When my guitar is in E standard and I then tune down to C# standard, for a while the strings drift UP in tuning (i.e. become sharper or higher-pitched) until they stabilise. When I go the other way the reverse happens.

Anyone know the physics behind this, if it's true?
Quote by Jehannum
When my guitar is in E standard and I then tune down to C# standard, for a while the strings drift UP in tuning (i.e. become sharper or higher-pitched) until they stabilise. When I go the other way the reverse happens.

The neck is made of wood, wood is prone to flexing under tension.
When you go from E to C# you're releasing tension from the neck and you truss rod is pulling the neck back since there is less tension.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Also, strings stretch out and stretch out different amounts depending on the tension, since C# requires less tension, the string may be retracting a little bit. This problem can be made far more obvious on a guitar with a whammy bar (and alleviated faster with it as well).
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
and that's the only reason i dont use a guitar with a whammy bar, far too lazy to deal with that
Quote by olix95
and that's the only reason i dont use a guitar with a whammy bar, far too lazy to deal with that

lolwut?

All good whammy bar systems are designed so this isn't even a concern -- unless you retune like TS did.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
lolwut?

All good whammy bar systems are designed so this isn't even a concern -- unless you retune like TS did.

I believe that's what he means, switching tunings with a trem sucks ass
Quote by Jehannum

You tune the strings quickly. The stress on the guitar reduces. The guitar reacts slowly - an hour or more. The guitar expands (bends backwards) and the tuning goes up.
Quote by Velcro Man
I believe that's what he means, switching tunings with a trem sucks ass

Well, yes...but that's the downside of a trem vs. a hardtail.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
lolwut?

I have a bad habit of retuning, plus I have a crap whammy bar system as far as I'm concerned...
Quote by olix95
I have a bad habit of retuning, plus I have a crap whammy bar system as far as I'm concerned...

Don't we all?
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3