Hey guys!

I've recently got a BOSS FV50L volume pedal after some research. However I'm facing some tone sucking issues. Pretty irritating as according to my findings, it shoud work! I've noticed some roll off in overall volume and the highs. The sound isn't as responsive as it should be if I were to plug my guitar straight to the amp.

My current setup:

Tuner (Polytune) -> Compressor (SP Comp) -> Overdrives (BOSS SD1) -> Volume Pedal (FV50L) -> Chorus (Arion CH1) -> Delay (Nova ND1) -> Looper (Ditto)

Pedals are being powered by Cioks DC10

I am currently using an EG with passive pickups.

I'm only managed to troubleshoot and narrow down the VP as the culprit. Because everything works perfectly fine without the VP.

Anyone out there that could give some advice? Am I doing something wrong with my setup? Should I test each individual patch cables?

Thanks!
The FV50L is the low impedance version. You need the high impedance version.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
That is the last thing that I'd like to hear.. Considering the fact that I've spent so much time researching on whether I should get the H or L type VP.

Even if I want the VP chained after Drives and before Modulations, I still strictly need the 250K?

I've heard some saying that the 250k taper and sweep will be ruined at that configuration..

How about a buffer pedal directly before my VP?

If you buffer the volume pedal, it should be fine. And yes, you need the 250k, because as soon as you turn off one of the drive pedals, your signal is no longer buffered. The 250k sweep will be the same. A resistive divider doesn't really give two shits if driven from a low impedance source.

Honestly though, 250k is still too low for a guitar to drive, IMO. The FV500H is a better option, for multiple reasons. The adjustable feel is great. Only downside is that it's huge.

EDIT: Just realized you're using an SD-1. It doesn't have any true bypass mods or anything, does it? Output impedance of that is under 1k, which should be sufficiently low to drive a 25k pot with no issues. You may want to check the cables connecting the volume pedal to everything else. If the insulation touches the tip, you'll lose highs and volume when you shouldn't.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 13, 2014,
I see. Hopefully the dealer allows me to exchange it to a FV50H.... Anyway, i just wanna clarify this. Shouldn't the drive still buffer the signal even when it's off? I've read it somewhere claiming it does.
Yea, that's what's confusing. I didn't realize you were using an SD-1. Do you have a way to check the cables?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I guess I'll have to go through a thorough troubleshoot by trying out all the possible placements and testing all the wires on the board. If worst comes to worst, I'll have it replaced.

Will update in a bit.

Meanwhile if anyone else has any advices or tips, please help! Thanks!
Gosh. I can't believe it guys.. It was a careless mistake... After testing the patch cables, I unplugged everything off the board. Then I realized the nova was on 9V instead of 12V. That's the reason for the tone suck.

I've got everything rewired and it's running fine!