Just got a band together and I was looking to play small gigs very soon. I'd be using a Fender Mexican Strat and a POD HD500 with the amp, but there are so many choices I don't know where to start. We play many different styles and a versatile amp would be needed. We play everything from Pixies to The Smiths to Nirvana to The Stone Roses. I would prefer the amp to be future-proof if possible as I'm 17 and don't have a great income. Thank you for any help!
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
Last edited by CalumFraser at Aug 12, 2014,
The POD HD500 is hella versatile and it sounds good.
If you read the instructions manual you'll be able to do more than you can dream of right now.
Also you'll be able to do it and get a good sound.

If I was you I'd send the pod directly to the PA system.

I mean, what is it that you don't feel satisfied enough with in the pod to want to upgrade?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Everything from the pixies to the smiths? Is that not a bit like when I say I play everything from ratt to winger?

Seriously though I'm not that familiar with either I guess I'm just wondering how big a difference of tone that is- if it's not that much tube is probably well worth considering with your kind of budget if you're gigging...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Edited the band scope if that helps. Yeah I thought valve but don't know what wattage I would need to play small gigs
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
haha no worries, as i said i'm not that well up on that type of stuff so it may well actually need pretty different gear. but to me the genre is fairly similar (though again that doesn't necessarily mean the gear is). I could be wrong but I think they use dirt pedals quite a bit so that'd give you some extra free (ok cheapish) versatility too.

do you need pristine cleans? and how small do you mean by "small"?

I don't gig but hopefully those answers will help the people who do to help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think Joey Santiago uses a jcm800 and Charles(tehehe) uses some sorta Fender, so I'd say an Egnater Rebel 20 sits comfortably in the middle ground of bright treble and dark crunch. Are you familiar with the Rebel20? Killer frickin' amp!

V. I have a friend that gigged for awhile with an AC15 1x12. If its just bars and you're mic'ed, 15-20w is fine.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 12, 2014,
Maybe a Vox AC15? I like the stuff you play and went with a used Crate V30 (one 12" speaker, 30 watt). It was $250 used; the Vox was $350, so I went for the extra volume. But I see people gig using the AC15 (which has twin speakers, 15 watt), playing the kind of music you do. New it's around $550?
What about one of the Jet Cities? Supposed to have a decent clean channel to accept the pod.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Just buy a decent powered wedge to go with your pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have an Egnater Rebel 20 and Rebel 112x cab for sale if you're interested. Its a superb sounding amp that is perfect for your styles!
The Blackstar HT-5R 2x10 is in your budget. Gets good reviews and everyone here rates them
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Cathbard
Just buy a decent powered wedge to go with your pod.

Seconded. You already have the front end of all the amps you'll need in that Pod.

You can get something like a Carvin PM15A http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A and start using the "cabs" emulations already in the HD500. These kinds of speakers can be laid over and used as floor wedges, put on a stand, used for keyboards, etc., etc. $299 here in the states.

At 37 pounds (this thing has a 15" LF speaker, remember), it's lighter than a lot of the smaller valve amps, and with 400W RMS (not peak, not "program"), there's enough power to support clean low end that the 100W full stack Marshalls can't even approach.

As for future proofing, this will always work as a practice amp, as part of a medium-size PA system, as a personal wedge if you're working with a larger PA, etc.
Quote by dspellman
Seconded. You already have the front end of all the amps you'll need in that Pod.

You can get something like a Carvin PM15A http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A and start using the "cabs" emulations already in the HD500. These kinds of speakers can be laid over and used as floor wedges, put on a stand, used for keyboards, etc., etc. $299 here in the states.

At 37 pounds (this thing has a 15" LF speaker, remember), it's lighter than a lot of the smaller valve amps, and with 400W RMS (not peak, not "program"), there's enough power to support clean low end that the 100W full stack Marshalls can't even approach.

As for future proofing, this will always work as a practice amp, as part of a medium-size PA system, as a personal wedge if you're working with a larger PA, etc.

+1

having your own personal wedge is a great thing when you are gigging. especially in smaller venues without a full monitor set up or separate desk.

just be aware at how loud you run it. learn to listen and use it at the lowest volume you can. This is coming from my experience as an engineer and there can be nothing more difficult to work with than overly loud personal wedges.

but its still a great plan. TBH i much build my own wedge with guitar speakers for personal use....
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen

just be aware at how loud you run it. learn to listen and use it at the lowest volume you can. This is coming from my experience as an engineer and there can be nothing more difficult to work with than overly loud personal wedges.

Good point. I actually get an auxiliary feed that gives me a mix of my own instruments plus voices (since I get to sing harmonies), but we're trying to keep stage volume *way* down and especially to keep stray noise out of the vocal mikes.

We've also used these speakers as fills for the down-front audience; they're often NOT hearing vocals and/or other parts of the band that only make it into the big mains on each side.
Even if down the track you buy a top end tube amp worth squillions, you won't regret owning a wedge. You can never own too many wedges. If there's one thing venues cut corners on, it's the stage monitors. If you own no other PA gear, you should own at least a decent wedge for yourself (and a mic or two, of course).

Ones that can double as FoH like dspellman showed you are worth their weight in yak fat. That would be a good option. Carvin make pretty good shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification