Is it possible to record half way decent stuff with a USB mic? I heard its hard to use a DAW with them because they don't have a line out, is this true? Not looking to release an EP or anything just want to put some stuff on the tube. I am a big fan of having a natural sound, I don't want to do much mixing or anything I just need to be able to put multiple tracks together and raise/lower the volume on stuff.

Much love,
Elsatanica
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Look over in the interfaces sticky, there's a section about them.

Short answer, they're generally just awful.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
"Generally" they are awful. I like to look on the bright side of things. I'm sure interfaces are better BUT if I was to get an interface then I would end up getting a cheap no name mic. So in my mind they would end up the same. What about the mics that plug into the mic port on your computer? Are they the same?
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
They are designed for VOIP, not for audio recording. The beauty of having an interface means you can upgrade later anyway. Plus you can get really good budget xlr mics. Even the most expensive usb mics aren't really music suitable.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
OK thanks for the reply
Depends what usb mics you have in mind, there are some dynamic USB mics by Samson and others that are for webcasting and they're fine mics,sampling maybe little low at 16/44 (CD quality) instead of say 24/48 which is what I use.
There are also USB adapter plugs to mxr sold that can take any mic, so essentially you can plkug any mic.
If you mean the generic dynamic mics for talking on Skype, they're essentially useless.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 12, 2014,
I'd imagine some of the offerings from Blue would be good enough for scratch demo recording. They'd also be on the pricier side, but that's still not as expensive as an interface + mic.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Cad have a dynamic at $25 that might be decent for guitar, I'd go for the known audio manufacturers, like Cad, Samson, Blue. Condenser might need to be backed a bit from the speaker and is different in nature, usually dynamic is preferred for close miking. Read on the difference of the two types of mics.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Ausb+microphones&keywords=usb+microphones&ie=UTF8&qid=1407942296&rnid=2941120011&ajr=2

You might need mic stand for these or you can put on a pillow.
An interface offers much much better analog to digital conversion and even the cheapest interface opens up the whole world of recording mics to your projects. Not a fan of USB mics. If cheap is most important and you don't really care about quality, simply record with your cell phone and transfer the tracks to your laptop. For scratch demos to capture ideas this is often good enough.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY