Hello forumers.

I am looking for a good guitar to use for drop tunings. Or maybe even a good seven string. Not necesarily a baritone but rather a guitar that will just sound good in lower tunings. I would like to keep it under $500. I am also open to any brand because I like all brands and there are guitars from most brands I like.
I hope any one can help me thank you.
Last edited by FALCON1243 at Aug 13, 2014,
What tuning/s do you plan on using? What kind of music do you plan on playing?

If you're only in Drop D, pretty much any standard scale length guitar should do. In my opinion, you probably won't need anything special until you start going lower than Drop C.
wouldn't go with a floyd. or a regular trem that would usually be on a under $500 guitar. i recently got a Gibson SG faded special for under $500 and it goes drop to d/c/a without any tuning problems.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by Ghostmaker
What tuning/s do you plan on using? What kind of music do you plan on playing?

If you're only in Drop D, pretty much any standard scale length guitar should do. In my opinion, you probably won't need anything special until you start going lower than Drop C.

Drop C and lower.
Any guitar that is at least 24 3/4 inch scale is fine for drop tuning. Its more the strings that will assist with it. I use a 11-56 set that feels amazing in drop B, pretty good in A/A#, and ( with some perseverance) I got to Drop F ( for some Northlane and Meshuggah)
Quote by auzzietaco
Any guitar that is at least 24 3/4 inch scale is fine for drop tuning. Its more the strings that will assist with it. I use a 11-56 set that feels amazing in drop B, pretty good in A/A#, and ( with some perseverance) I got to Drop F ( for some Northlane and Meshuggah)

I've got to be honest dude, that sounds vomit-inducingly loose. I use a 60 for a low A on my 7 string and that's pushing it a little... god only knows how loose those strings are once you get down to an F on that scale length; you must have to play like the strings are made of glass to keep those notes ringing in tune...

TS: I reckon unless you're going much lower than an A you can make do just fine with anything with a normal scale length which means more or less any guitar will do what you want in terms of tuning. The real trick is finding strings that will keep tension at low tunings and won't ring out of tune if you hit them a bit harder. That gets more tricky the lower you go and really, if you're wanting to actually perform, a different set of strings for each tuning is the ideal.

Right now I'm using an ernie ball 10-46 set on my PRS (25" scale) for drop C and the low C is about as loose as I can really put up with but it holds tuning well enough for now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've got to be honest dude, that sounds vomit-inducingly loose. I use a 60 for a low A on my 7 string and that's pushing it a little... god only knows how loose those strings are once you get down to an F on that scale length; you must have to play like the strings are made of glass to keep those notes ringing in tune...

TS: I reckon unless you're going much lower than an A you can make do just fine with anything with a normal scale length which means more or less any guitar will do what you want in terms of tuning. The real trick is finding strings that will keep tension at low tunings and won't ring out of tune if you hit them a bit harder. That gets more tricky the lower you go and really, if you're wanting to actually perform, a different set of strings for each tuning is the ideal.

Right now I'm using an ernie ball 10-46 set on my PRS (25" scale) for drop C and the low C is about as loose as I can really put up with but it holds tuning well enough for now.

I used 10s in drop D when learning, then progressed to Drop C in 10s. Going to B was too much though. I then got an 11-54 set which did to about A#, then the 11-56 to help with A. The F was just as I put the strings on, and I tuend F F A# D# G C so that I only had one floppy string. The songs were also pretty heavy on palm muting, which help a little too.
Get a baritone.

Drop C and below means a baritone will be much better at keeping everything in tune. Plus, it'll play and feel like a guitar in regular tuning.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
Ibanez RGD?

Cant find any new ones really in the UK...

Ibanez. You suck.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by sykryk
Get a baritone.

Quite unnecessary, just needs the right set of strings.

Quote by Carrot
Ibanez RGD?

Cant find any new ones really in the UK...

Ibanez. You suck.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ibanez+RGD&num=100&safe=off&sa=G&hl=en-GB&gbv=1&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=2VLrU-70OoWM7AarkYCwCg&ved=0CBIQsxg Didn't look very hard did you?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by auzzietaco

Get a baritone. Drop C and below means a baritone will be much better at keeping everything in tune. Plus, it'll play and feel like a guitar in regular tuning.

In between these two there is another option. The 25.5" scale guitars. They are a bit longer, but not as long as a Baritone.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Tesco sell guitars?!
Tbf i took to the guitar pages i normally browse.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Tesco sell guitars?!
Tbf i took to the guitar pages i normally browse.

Apparently so, I had no idea either Google shopping is almost always my first stop if I'm just speculating, it's a very good way of finding out what the availability on something is like and general prices.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by FALCON1243
Hello forumers.

I am looking for a good guitar to use for drop tunings. Or maybe even a good seven string. Not necesarily a baritone but rather a guitar that will just sound good in lower tunings. I would like to keep it under $500. I am also open to any brand because I like all brands and there are guitars from most brands I like.
I hope any one can help me thank you.

This used to be custom guitar territory. Now there are too many to list.
Modest drop tunings are pretty well covered by standard six-strings with a 25.5" scale (the lower you go, the longer a scale you'll probably want -- think of a grand piano as opposed to an upright spinet). Rondo Music has an amazing selection of seven strings in a variety of body shapes, with and without trems, in 25.5" and 27" scales, and well within your budget. This one's a custom that someone didn't pay for (only 1 available): http://www.rondomusic.com/septor727ebcustom.html
As long as it has a hardtail bridge, you should be fine. I do recommend either a 25.5" or 27" scale, depending on how low you are tuning though.
Thank you for all that but are there any guitars that sound good for drop tunings or maybe pickups?
Quote by FALCON1243
Thank you for all that but are there any guitars that sound good for drop tunings or maybe pickups?

Depends what you want out of your sound, there are many guitars, many pickups, and even more combinations of the two out there that will work. You really need to be more specific.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Schecter has some 6-strings which are 26,5" scale, so in-between regular and baritone scale basically, and they're factory tuned to B standard as far as I know. And pretty much every Schecter ever works well with dropped tunings (pickups and the whole design), so that would be my suggestion. Although I think even their 25,5" models should work fine if you don't go drop G or something.

I'd like to offer a bit more precision in terms of exact series/models, but unfortunately I'm not quite sure where to look for prices in $... Generally my personal choice/recommendation here would be the Blackjack SLS EX (played one and it's awesome on every possible level), but that may be a bit over your budget.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Aug 13, 2014,