So i bought a modern player strat (hsh) awhile ago as my first electric guitar. id read a couple reviews and seen a demo of it and really liked it so i got it. anyways this thing just kinda sounds like it sucks to me.. it buzzes all over even though it has new strings and the tone is just off. i have a fender blues jr amp. i was wondering if i get it setup and get new pickups if it will be better? i really like john mayers tone and i notice he uses all single coils and a lot of people do too that have the same kind of tone and i get that i wont get his tone. I JUST WANT MY GUITAR TO NOT SOUND TERRIBLE PLEASE HELP
1 - Take it to a decent tech and get it properly set up. That will sort the buzzing issues.

2 - Identify what it is about it that sounds terrible after that. No one can help you if you don't know what it is you don't like about the tone. If all else fails, record something with your current set up, find an example of what you want to sound closer to and then come back and ask. Without at least a basic knowledge of how you sound now and how you want to end up, there's no way anyone else can help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Asa noted above - get your guitar to a tech for a proper setup. If you're guitar is buzzing it will always sound terrible, regardless of the pickups.
Well Zaphod and reverb have taken care of the buzzing issue.

I'll give you my take on the tone hunting issue- humbuckers for the JM tone will be unsuccessful. Since most who chase his tone go for the Where the Light Is sound (myself included- I think I've nailed it as far as I could without actually having his gear, skill, and exact style), single coil is the best thing for you. That tone is achieved by running the neck and middle pickup, and in this case, the neck's humbucker and the mahogany body move you further from achieving the tone, instead giving you something a bit muddier and darker.
Quote by chrismendiola
Well Zaphod and reverb have taken care of the buzzing issue.

I'll give you my take on the tone hunting issue- humbuckers for the JM tone will be unsuccessful. Since most who chase his tone go for the Where the Light Is sound (myself included- I think I've nailed it as far as I could without actually having his gear, skill, and exact style), single coil is the best thing for you. That tone is achieved by running the neck and middle pickup, and in this case, the neck's humbucker and the mahogany body move you further from achieving the tone, instead giving you something a bit muddier and darker.

What would you recommend? do i need to just get a new guitar or what could i do to mine?
Quote by rawrimjake
What would you recommend? do i need to just get a new guitar or what could i do to mine?

I just realised something. Don't Modern Player guitars have coil splits?
Quote by chrismendiola
I just realised something. Don't Modern Player guitars have coil splits?

i dont know what coil splits are?
Quote by rawrimjake
i dont know what coil splits are?

A coil split is, in my understanding (I'm also a layman when it comes the guitar), is a function that allows humbucking pickups to produce single coil-like sounds. They are most commonly controlled with push-pull pots. I did some research and it looks like I was right. One of the tone knobs should be able to pulled back or pushed down, depending on its current position. If I'm correct, pull it back for the coil-split, push back down for humbucker sounds.

This is still far from the Mayer tone as the tone is quite dark, but at least now you know more about your guitar than you did before this.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 15, 2014,