Page 1 of 2
I got a blackstar metal ht1. i got this one because i got it from zzounds.com with the payment plan. my vypyr was stolen. At first i plugged the squier into and it and it sounded thin and shitty. i was kind of disappointed. then i woke up after a nap plugged the ibanez in with the dactivator pickups and i had a totally different opinion. its not amazing blow you away quality obviously. but it was the best amp for me at around $300-350. and like i said i had to do the payment plan. its actually decent for me. as a guy that plays for a hobby and still sucks and everything lol. i realize most of you guys hate these amps. but for what it is i think i can get some solid tones out of it. i was able to make two short videos. yes i realize i suck lol. im hoping to get a cab later, of course im not loving the 8 inch speaker and no eq. so i see an eq, od, and 112 or 212 cab sometime in my future. maybe a tube change. not sure though.

Only way i could figure out how to do it was through facebook. hope it sheds some light on this amp, not many people have it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Aug 13, 2014,
I'm not a facebooker or whatever but HNAD! Who gives a shit what other people think about it, if its yours and you like it, play the shit out of it!

Btw, good tubes make a huge difference in lil amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks bud. I've noticed these type of tubes are really cheap too.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The RCA's look like the best value there.

Edit: Actually, the Toshiba. They're a good tube and very cheap. Not much more than modern shit. That's what I'd be grabbing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
The RCA's look like the best value there.

Edit: Actually, the Toshiba. They're a good tube and very cheap. Not much more than modern shit. That's what I'd be grabbing.

Yea. And GE, RCA and Sylvania are usually pretty good values.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
right on. ill have to look into those when the time comes.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Happy new amp day! That sucks that your Vypyr was stolen -- I feel your pain there; one time somebody broke into my house and stole BOTH of my electric guitars. I was not able to afford a new guitar for several months and finally had to "settle" for an Epiphone Les Paul (which, in retrospect, wasn't a bad guitar at all).

I couldn't listen to your clips, but I'd be interested to hear your new amp. Most of the hate Blackstar gets on here is not due to them being crappy amps -- they're not -- it's the fact that they basically lied in their marketing of the HT series by saying they are "all-tube" amps, and the fact that they are actually fairly pricey compared to some tonally better options. I can't say I've played a Blackstar and thought it sounded bad, it's just that I've played cheaper amps that sounded better to me.

Anyway, congrats!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Nooo! It’s a hybrid! Their marketing lies! The fleas in my neck beard make me this way!
Quote by jpnyc
Nooo! It’s a hybrid! Their marketing lies! The fleas in my neck beard make me this way!

HNAD romeozdistress! Who cares what others think its your amp and your sound. And HT1 does seem like a kickass practice amp.

I do have a facebook account but the links are not working for some reason.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
HNAD. I tried it like two weeks ago, very good amp.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
HNAD

I'm one of the people that isn't a BS fan, but if it does what you need it to that is what matters.

I have used Zzounds and AMS quite a few times because of their payment plain and have always been very happy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'll get some on YouTube tonight at least for sure. No doubt. Thanks guys. alright one is just a quick riff. like 15 seconds. hope thatll do until later tonight when I can make a longer video.

quick test
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have used Zzounds and AMS quite a few times because of their payment plain and have always been very happy

Zzounds payment plan kicks ass.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Zzounds payment plan kicks ass.

ohh for sure man. really happy I could do this. amplitube 3 just wasnt cutting it for me lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Are jj preamp tubes not as good as their power tubes?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
JJ pres are great, but amps can be very picky with the tubes you put in them.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by romeozdistress
Are jj preamp tubes not as good as their power tubes?

For a new made tube they are decent. In the big scope of tube (new and NOS) they are very mediocre, but NOS tubes cost a small fortune. So I consider JJ acceptable
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
do tubes have anything to do with feedback? i get some pretty bad feedback from this amp. im totally clueless about tubes.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It can. Is it a piercing feedback unrelated to the strings vibrating? If so, you may have a microphonic tube. While it's on and turned up a bit, tap the tubes lightly with a pencil. If the sound comes through the speakers, replace the tube.
You should always have spare tubes. As another test, you just try your spare and see what happens.

Preamp tubes are more commonly the culprit for microphonics but I've seen plenty of power tubes do it too. It's caused by the vacuum being compromised.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah its just piercing feedback with the strings muted even. ive been meaning to order some tubes. just trying to figure out which brand. i just want to make sure not to lose any gain. another thing ive seen people doing is replacing the speaker with the celestian eight 15. not sure which to go for first. i could always do tubes now and get the extension cab later. if i went the cheaper tube route like say jj or grooves or something like that i could do the both. these speaker is only like $25-30.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Groove tubes are rebranded. You have to decipher the code to know what they actually are. They can be anything.
I'd stick with JJ if you want to save a buck.

Extension cabinet is the best way to go. Get a nice closed backed 1x12.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thats what I was thinking too. ill probably just grab the jjs. although the tube store. has tube sets for the regular ht1 but not the metal version. im not looking for anymore gain or anything, just dont want to lose any.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It won't matter shit. Those things have a solid state boost up front. A normal old JJ ECC83S will do you just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
sweet. just pop em in right?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yep.
Not sure about the power tube though. I know that the HT-5 has a bias adjuster inside. Don't know about the HT-1. You might want to check over on the Blackstar forum about that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yep.
Not sure about the power tube though. I know that the HT-5 has a bias adjuster inside. Don't know about the HT-1. You might want to check over on the Blackstar forum about that.

ah okay, i ordered it either way. will arrive friday. ive been reading about it. i think its all good as long as its the same ecc83 style tube. but ill double check to make sure.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
With the HT-5 you just set it so the grids are at -25Vdc. That's a different tube though and probably different plate voltages and so forth. I'd definitely check.
The ECC83 won't need biasing, it's the ECC82 that's in question.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah i ordered the JJ ecc83, the one you said heh. not sure about the ecc82 i didnt order one of those yet.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
When it comes time for the ECC82, do look for NOS ones. Old ECC83's are getting silly expensive but you can often score NOS ECC82's for decent prices. Anything from the USA or Western Europe (including the UK) are pretty good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
When it comes time for the ECC82, do look for NOS ones. Old ECC83's are getting silly expensive but you can often score NOS ECC82's for decent prices. Anything from the USA or Western Europe (including the UK) are pretty good.

nice im gonna combine jj ecc83 with the tad ecc82 that suposed to be in there. ive read its a pretty good combo. we shall see.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
it had rubys in it. i put the jj ecc83 in now i just need to find a ecc82 and ill be golden. had no clue they were rubys in there. ordered a tung sol after reading reviews. should have just ordered the blackstar ht1 tune package from the tube store duh. lol oh well.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Aug 22, 2014,
sounds really awesome after tube change. now im just waiting on the celestion eight 15. got it for $30, a fraction of the price of a 112 cab. and id have to wait until tax time for that. so id rather do this because i could do it now. and i could get a cab later if need be.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ruby are like Groove Tubes; a rebranding outfit. Unless you decode the code, they can be anything too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ruby are like Groove Tubes; a rebranding outfit. Unless you decode the code, they can be anything too.

right on, they are backups now. thanks for the help man.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Page 1 of 2