just for that
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481447
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
A lot of the Symphonic groups from the early 70s is where he gets most of his draw from (because let's be honest we know who is writing all the material here). I would say stuff like

Yes - Close to the Edge
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Camel - Camel ~ Mirage ~ Snow goose Chronicles ~ Moonmadness
King Crimson - In the Court
Doors - Doors

That's where most of it comes from, namely Barden and Latimer of Camel fame. Side note - Pale Folklore is a Agalloch album, and they ripped on In The Woods (Heart of Ages in particular) and Sol Invictus (the Death of the West live album is choice) for that particular release.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by guitgrinder

I agree. And to all of those who say that people who don't like the new Opeth just aren't open-minded, I say: What's more closed-minded? Being turned off when a band completely ditches part of what made them unique and interesting in the first place? Or writing off entire albums of beautiful music as "cookie monster bullshit" (as so many do) just because there's 15 minutes of growls over an hour-long album?
Page 1 of 2