Hey. I want to start recording guitar/have something to play on without amp.
Audio interface is good idea? I know almost nothing about this stuff.
What I need beside interface?

And then if audio interface is right choice - which one should I buy?
I have money for Line6 UX1 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
If thats matter, I'm gonna play everything on that from folk to metal.
The genre doesn't matter, no

You will need an audio interface, yes, and not the 2i2 nor the UX1 are really good choices.
I mean, I can't think of a better sounding interface than the 2i2 for the same money, but I can think of plenty for little more money, or the same/less if you're willing to buy used stuff.

Mackie onyx blackjack, roland duo capture...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well, I haven't heard about other interface. Sadly money is issue. Scarlett 2i2 price is peak.
Little more money for you is quite a lot for me since I live in PL.

But, please, name few others interfaces.
And explain me how it will work. I plug guitar into interface, connect interface with computer then?

Btw: Oh, since when Spambots are that useful?
Quote by szanks
Btw: Oh, since when Spambots are that useful?

This one is quite good

Quote by Spambot_2
Mackie onyx blackjack, roland duo capture...

You recommend these a lot, how come you've never done a write up of them to get them included in the sticky?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I just now saw READ ME thread. What about Line6 POD studio gx? It's quite cheaper which is great and I don't expect that much.
Quote by szanks
But, please, name few others interfaces.
And explain me how it will work. I plug guitar into interface, connect interface with computer then?
You plug whatever signal source (guitar, keyboard, mic...) into the interface using whatever connector, usually an 1/4" jack or an XLR connector, the interface remains plugged into the computer, and after you properly set up the driver and the application to receive audio from your interface, what goes into the interface gets to the computer.

Then you have fancy stuff like hardware/direct/input monitoring, which lets you hear whatever's going into the inputs without passing through the computer, to eliminate monitoring latency.
I highly suggest you reading the instructions manual of whatever you'll get.

Also monitoring is a cool way of saying "listening", more or less like monitoring data means checking/looking at data on paper or on a screen or similar.

As for other interfaces, there's the steinberg UR22 which is 0.k. for the money, the roland duo caputre EX which is good for the money, the presonus 22VSL which has inputs too hot for recording most direct guitars bit it's on sale on sweetwater for dirt cheap, the behringer euphoria UMC202 which IMO is worth a shot 'cause it may have the same converters in the ADA8200 and it's also very cheap.
Quote by GaryBillington
This one is quite good

Quote by GaryBillington
You recommend these a lot, how come you've never done a write up of them to get them included in the sticky?
The mackie in particular, thanks for noticing

Thing is, I don't agree with lotsa stuff written in the interfaces sticky, say the thing about the 1/4" to 3.5mm converter blowing your mic input, which is bs carried on by the fact that people mechanically destroy the cheap 3.5mm inputs by plugging something too heavy in them and treating them bad in general.

It's not even worth mentioning that when I pointed that out nobody listened to me and preferred replying "no, it blows up, because reasons I don't know, but it happens the way I'm describing".

I also have written lotsa times that the whole scarlett line doesn't really sound good, and people disagreed on me with that more than 9 times out of 10.

Was I to rewrite the whole thing, I'd write most stuff differently, and since I've already had evidence most people (including ChemicalFire) won't agree with me on what I'd change, I think it would be a bit of a waste of time and an annoyance for ChemicalFire, who'd had to tell me I'm wrong once more.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
But guys What about - Line 6 POD Studio GX!
I think it will be enough for beginner. What's your opinion?
^ that's pretty limited for the money, and it will not sound that good.
Also it comes with POD farm, or at least a limiter version of it, and even the full version isn't much good imo.

If you wanted something for guitar only, I'd much rather go for an unbranded guitar link.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For the 1/4 to 3.5mm thing. Truth is it doesn't always break stuff, hell it might not the majority of times. We're all aware of that. However it CAN and at the time of writing the sticky the regs pretty much agreed that we'd rather not risk breaking peoples shit instead of telling them to do it. It seemed pointless considering the no name guitarlinks are pretty cheap and definitely won't break anything.

And I'm not against getting your input for a rewrite man, if nothing else the whole thread could probably do with a going over. It's quite old by this point.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 13, 2014,
Aaaiight then, I'll try and write some stuff.

As for the adapter, my concern in that there's written the thing might "blow" the mic input, which isn't the case at all, and that created some confusion in the past, with people arguing a signal coming from a guitar could blow up a mic input, which again is not the case.

Also you're being pretty "unfriendly" and intolerant towards the people who do that because they don't know shit about what they're doing.
I mean they don't know what they're doing

Anyway, yeah, I'll try and write something about the interfaces and pm it to you.

Also since we're at it could you add bx_rockrack to the amp sims list?
I tried and wrote a description in the style of the ones in the thread about it for your convenience, feel free to edit the way you prefer though.

Includes: Amps, Cabs, Rack Effects (eq, noise gate, delay, tuner)
One of the first plugin by brainworx, an audio plugins development company based in Germany, now famous among other things for the software recreation of the MAAG EQ4 and the Vertigo VSC2 compressor.
It features models of a low gain setting of a JCM800, a high gain setting of the same amp, the clean and lead channels of an ENGL e520, and Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb, plus two (one clean and one crunchy) "american jazz amps" since plugin alliance started distributing the brainworx plugins.
You can choose between 4 different cabs, each one mic'd with 3 different mic's to choose from, plus the option to bypass the cab and mic completely, you have a parametric EQ in the style of the bigger Mesa/Boogie amps, a noise gate, a delay and a tuner.
Last, there's an antialiasing/oversampling option going from 1x to 8x so you don't get any distortion due to downsampling too high harmonics.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
Presonus have the Audiobox for 99 bucks, that one works great with guitar
Unless you have even mildly hot p/ups, in which case you're likely to be overloading the input section most of the time you'll be recording direct guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Also you're being pretty "unfriendly" and intolerant towards the people who do that because they don't know shit about what they're doing.

Sounds like me. I can be a grouchy grouchy man.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

That's a bit of the case of before we kinda went with the no tolerance approach, people refused to acknowledge that it was a problem. We had quite a lot of people in the lead up to the sticky who came along and basically said "With the adapter I can make it fit, why doesn't it sound like a professional recording", then when we tried to tell them that was their problem they'd just start complaining that we all knew nothing and it couldn't be that because they read somewhere it could work.

I'll admit we could probably handle it a little better, but unfortunately there's only so many ways to tell people to read the damn sticky before they post without offending them. And saying it the same way every time gets boring
Next question - is there any viable amp with recording option?
All amps have the viable option of being mic'd up through your interface.

Some modelling amps include a USB output, and sometimes this can be used for recording, other times it's only for patch updates. You'd need to check the manual.

However, as it says in the sticky:

Can't I just record using the USB output of my *insert cheap modelling amp here*
Technically yes, but it won't sound great. Those USB outputs are notoriously bad.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, that's hard to decide. I'm amazed by Yamaha THR10X but it won't serve my needs.
I guess i'll go with Line6 pod gx studio since it's not that expensive. It will be enough to record some medium quality songs.

What's your opinion on my decision?
My opinion is that if you just want a cheap way to get started, it'll do, although the unbranded guitar link would be even cheaper.

The key thing is that so long as your expectations are lined up with your investment, it will be good enough.

Truth is, if you're just getting started you won't discover the limitations of your interface until you've had a lot of practice. The main issue with cheap kit is that your skill & ambition can outgrow the equipment very quickly. The old rule of "buy cheap, buy twice" applies, and based on that it would be better to spend the absolute minimum to get started, then if/when you start getting seriously into it you've lost less money when you upgrade.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 14, 2014,
So guitar link will work same as interface?
I plug guitar into computer and record/play?
Then I have to use some software yes? For example amplitube?
This guitar link is capable of having some decent metal tones?
Last edited by szanks at Aug 14, 2014,
Yes, the guitar link will work as an interface. If you're looking for a cheap option, it's the cheapest option out there and won't be much different to using a more expensive, but still cheap interface.

Yes, you can plug into your computer and record/play, using the same software as other interfaces.

The guitar link doesn't provide metal tones, nor does any other interface. The tone you get will depend on the amp sims etc you apply in the software. We have a whole sticky dedicated to those as well.

As far as how 'decent' they will be, obviously you won't get the same quality you would with one of the more expensive interfaces (always remember, you can't polish a turd), but you will get something perfectly acceptable....with practice.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You convinced me for guitar link.

Behringer guitar link UCG102 is good idea?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just in case, bear in mind that the links I posted are the UK Amazon site, so as you're in Poland you'll need to search for it on their Polish site (I assume that exists?)
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Why not the $100 Presonus? It comes with 2 input audio card that also has mic inputs, recording software (Studio One) that has amp Sims and is robust enough that you won't have to ditch if your needs expand.
Personally I'll go with that. The Line6 stuff is awful, their software modeling is ghastly, I've used it in a friend's studio, it is really hard to dial in good metal tones. A few extra $ if you want to buy just a 1/4 to USB adapter but I think on par with Line6 in price.
I wouldn't recommend it because I've never seen it even close to that price. Where I am the cheapest Presonus available (22VSL) costs somewhere inbetween the focusrite 2i2 and 2i4. Considering I would say the 2i4 is considerably better I would say saving for it is a better idea. To hold off until then if you really want to get started right now, the guitar link gives you a quick cheap easy way to do it without killing off all that money you have saved up for the 'right' interface.
If you're going to get a Scarlett, buy the 2i4. The 2i4 has a "pad" button, which means it doesn't cause level issues with instruments.

The 2i2 (for some reason) treats all things, instruments or mics, as the same. Since the voltage and impedance are obviously not the same, you can get bad recordings of instruments on the 2i2 at times.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The 2i2 (for some reason) treats all things, instruments or mics, as the same.
Not at all.
A pad is just a gain reduction, and the 2i2 doesn't have one, but the mic and inst inputs aren't the same at all.

I mean, you still plug the thing in the same plug, but the impedances and gains and paths are different.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have Scarlett 2i4 and I would definitely recommend it as a first interface. It will serve you for quite some time until you might wanna upgrade.
I bought a Line 6 Pod studio cheap ( http://www.clickplus.pt/p14755 ) and recorded guitars/bass and vocals with that piece. We made some midi drum tracks and keys and we we're all set when we begin, can't beat that for the price and the bundle of software included. You also have the x1 which is cheaper but I like the VU meters.