https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtxHlJ2FPo#t=341

Saw this video, to me it's close but I can tell the difference between the Axe FX and a real amp. What about you guys?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Just watched this on the Metalsucks page. I love the idea of an AxeFX (still haven't played one...). I agree with him that relying on the bar's sound guy for a good mix is a bit dodgy, but I think he's exaggerating A LOT. You have to take into account that they are rock solid units built for a TOURING MUSICIAN. Not your local rinky dink bar metal band. Yes, the small time guys should stick to heads and cabs. But a touring musician who owns an AxeFX wants something reliable that isn't going to blow a tube during a show so he has to go all around town looking for a replacement or bring a full set or two of tubes on tour just in case, and they will more than likely have their own sound guy too, so the mix isn't a problem.

Also, dude seems like a tool. Anyone who worships a 5150 that much is not to be trusted :P (jk jk....). Not a fan of the shirt, I love bass players. Seems like one of those old metal elitist types who thinks anything after Master of Puppets is irrelevant and probably can't pronounce "djent" properly.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
30 seconds in.

I already hate this guy.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by TheStig1214
Just watched this on the Metalsucks page. I love the idea of an AxeFX (still haven't played one...). I agree with him that relying on the bar's sound guy for a good mix is a bit dodgy, but I think he's exaggerating A LOT. You have to take into account that they are rock solid units built for a TOURING MUSICIAN. Not your local rinky dink bar metal band. Yes, the small time guys should stick to heads and cabs. But a touring musician who owns an AxeFX wants something reliable that isn't going to blow a tube during a show so he has to go all around town looking for a replacement or bring a full set or two of tubes on tour just in case, and they will more than likely have their own sound guy too, so the mix isn't a problem.

Also, dude seems like a tool. Anyone who worships a 5150 that much is not to be trusted :P (jk jk....). Not a fan of the shirt, I love bass players. Seems like one of those old metal elitist types who thinks anything after Master of Puppets is irrelevant and probably can't pronounce "djent" properly.

I agree. I think he brought up some decent points but I think he's just being an elitist and tone purist.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Hail
this guy isn't very good at dialing in tones

I was so very underwhelmed by his tones, I didn't even bother picking out which was which.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
i just got to his screaming about the price, $2200 is really cheap when you consider it's an audio interface, has dozens of effects, cab sims, and easy tweak access for clean recording (IE reamping, IRs)

then his argument about relying on the gig's sound guy...which is the same as relying on any sound guy. either hire your own or hook up a laptop and throw yourself to chance, but having control of the volume knob on your half stack doesn't mean you're going to sound good, when the whole point of having a FOH guy is that your perspective on the stage is grossly different from someone in the audience. aside from that, it's totally possible to just run it through a power amp (or bypass the preamp on a tube head) and run it like a conventional stack.

and he's forgetting the bit about it being bass compatible. granted, the bass isn't overwhelming without outside effects and a good amount of rigging, but it's definitely workable as an alternative to buying a completely separate rig for your bass and your guitars

idk this guy seems too "i listen to real metal, man, megadeth, bro" to me for me to not hate everything about him. plus he kinda looks like jim belushi with a wig and glasses
I find the audio quality of youtube is pretty good, but not "life like". I think it's impossible to judge the true tone of any piece of music gear from youtube.

Whenever I play my guitar at home through my amp...I know what it sounds like. I record it on my DAW, play it back... still sounds right. Then I upload that to youtube and it never sounds the exact same, it's really close but I find it's slightly off.....could be just me though?
I honestly think he could have tweaked the AxeFX closer.
I was fooled by the Cobra test though, only because I didn't remember anymore what it sounded like.

No it's not just you, Super-Peanut.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I like the Kemper over the Axe, but both are great really imo. That guy sucks though, he comes across as a complete dickhead.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I like the Kemper over the Axe, but both are great really imo. That guy sucks though, he comes across as a complete dickhead.

I think the Kemper and Axe have different uses. The Kemper is more straightforward and more for guys who use two, maybe three overall tones and two effects. Plus it is more plug and play. It would make no sense for a band like Trivium to have an Axe which has a ton of processing power, effects, amp models, ect ect if they only have one or two tones. It would be like buying a high power gaming computer just to look at lolcatz and reddit. But a band like Periphery, AAL, TesseracT or Scale the Summit needs an Axe because they do so many different sounds inside one song, let alone an entire set.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I think the Kemper and Axe have different uses. The Kemper is more straightforward and more for guys who use two, maybe three overall tones and two effects. Plus it is more plug and play. It would make no sense for a band like Trivium to have an Axe which has a ton of processing power, effects, amp models, ect ect if they only have one or two tones. It would be like buying a high power gaming computer just to look at lolcatz and reddit. But a band like Periphery, AAL, TesseracT or Scale the Summit needs an Axe because they do so many different sounds inside one song, let alone an entire set.

If you need processing power and more than on thing, L6 Vetta is a kick ass modeler that is ridiculously cheap used and will do 90% or better on the tone. Besides Modeling gear is for (most) people that can't somewhat dial in an amp to fit their needs or want a huge variety of sounds on the fly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 13, 2014,
I have several Pods, including current HD models. Also have one Axe-FX Ultra (predates the II). Just added a Torpedo C.A.B. to the mix, particularly to use with the Pods.

The Pod HD (bean version) was running about $199 back around Christmas from some dealers. I have both an FBV Shortboard (used: $89) and an Express (new: $99). The Torpedo C.A.B. was $549, but made a huge difference (it provides IRs of cabs and amazing models of power amp sections -- EL34s, EL84s, KT88s, 6L6s, etc., etc.). The sound quality of that rig is stunning, whether I"m running it through an FOH system or a personal full range speaker cab/power amp setup. Total rig cost: under $1000 plus whatever for speakers/etc..

You can tweak the Axe-FX a bit more, to be sure, but you can also get a bit obsessive about things. Great recording tool for tools that record. As noted, this is an expensive rig at new prices -- over $3K with the foot pedal MIDI rig.

Both of these rigs have a huge range of choices of amp/cab/FX, etc., so you really don't want to compare it to a single tube amp.

I have 15 tube amps and two and a half flap-top bins of FX and an assortment of speakers/cabs, including four 4x12s in storage. Cartage to haul even a small portion of this stuff to a recording session or a gig can be eye-opening. New values I don't want to think about. Maintenance, retubing, etc., ditto.

Having the ability to change the entire rig (via the modelers) with a single stomp, priceless.
Yeah. I really hope this guy doesn't get big so he doesn't spread anal purist rhetoric to guitarists surfing youtube. I will agree with his Autotune thing, but there's nothing wrong with using modelers, using a tempo, or technology to make your music. It's bullshit and pure opinion.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline