hey guys i hope you are having a wonderful day, i have this question about how low should a guitar be when using a strap, i see all these famous musicians playing with their guitars below their hip and like i try playing like that and i just cant, its really uncomfortable and when im playing songs i miss a lot, is it because im used to always playing sitting down? when i also try to play solos with the guitar below my hip my wrist barely can twist to play below the 12th fret, if i wear it like on my belly button thats fine but to really get it comfortable it has to be a little up and honestly i look like a total nerd or i dont know. thanks guys!!
Higher up is usually better for carpal tunnel and other joint health issues.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter how it looks. What matters is being comfortable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Its up to you and what you are playing. I have 3/4 guitar straps because of the different styles i play. I have my LTD lowest, like so the top of the guitar is just over my belt (im weird) then the other guitars at different heights.

but on all my straps i have 2 schaller locking things so i can adjust the height again.

TLDR Play what feels most comfortable to you. Look at Tom Morello compared to say someone in a hardcore band.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Just wear it where it feels comfortable. Some guy's like it low, and others like John Petrucci love nipple ridin'
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Yup. All about comfort. General rule of thumb is to have it the same height as if you were sitting down. Then you adjust from there, depending on comfort and such.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Have you seen how high up Tom Morello wears his guitar? Is there anyone on earth cooler than Tom Morello? Adjust your strap to wherever feels best.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Also want to add to the "set it the way it's comfortable suggestions", there's no one good way. Personally I like it somewhere in the middle, the bottom of the guitar is somewhere on the level of my belt, it's both comfortable to play chords and everything, but also comfortable to get full ROCK and everything.

And I MAY BE WRONG, but I've always been under the impression that guitars worn uber-low are quite often the domain of more straightforward rock or metal guitarists, while more technical players often prefer it higher. (Steven Wilson comes to my mind as an exception) Not trying to make any weird statements or anything, just this always seemed to be fairly common to me.
wear it wherever you like it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As the other posters said, do as feels right for you, which probably means holding the guitar rather high. I tried holding it low for a while, since I saw some guitarists do that, and gave it up. Returning to a higher position was a relief for my wrists and the smoothness of my playing.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
Quote by lucky1978
Have you seen how high up Tom Morello wears his guitar? Is there anyone on earth cooler than Tom Morello? Adjust your strap to wherever feels best.

Yes, plenty of people are cooler than Tom Morello(in fact, everyone who's never been in Star Trek: Voyager is cooler than Tom Morello).

But his guitar is at just the right height for him. It would feel totally wrong to me, but he'd probably outplay me no matter how comfy I got, so...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I used to hang my guitar quite low until I broke my wrist. Now I hang it as low as I can while still keeping my wrist straight otherwise I get tendonitis. The straighter you can keep your wrist while playing the better it is for your health. Well, unless you hang it so high that you look like a wanka and get into fights.
But really, all jokes aside. Hang it as high as you can tolerate. You don't have to look like a mariachi player to get your wrist fairly straight. that's what to aim for IMO. Just experiment, you'll thank me long term.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some people do it like Morello. Other people walk around bent over like Slash. Do whatever’s comfortable for your body.
A lot of what people do is simply fashion and stage show bs. Technically, your wrist should be straight. Do you want to look cool or do you still want to be playing without pain when you're 50? Looking the part may be part of the equation but you can't look the part if you can no longer play at all. Find a compromise, sure, but you only get one wrist - look after it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As far as Rock 'n Roll is concerned, I learned from Dean Ween that the guitar should either be positioned above or below, but not covering, the dick.

Take it or leave it; OT your question has been answered several times already: comfort should be the only deciding factor.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Cathbard
...you only get one wrist - look after it.

You get two, but yeah.

Where it's comfortable is where it's best. As I get older, I realise that no one really cares or thinks less of you if you play with your guitar around your neck.
I play in a hardcore band and both myself and the other guitarist play with the bottom of the guitar at about chest height. It's where we are most comfortable and play our best. No one has given us shit for it or even mentioned it. It's not really that important from a looks standpoint. People care way more if you can play guitar properly.

That said, I have been starting to play with the guitar a little bit lower than I used to. It gives me a bit more freedom to get loose and move around when playing shows.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Aug 15, 2014,
15 people said play where it is comfortable but what I didn't hear was this:

Practice playing guitar the way you normally prefer as well.

You mentioned you practice sitting down but gig standing up (obviously). Try practicing standing up.

Your muscles in your fingers, wrists, arms and even shoulders 'learn' how to play the riffs and solos you are trying to perform live. If you practice one way and play out another then your muscles get 'confused' and it makes your job harder. I'm not saying this is 100% true for everyone - just something to consider.
It's mostly about comfort and fashion, but in general, the more active your fretting hand, the higher the guitar tends to be.

-Jazzbos who play 437 different chords in every song tend to rest their chin on the guitar.

-Blues and progressive players who have a lot of fret movement, a little lower.

-3 chord rockers like it at waist level.

-Neanderthals like Slayer who drone on 1-2 power chords... guitar hangs at the knees.

YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The strap should be long enough for you spin the guitar around in the air. It's what Janick Gers does, and he's in Maiden.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
15 people said play where it is comfortable but what I didn't hear was this:

Practice playing guitar the way you normally prefer as well.

You mentioned you practice sitting down but gig standing up (obviously). Try practicing standing up.

Your muscles in your fingers, wrists, arms and even shoulders 'learn' how to play the riffs and solos you are trying to perform live. If you practice one way and play out another then your muscles get 'confused' and it makes your job harder. I'm not saying this is 100% true for everyone - just something to consider.

Actually in my case I play more standing than sitting down - first because I generally spend a lot of time sitting so why not have a change, second playing while sitting down kills my back in the long run, and third I just feel a bit more free when doing that.

I think it's also a good thing to do generally, probably depends on the music you play but generally I've always found playing while standing to be more of a challenge than sitting down, so it's better to get used to it.

So yep, I generally agree with the idea as well.