All,

I currently have a SD 59 in the neck of my 88 LP Std plugged in to a Top Hat King Royale 2x12.

I absolutely hate the pickup - it has no mids! Although I was a fan of it at first.

The neck pup of my LP is used only for cleans, so I am in the market for a neck pickup that has glassy, bright and a chimey clean sound to it (and obviously more mids).

As far as EQ balance, I would like Treble & Mids > Bass.

Thoughts?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
SD Sh-2 (Jazz) is popular as a neck pickup. I have them in two guitars. AFAIK, it is the brightest standard humbucker SD make, and is very chimey in the right guitar. If you want mids, you might end up with mud.

Have a listen to the tone comparison sound bites on the SD website for the pickups you mention.
^ Yeah I was thinking jazz too if he wants to stick to duncans. the alnico II pro is probably too warm. Not sure i've tried the PG in the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would go with a Jazz, however you might wanna try the sentient.

Its a lot warmer than the Jazz but not as much as the Alnico ll pro

OTOH i did see a video of the screamin demon in the neck position the other day and worked quite well. but not amazingly middy
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Thanks guys.

Why do so many people give the jazz so much crap though? I thought I was being trolled here for a second...

Will it really be the best fit for just straight up cleans? Again, something with more mids than the 59 would be great.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Think outside the box. Or in this case, the pickup ring.

Consider dropping a P Rail into your neck pickup spot. You have two single coils there to choose from, a rail-coil and a P90 coil. You can also run the pickup in humbucker mode, and in parallel (still humbucking mode).

You might also consider using a single-coil size stacked or side-by-side humbucker. I have a DiMarzio Fast Track II in the neck of one of my guitars, and it's outstanding. It was born out of necessity (I have a sustainer driver sitting right next to it in the same pickup ring). The electrical field is smaller and you have much less of the mud that you ordinarily get with a standard humbucker.

You might want to look at a mini-hum in that spot as well. Same thing; smaller string pickup area, more clarity.

And finally, you might consider a Kinman Noiseless P90 there. Single coil clarity, tons of midrange punch, no noise.
A P90 is pretty great as a neck PU. I currently have a Jazz in my 335 and would consider a trade for a 59. I am looking for more of a Larry Carlton neck tone these days and I think the 59 hits it well.

"glassy, bright and a chimey clean sound to it " describes the Duncan Jazz pretty well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by sloppyjoe109

(a) Why do so many people give the jazz so much crap though? I thought I was being trolled here for a second...

(b) Will it really be the best fit for just straight up cleans? Again, something with more mids than the 59 would be great.

(a) I don't know, do they? I've never really noticed, though I'd probably say more people (totally unscientific "that's what it seems like on the forums I post on" anecdotal evidence only ) would recommend the '59 than the jazz

(b) I dunno. I'd probably prefer the '59 for cleans, but then I don't mind the scoop. for more mids, yeah a jazz should work well.

then again, looking at the duncan tone chart it says the jazz's mids are the same as the '59. It also says the jazz is brighter. My ears tell me neither of those two things is true- however, I have them in different guitars so obviously I'm not exactly giving them much of a fair test.

er, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) I don't know, do they? I've never really noticed, though I'd probably say more people (totally unscientific "that's what it seems like on the forums I post on" anecdotal evidence only ) would recommend the '59 than the jazz

(b) I dunno. I'd probably prefer the '59 for cleans, but then I don't mind the scoop. for more mids, yeah a jazz should work well.

then again, looking at the duncan tone chart it says the jazz's mids are the same as the '59. It also says the jazz is brighter. My ears tell me neither of those two things is true- however, I have them in different guitars so obviously I'm not exactly giving them much of a fair test.

er, yeah.

Interesting comments on the 59 and the Jazz. It is true that in my case the Jazz sounds very different in two very different guitars. These are the SD sound bites. Listening through reasonable quality speakers, the Jazz sounds a bit twangier to me and no nasal in the mids. But it isn't a big difference, and I'm getting a bit deaf in the highest frequencies:

SD 59 clean neck

SD Jazz clean neck

Just based on these samples, I would still go for the Jazz.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 13, 2014,
Yeah. I dunno. Those clips sound to me like both of them (though obviously there could be a fair bit of psychology going on there, being prompted etc. means I think they sound the way I expect them to). In those clips the jazz sounds warmer and "jazzier". Which makes sense when you consider the name, and to me "jazzier" means warmer (less treble) and middier. But the tone chart says the opposite.

funnily enough the guitar I have the jazz in (theoretically at least) should be brighter, it's a bc rich mockingbird which is more or less all maple. i have the '59 in several different guitar but i have it in an edward LP and i'd still say it's a bit brighter and more scooped in that guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha ok cool, well I think its worth looking into the Jazz.

At this point, a 59-type pickup with more mids is ideally what i would like.
Quote by NeverMeant
Bump.

Any other suggestions?
Quote by NeverMeant
Seymour Duncan Full Shred
DiMarzio PAF Joe
DiMarzio Bluesbucker
DiMarzio 36th Anniversary

Just so you know, I have a Jazz in the neck of my RG520, and I don't like it because it needs more mids and highs.

I have a Full Shred in the neck of my H-301, and it is arguably the best neck pickup I've used. It is just perfect. Really fat and full distorted, pristine clean, not harsh or muddy in any way. Definitely an overlooked pickup, along with the bridge. They are my favorite pickups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 18, 2014,
^Do all of those sound good clean?

Don't see how a "full shred" fits into the bright, glassy/chimey clean sound I am going for.....
Quote by NeverMeant