So, our band has a tour coming up in October and I really thought going pro on this one (gear wise). I saved up money for a pro setup and bought myself a rack amp case. Here is what I have so far in that case: Marshall JVM, Furman Pl-8, MXR 10 band eq (runs all the time), Rack tuner, Rocktron HUSH, TC electronic g-major 2 (I haven't ordered it yet,that's a whole another story) and my Crybaby 535q (can't live or function without that) and a TC Spark booster(bought it like a week ago, love it to pieces). Basically it's a lot of crap in a huge case. And Five guitars

Problem: I used to switch guitars with a standby switch on an amp but it has started to piss me off, than i switched to a A/B/Y box and it has worked for a while but it became very slow because I can only use 2 guitars at the same time. AND Then I went on youtube and watched couple of those Rig Rundown's and saw that everyone uses those Whirlwind Multiselector pro's and I thought COOL finally found a solution to all my miseries. I went to see how much did it cost, and that thing is expensive as *** for what it does which is basically a fancy a/b/y box with a couple of switches. Another thing, you can't get that thing in Europe(I checked most major European music stores). So is there another way? If it doesn't work out I can still go back and use my A/B box.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Last edited by MatejSJ at Aug 13, 2014,
How about a small mixer? Plug all five guitars into it and then run up the fader on the one that you're going to use. Output goes to your pedal train.
the problem you have with that is that you will be outputting at line level not instrument level. which might cause ou some tonal problems.

However you could do this with a re-amp box after the mixer.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Honestly, with my old tube rigs, I've mostly just kicked on the tuner, pulled the plug, switched, plugged in and kicked the tuner back off. Why bother with the standby switch?

But I've also had some expensive switching rigs (Voodoo Commander-like custom rigs), and got VERY used to a gig that had a tech handing me the new guitar (with wireless unit) and taking away the other guitar (with its own wireless unit). I didn't pay attention to what went on with the electronics for that at the time. Very cushy.
Mixer idea is great but that takes a lot of space and space is expensive when you are in another country haha. That's why I built this rig so I have everything in one place. Good idea.

Quote by dspellman
Honestly, with my old tube rigs, I've mostly just kicked on the tuner, pulled the plug, switched, plugged in and kicked the tuner back off. Why bother with the standby switch?

Yeah, I didn't have a tuner at the time. I was very poor, I had one of those clip on tuners. They suck
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Boss Tuner on your pedal board. Hit mute, switch guitars, off you go... I do this all the time. When switching from Fender to Gibson I usually have to adjust my amp settings on the Mesa though to adjust for hotter pickup output.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 13, 2014,
I have a wireless unit on my strap with a Neutrik silent jack. I just unplug, unhook straplocks, switch guitars hook up new guitar, plug in wireless and play without even taking strap off my shoulder.
give yourself over to absolute pleasure
If you're taking five guitars on tour, I'd see about trimming that. Unless you play in 5 different tunings for more than one song each, then you can stand to leave one or two at home. What's your set length? You shouldn't be switching too often, that kills momentum and can make you look unprofessional if you don't tailor your setlist for minimal changes. Obviously that's subjective, but I figured I'd share my 2c.

That said, maybe a second a/b box in front of your other a/b box? You may need a buffer (if you don't already) but that would work.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
What I'm currently assembling for my rig to solve this issue is buying 2 more RF transmitters for my wireless - installing them on dedicated straps for the guitars, and then all I have to do is press a button, put down one guitar, pick up another, press a button, and go. Just put em' all on the same channel.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Sid McCall
If you're taking five guitars on tour, I'd see about trimming that. Unless you play in 5 different tunings for more than one song each, then you can stand to leave one or two at home. What's your set length? You shouldn't be switching too often, that kills momentum and can make you look unprofessional if you don't tailor your setlist for minimal changes. Obviously that's subjective, but I figured I'd share my 2c.

That said, maybe a second a/b box in front of your other a/b box? You may need a buffer (if you don't already) but that would work.

Yeah, I have 3 tunings, so 3 main guitars and 2 backups. Show is about an hour and 20 min. I have two guitars with floyd roses so I need that many. haha
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2