Any suggestions for a really good alternative active pickup other than EMGs for metal. Would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks. Rock On!!
Seymour Duncan Blackouts are really good. Is there a specific reason you want active pickups? There are tons of passive pickpups with tons of output, a lot of which WILL sound better than actives.
If you don't like the regular EMGs, try the EMG-X series or the new EMG 57/66 combo.

The Seymour Duncan AHB-1 or AHB-2 Blackouts are worth a shot too. The AHB-1 isn't quite as aggressive as an EMG 81 but it's more organic and less compressed.
I like the SD Blackouts better than the EMGs, personally. YMMV.
Blackouts prob. I'm a recent passive convert though. 8 years of nothing but actives, and now I don't want to use em anymore
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help. The only reason why I was wanting actives is because I never have had any before and really wanted to give them a try but hated to pay such a ridicules price. Thanks
EMGs are not ridiculously priced. You can get an 81/85 set all day long on eBay for $100, and even retail a set is $200 which includes all the pots, caps, and the stereo output jack you'll need to replace. That's well within the range of a good set of humbuckers. Retail on a set of nickel JB/Jazz passives is 180, 130 with no covers, and that's without any electronics. Not surprisingly, Blackouts are 180 a set. That's just what a good set of active pickups costs. You can try your luck on cheap dragonfires or whatever, but EMGs are definitely reasonably priced by market standards.

It's reasonable to not want to pay $200 just to try some pickups, but that doesn't mean they're overpriced.
Quote by gilhibbenkniv
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help. The only reason why I was wanting actives is because I never have had any before and really wanted to give them a try but hated to pay such a ridicules price. Thanks

If you just want to try them out, it'd be more worth it to just go to a store and play a guitar that has them. It's a bit senseless really to buy pickups just to see how they sound.

Unless you don't have a store by you.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Don't forget about clones! I've heard good things about dragonfires set! Yes, gfs makes them to but I hear they're a lot more vintage oriented. The dragonfires are like 80$'s for everything you need to cram them into your axe
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal